Playing in the Sandbox Group Build Sept 1, 2024 - Jn 1, 2025

2021 IPMS USA Nats in Las Vegas, Nv.

Clunkmeister

Thanks for the link.   I see it's off the strip.  Must be why the room rate is so much lower.  I've already done something like 6-8 trips out to Vegas with work and one Christmas trip to take the inlaws.   Lots of stuff to do other than Vegas stuff.  Valley of Fire, Red Rock, drive out to Utah to some of the many parks  (Zion is breath taking) Hoover dam, Grand Canyon.  List goes on and on.    Flying down INTO the canyon on a helo was the experience of a lifetime! 

And don't forget people watching on the strip!  But much better in the spring when the dry heat is not 3 digits. 

• Like 4

I have been in Vegas several times, mostly passing while going for different places in the desert. Maybe this will be a chance to meet some friends in California and have a surf in Carlsbad, lets see.

A place where I really like to stay in Vegas is the Red Rock Hotel, a little bit outside, but the rooms and views are great and I spent nights there looking at the gleaming but not appealing Strip zipping self prepared Manhattans and had a great time with my wife.

And the Bowling alley in the basement is a true classic, entering there makes you feel like the Dude from 'The Big Lebowsky'

Cheers Rob

P1060841.thumb.JPG.540f799a5cd9b47fa24730b11473f25c.JPG

• Like 6

• Administrators

Rob, I'm seriously hoping this might be a time we can all get together for some fun and friendship.   Personally, I'm not a Vegas "Fan" and really don't think all that much of the whole nightlife and gambling scene,  but I absolutely love everything else. The landscape is some of the most beautiful in the world, IF you know where to go. The sunsets are truly second to none, and if you like airplanes, guns, fast cars and lots of other seriously cool stuff, then it's the place to go.  It's just so far over the top as to be almost unbelievable.  I never thought I'd say Dubai is second to anything, but as a 'cool place to go', Vegas definitely gives Dubai a run for it's money

• Like 5

On 8/13/2019 at 4:38 PM, DocRob said:

And the Bowling alley in the basement is a true classic, entering there makes you feel like the Dude from 'The Big Lebowsky'

Then Brian "the Dude" better go for sure....

17 minutes ago, harv said:

Its lots of fun if you know where to go.....harv

And it's a good excuse for Harv to visit his son!!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• Administrators
2 hours ago, The Dude said:

Yeppers!  I plan on going to both Texas and LV. I'm gonna have to start saving (and building) for them now. :lol:

Yeah, me too. Big plans for next year.  Lancaster, Bison C, Miss September, and I’d love to do a Kingfisher.

Somewhere in there is an HPH C-47 that will be either a Lambair freighter or an RCAF bird in a similar scheme to the Lanc. I doubt it’ll make it for next year, but maybe Omaha in 22....

It’s such a great time to be a large scale modeler with so many cool kits in the world to choose your dream build from.

• Like 6

10 hours ago, Clunkmeister said:

Rob, I'm seriously hoping this might be a time we can all get together for some fun and friendship.

Yeah Ernie it would be so cool to meet you all there in Las Vegas. I, like you don't like that artificial oasis in the desert that much, but it's a great place to meet, accessible from everywhere, at least I hope even from my tiny island.

The first time I was in Vegas I was really fascinated by the gleaming sparkling city which so much resembled the American Dream brought to me via TV, but I was young by then and Vegas had still something of that pioneer / mob approach of the 60's and 70's. Now to me it's completely streamlined and lost nearly all of it's fascination and is oozing an atmosphere of desperation and put on happiness.

I hope I can put that aside with a healthy dose of friends to meet there and kits to view. I will have to convince my wife to go, but that won't be too hard, as we have good friends in California and I could make the trip to the desert on my own.

And Ernie, you are right, there are some of the nicest places on earth near by, so it's always a possibility to go out into the desert.

Cheers Rob

P1050944.thumb.JPG.74b2d122133744097ef5915d2ea55a8d.JPG

• Like 4