The Great LSP Twins Group Build Starts Jan 24, 2024 - End July 3, 2024 ×

Lost my mojo into airplane modelling.

Guest DannyVM

Guest DannyVM

Like title say's, i think this happens to every modeller in a certain time.:omg:

For now, i started 5+ airplane 1/32 kit's and after a few hours i'm tired to make some progress on them. That's what i call losing the mojo.......:wtf:

So..............:construction:

I'm not a guy who stand's firm at one place, so i decided to get back to my old love...........figure modeling. To be honest, i neglected this form of modeling for a long time, so i thought this is the moment to get back into the saddle.

I decided to start with an old project i started some years ago. I've been busy now for a few day's to clean all part's and restart the priming and painting process, except, this time i will do a whole new approach for this. 

Like you all seen, i bought some diorama goodies last friday. I always wanted to do something with water so i decided to put the figure into a little nature diorama. For this i will do some major research and buy some major vegetation and textures products to achieve this sort of diorama. Most of them i still have in my toolbox so i'm well equipped for this. My skills, well short said, they are rusted......:tank:

So this is the figure, hopefully i will not get a ban from this forum to show some naked flesh.:hsmack::wub:

xgj11bcl.jpg

Regards

Danny

22 minutes ago, DannyVM said:

That's what i call losing the mojo.......:wtf:

Hi Danny, know the feeling, but it never is as permanent as it seems in the actual moment. A change of subject sometimes is like Ctrl-Alt-Del for the brain and there is new passion after some weeks. To me surfing and biking or running in the mountains a lot is good for a reset, as I'm physically exhausted afterwards and the emptiness of exhaustion doesn't last long and there is fresh modelling energy.

Last week I painted figures for my RSO GB build and had fun with it, even when it was tempting and daring and I was firstly a little afraid of it. Things I learned where mostly, that there is a lot to learn and I will do that with some figure painting in larger scale in wintertime. I have a well filled stash of nice white metal and resin figures and I like to train my skills with these.

I'm looking forward to your progresses, naked or not, I don't care (I have actually painted a peeing German tanker :D), but what really interests me is how you tackle water effects if your speaking about clear resin. I have half a dozen dios planned which include water, like an abandoned burned out Japanese tank on the beach of an Island directly on the shore line, half in the water or a Supermarine Walrus rescuing pilots on a raft. Another will be a Steampunk submarine towed to a Jetty but mostly underwater and under it is a coral reeve and some divers.

Please show your figure painting, it's such an interesting subject, because it's all about skill (or not :rofl:) and technique which is fun to study and learn.

Cheers Rob

• Like 6

Look forward to seeing your work on this Danny. I'm intrigued as to how those resin water products work, so keen to see how your dio progresses.

I can sympathise with the lack of mojo - my Greek A7 build is grinding along slowly as I'm struggling to get the oil dot fading to look how I want it in my head. I know how it 'should' look and I can get it there on the paint mule but it's just not happening on the real thing.

I'm gonna give it a couple of more weeks and if I'm still stuck I'm going to start a new armour build for a change up.

• Like 6

While breakfast I was browsing through my 'Water' references and will present some here which have great examples not only for pure water from puddle to ocean, but also ice and snow, mostly combined with figures. I hope you don't mind me towing your thread into deeper water temporarily :D.

The Weathering Magazine has some nice examples in it

IMG_6334.thumb.JPG.ecb37be7e7661a3aca24dece72f2981d.JPG

Last but not least there is an article about my favorite 'water artist' in modelling Jean Bernard Andre, if you google his work, you will be amazed if you haven't already had the pleasure. 

IMG_6333.thumb.JPG.5b67ca243407536c60b61d27cee23b2d.JPG

This is another great source of water and ice/snow themes in modellimng

IMG_6335.thumb.JPG.374eae301dc90405869662919ba69ce5.JPG

Not to forget this compendium, with great ideas and ho to's

IMG_6337.thumb.JPG.e61e3cc19c8598ece230567c3a2a41a7.JPG

Last but not least this book, non related to water is a great source for the construction and painting of figures in more fantasy orientated way. The chosen examples are very interesting and it lead me to some of my future dio ideas

IMG_6336.thumb.JPG.85d755093b76c8f5551b5965c7880896.JPG

Cheers Rob

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Boy do I know about burn out. I'm struggling with it myself, but the end is near. Most definitely looking forward to this. I will do my figure modeling through you and others. Also how to on water.......harv :popcorn:

• Like 7

Like others have said, we've all been there at some point. Sometimes it's the particular build, other times it's the subject in general. My B-25 builds are stalled out at the moment and have been for a few months now. I've been mostly building armour this year and just got back to a CT-133 I started I don't know how many years ago. Hopefully I make it through that.

Switching it up is often a great way to find motivation or renew it. 

As for water effects, I'll be watching what you do there as my son wants to do a diorama with water in it.

Carl

• Like 5

Guest DannyVM
18 hours ago, DocRob said:

I'm looking forward to your progresses, naked or not, I don't care (I have actually painted a peeing German tanker :D), but what really interests me is how you tackle water effects if your speaking about clear resin. I have half a dozen dios planned which include water, like an abandoned burned out Japanese tank on the beach of an Island directly on the shore line, half in the water or a Supermarine Walrus rescuing pilots on a raft. Another will be a Steampunk submarine towed to a Jetty but mostly underwater and under it is a coral reeve and some divers.

I'm still a little bit into the research phase Rob. I always take photo's of landscapes or detail vegetation and water when i'm on vacation. This way i can study the way water forms around rocks etc. Soon i will make a fresh topic.

18 hours ago, GusMac said:

Look forward to seeing your work on this Danny. I'm intrigued as to how those resin water products work, so keen to see how your dio progresses.

Thank's for the interest mate.:thumbsup2: To be honest, same here. I never worked with this sort of products, so i'm very curious about them.

16 hours ago, DocRob said:

While breakfast I was browsing through my 'Water' references and will present some here which have great examples not only for pure water from puddle to ocean, but also ice and snow, mostly combined with figures. I hope you don't mind me towing your thread into deeper water temporarily :D.

Not at all Rob,:popcorn: It's always nice to know about certain new reference, and the ones you show here are surely very interesting. At the moment i'm using these.

5vKVoSul.jpg

16 hours ago, Bomber_County said:

Danny, looking forward to this modelling departure, is the Tirpitz on hold as well?

Well Phil, the Tirpitz is a long term project, and it's still very alive for sure, except, i need to clear some space at the moment so i packed the model back into it's safe confinement, It will sure rise again in some time.

16 hours ago, harv said:

Boy do I know about burn out. I'm struggling with it myself, but the end is near. Most definitely looking forward to this. I will do my figure modeling through you and others. Also how to on water.......harv :popcorn:

Thank's for hopping in Harv.:thumbsup2: Like i said before, my figure painting skill's are a little bit rusted, but with some patience and some healthy sense it will turn out acceptable.

15 hours ago, BlrwestSiR said:

As for water effects, I'll be watching what you do there as my son wants to do a diorama with water in it.

Thank's Carl, stay tuned mate, from the moment i have all goodies to start, i will start a new topic.

Regards

Danny

On 8/18/2019 at 9:08 PM, DannyVM said:

Like title say's, i think this happens to every modeller in a certain time.:omg:

For now, i started 5+ airplane 1/32 kit's and after a few hours i'm tired to make some progress on them. That's what i call losing the mojo.......:wtf:

So..............:construction:

I'm not a guy who stand's firm at one place, so i decided to get back to my old love...........figure modeling. To be honest, i neglected this form of modeling for a long time, so i thought this is the moment to get back into the saddle.

I decided to start with an old project i started some years ago. I've been busy now for a few day's to clean all part's and restart the priming and painting process, except, this time i will do a whole new approach for this. 

Like you all seen, i bought some diorama goodies last friday. I always wanted to do something with water so i decided to put the figure into a little nature diorama. For this i will do some major research and buy some major vegetation and textures products to achieve this sort of diorama. Most of them i still have in my toolbox so i'm well equipped for this. My skills, well short said, they are rusted......:tank:

So this is the figure, hopefully i will not get a ban from this forum to show some naked flesh.:hsmack::wub:

xgj11bcl.jpg

Regards

Danny

mojo1
/ˈməʊdʒəʊ/
noun
US
  1. a magic charm, talisman, or spell.
    "someone must have their mojo working over at the record company"
    • influence, especially magic power.
      "the name has no mojo"

Okay??????? :blink:
  • Like 2

I too suffer the dreaded burn out now and again but I'm blessed with dual afflictions, planes and trains. Model aircraft are mostly a winter hobby for me unless it gets really nasty outside and trains are my summer hobby as I have an outdoor layout and I like being outdoors when the weather is nice. Usually by the end of seasonable weather I'm beginning to burn out on trains and welcome getting back to aircraft and vise verse. It's not always that reliable and I have had some years when the urge ran opposite to the seasons but either way I get a break and a chance to recharge now and again.

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...
Guest DannyVM

Disaster struck last evening.:wallbash:

When working on the female indian figure, i was securing her to the painting clamp when she fell from a significant height right onto the hard floor. This resulted in losing most of her body part's which came lose, and to get things worse, deforming some crucial area's, like her foot, arm's and her breasts.............I'm back from where is started and i need to tackle those deformed part's which will not be easy. I need to sculpt some details back and that's something i never done and probably never will do. Sculpting isn't my cup of tea to be honest.

Oh well, i put her into her carton confinement and maybe one day i will put her back to life, but at the moment i gave myself a time-out to get thing's sorted out.:spam:

Guest DannyVM
1 hour ago, smitty44 said:

How I defeat waning mojo.....build a Hasegawa kit straight out of the box, no extra anything.

Good idea, often that's what i do to get the mojo back.  I will see, i'm into some idea's which i will try to put them onto the modeling table. One of them is the all resin HPH L-39 Albatros. I know, it's an airplane, but the fact it's all resin and i have some idea's to display it. Regarding the water dio, i will search for a decent figure to display into a little vignet. Within two weeks there is a modeling convention, so until that time i will start maybe on the L-39.