The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

Hurricane llc Trop.

• Administrators

Been picking away at this. A big refreshing change from all resin and big chop jobs on bombers. 

OOB but for a Yahu panel and HGW belts. This should be a quick, somewhat straightforward build of one of my favorite WW2 fighters.

My big beef on the kit is that on a few of the completed builds I’ve seen, the wing seems flat where it shouldn’t be. The real Hurri had a flat center section and dihedral on the outboard panels.   So, we check the fit of the main parts and I’m pleasantly surprised. The only area that looks hinky is the upper wing half to fuselage.  Maybe that’s why the kit seems to give the dreaded flatwing look?

3A41BF7C-D743-443B-9FCA-F857970DE9CC.jpeg

DB1D18AF-3612-40C2-B411-46D120AB3868.jpeg

6B96E2A3-2CA0-4906-80F4-6748990C6E5F.jpeg

E6AABCDA-96CB-468C-9AD9-95C1594F1902.jpeg

0430D100-6F1A-4F20-A6F5-1EE8BF14F13A.jpeg

• Like 5

• Administrators
18 minutes ago, crazypoet said:

So is this a fix that can be applied just through careful gluing or will there need to be surgery?

From what I see, just closing the upper foot gap gets it right on. If I just do the old snort run trick of attaching the upper wing halves first, I think we’ll be home free. But as of now, I’m guessing. All builds talk of issues with the interaction between the fuselage cage and the wheel well.  I’m forewarned, so I expect it won’t be an issue.  I’ll also watch for any slight preacher of the fuselage halves when inserting the cage and panel. That stuff creeps up on you and messes up alignment later on.

I love these kind of builds. OOB, but with enough adventure to make it interesting.  And, to make things better, I love Hawker’s sturdy underdog. 

• Like 3

I found on the Pacific Coast Models kit gluing the upper wing to the fuselage was the only way to go, it resulted in a slight misalignment at the gun ports and landing light but fixed both gaps and dihedral issues. I'm guessing your kit is the Fly kit?

• Like 3

i keep thinking how much I love the Hurricane and how many different ones I want to build...

...and then I see this kit and realise that life is too short, and the fact that i have the Trumpeter 1/24 bird in my stash

of course that doesn't mean I won't be following this with interest and wishing a speedy and successful build!!

:rolleyes:

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, JohnB said:

Good luck with this build Ernie. At one point in my build I threw it on the floor and stomped on it (good thing it was on thick carpet!). :D

Really? Wow, must have had some cushy slippers on too John. 

I dropped my PCM Hurricane by accident when it was nearly done. Sadly it didn't survive in a salvageable state so I was p!asked at that one. 

• Like 2

• Administrators
2 minutes ago, nmayhew said:

i keep thinking how much I love the Hurricane and how many different ones I want to build...

...and then I see this kit and realise that life is too short, and the fact that i have the Trumpeter 1/24 bird in my stash

of course that doesn't mean I won't be following this with interest and wishing a speedy and successful build!!

:rolleyes:

Honestly, so far it's been an absolute pleasure to build. there are no locator pins so make sure you look ahead or have a reference available, but as of now it's given me zero issues.

Like a resin kit, test fit, test fit, test fit.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Clunkmeister said:

Honestly, so far it's been an absolute pleasure to build. there are no locator pins so make sure you look ahead or have a reference available, but as of now it's given me zero issues.

Like a resin kit, test fit, test fit, test fit.

Wait until you get to placing the cockpit tub and the lower wing/resin wheel wells.

• Like 6

On 9/25/2019 at 3:52 PM, JohnB said:

Good luck with this build Ernie. At one point in my build I threw it on the floor and stomped on it (good thing it was on thick carpet!). :D

I have stomped (2) kits on my career, a 24th scale Supra car and a 1/144 Yak-40.

It was very satisfying.

• Like 4