The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

So, what's on your floor tonight?

[CAT]CplSlade

Came downstairs after everyone else had settled down for the night. I walked into my 'putzing around' room and found a recent build on the floor Unfortunately, being all caught up in my feels I didn't think to take a pic of it on the floor, but here it is sitting back on the display shelf:

feH8jWr.jpg

I had just finished it a couple of months ago for an Armorama campaign; it's the Zvezda 251/1 Ausf B Stuka Zu Fuss. Kit was a little fiddly. Thing fell 45 inches onto Berber carpet on top of a cement slab. I can't believe only one of the aiming vanes and width indicators broke off, and no other small bits were destroyed. Rear doors are fine. Machineguns and mounts fine. No suspension damage. One launcher rack is split but the rocket will hide it once repaired. So lucky. I thought I was about to have to explain to my family that our cat food supply would be extended by about 33% going forward. I have two candidates, with one in particular an obvious suspect after learning how to access the top of our mantle.

Three vehicles to the right and the little jerk would have annihilated my 251/20 Uhu with all the tiny PE and thin bits on the IR searchlight. I would have throttled and then buried, myself in the backyard.

• Like 6

Somewhere on the floor is the intake for a flame dampener for my Dornier Do 217N build.  I could have lost it weeks ago, inside or outside as the sprue has been on the verandah and at my modelling space.  Hell...  Kitty might have batted it into some dusty recess that hasn't seen daylight in months.

Damn cats!

• Like 5

The one thing I have on my floor that is causing me ongoing tooth-grinding is a tiny sliver of PE for the Brit MkII gunsight in the P-47

i was able to mostly replicate it with thin film, but it doesn’t have the fine print from the original

and...sadly there’s no furry felines I can blame - only my own momentary lapse punctuated by the “ping” of PE rapidly departing my tweezers for parts unknown... 

• Like 3

On 9/23/2019 at 3:13 AM, BlrwestSiR said:

Which means I occasionally have an actual carpet monster when I drop parts. 

True dat...

Anything that might drop onto the floor is usually assumed to be some form of toast or crumb or foodstuff of some kind to be quickly consumed by a hairy land Shark. Either that, or it becomes attracted to furry undercoat by static cling like a TV Infomercial dusting wand, and if you're lucky you end up removing it as the Nucleus of a gigantic knot during the weekly grooming process, when what you actually wish you were doing was a spot of Model building.

IMG_20190928_082139.thumb.jpg.f7beee29a471e257e58e7771a8cf39bb.jpg

It's a vicious circle. With doleful eyes.

Oy!

• Like 4

Actually, Dogs are having an afternoon nap, so getting some building done.

The part of the Dragon Sd.Kfz.10 gearbox at far right has been on the floor twice already whilst trying to get it removed and trimmed.

IMG_20190928_135524.thumb.jpg.5be32fe7b24b3cedfd43b1a39f073bb9.jpg

The worst part is, constantly having to change Glasses from 3.5 mag back to my regular script pair so that I can see 3 feet down to the floor!

Why is it, that the only thing that's 20/20 anymore is hindsight?

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Wumm said:

The worst part is, constantly having to change Glasses from 3.5 mag back to my regular script pair so that I can see 3 feet down to the floor!

Why is it, that the only thing that's 20/20 anymore is hindsight?

I bought a black BBQ apron at Bunnings.  Does a great job of catching parts when I remember to wear it. 

4e34093e-9094-4f27-9b9c-d47794675dc0.jpg

Comes with a bottle opener, too.  The best thing about it is that the straps slide free under the apron so you can lower it on your body (I'm 1.91M) so that it covers your knees.

• Like 1

The only thing I hate worse than feeding the carpet monster is on the rare occasion that I actually run the vacuum and hear that clicking sound a plastic part makes as it ascends the hose to certain doom and wonder if it was something important or just a trimmed off plastic nub.

• Like 1

Or, vacuumed before going on holiday couple of weeks ago. Got back and looked over the Tiger 1 to see where I’d got to. I’d added an AM barrel with brass muzzle brake and all. There it was gone, checked bench, checked floor, nothing. Must have vacuumed it...........bugger...........then remembered the rubbish, hadn’t been collected. So..........dived into the wheelie waste bin and emptied it.........gloves on and a very smelly after sitting there for two weeks..........and I found it in the middle of a fluff ball..................that saved me a new AM barrel.........

• Like 3