Playing in the Sandbox Group Build Sept 1, 2024 - Jn 1, 2025

Share how COVID-19 Quarantine has affected you.

1to1scale

We seem to be lucky in Australia. Many people have adhered to the Govt insructions. The federal government has taken control of child care fees. People can now have their kids in childcare free of charge. There will be incentive payments to pensioners to help keep the economy going. Of course there are people who refuse the instructions.

I try to check the news for further information. It is hard with many outlets saying the same thing over and over. Politicians of every stripe hoping to get on camera. Nothing new there. I really want to hear from the scientific community. I am spoiled having lived in hospitals and being able to hear instant and clear answers to my questions. 

I am somewhat confident our government will at least try to do the right thing. News is now coming in via Aussie news sourses about the American situation. This leaves me concerned for my many American friends. 

• Like 2

I would like the media to acknowledge New Jersey's Dr. Stephen Smith at St. Barnabas Hospital about the successful (so far) treatment of his patients with hydroxychloroquine. He claims he has not had to intubate any of them, which goes a long way to keeping you alive since you're still breathing on your own.

• Like 4

So I found this, which seems to corroborate the French findings and some efforts by the Chinese. If I get sick I am willing to try it over waiting for Big Pharma to find a timely answer. We really don't have the time to wait for all the trials to determine the safety of the treatment considering all else that is going on.

https://www.foxnews.com/media/dr-stephen-smith-on-effectiveness-of-hydroxychloroquine-with-coronavirus-symptoms-beginning-of-the-end-of-the-pandemic

Only if I am dying, of course. Not going to drink it if I'm relatively symptom free.

• Like 1

Fishing is now banned here. These restrictions on our movements are now getting ridiculous. I can go for a walk down to the local river, but if I stand there by myself with my rod, I could get a $1600 fine. How am I going to catch anything by just doing that? I really feel that the government are going to get a backlash from people soon.

• Like 3

• Administrators

I’ve been watching those developments with interest and I like what I see. Many States are now trying it experimentally, with NY leading the way. But others got all political and banned it completely because our Pres touted it.

Good Lord, politics need to be put away and we need to save our Nation and all our friends around the World. France found this because the’re not afraid to think out of the box. It would have been months here before some Docs figured it out and a drug company wanted to reengineer it to get a new patent on an old drug. 

Gotta be careful or Ill need to moderate myself, but I’m so bleedin’ sick of political crap these days. We ALL need to work together.

France, Britain, Aus/NZ, Canada, All of Europe, Russia, Brazil, Mexico, Argentina, anyone with a developed health system because we sure can’t believe what comes out of China these days. 

Lives depend on this. If Russia finds the cure, let’s all celebrate it as much as if France or New Zealand does. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Administrators
2 minutes ago, BradG said:

Fishing is now banned here. These restrictions on our movements are now getting ridiculous. I can go for a walk down to the local river, but if I stand there by myself with my rod, I could get a $1600 fine. How am I going to catch anything by just doing that? I really feel that the government are going to get a backlash from people soon.

Brad, there’s a lot of misinformation going on here as well.  Some clown circulated that the entire Nation will be quarantined for 30 days with the threat of arrest if you leave your home. That stuff here isn’t helpful.

Can you go camping for a month? :)

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Clunkmeister said:

Lives depend on this. If Russia finds the cure, let’s all celebrate it as much as if France or New Zealand does. 

https://www.aa.com.tr/en/latest-on-coronavirus-outbreak/russia-claims-it-produces-drug-to-treat-covid-19-/1783292

They make it in their bot factories, so you know, can't do that..

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Clunkmeister said:

Brad, there’s a lot of misinformation going on here as well.  Some clown circulated that the entire Nation will be quarantined for 30 days with the threat of arrest if you leave your home. That stuff here isn’t helpful.

Boating and hunting banned too, there was just a new break that announced it from the government minister, so I'd say camping is soon to follow. Hell we already have the police out there stopping random people to ask why they are out and about. Several people have been fined for sitting on park benches by themselves. I really don't like this police state nonsense.

• Like 2

• Administrators
1 hour ago, BradG said:

Boating and hunting banned too, there was just a new break that announced it from the government minister, so I'd say camping is soon to follow. Hell we already have the police out there stopping random people to ask why they are out and about. Several people have been fined for sitting on park benches by themselves. I really don't like this police state nonsense.

I had to do something I never thought I’d do in this Country, and that’s issue Travel Papers to my employees.  No joke. It floored me.  If some local cop gets hung ho and decides to pull over my absolutely essential guys who I see as family, they had better be able to show they need to be out. They’re all Hispanic, ad in Mexican and Guatemalan, so they are targets for local yokels. The good news is that I’m brushing up on my Spanish, as we basically sit around and talk all day long.  I absolutely refuse to lay off my men. They have families that need them, and as soon as we can get away with it, we’ll rotate them staying home with family. We’re considered an essential business, so we need to keep our doors open.

They can’t stop us from getting out in the country, as long as it’s private land. That’s a good thing here. 

• Like 2

Private gatherings are banned in Australia, you could be fined 10 grand or be put in jail. This might be a big controversial, but I'm starting to think that the cure might be worse than the disease now. Our economy is collapsing, Australia will be in 1 trillion dollars of debt with millions unemployed, there have already been many suicides of shop and business owners that the media is not reporting. My friend who works in the industry tells me the suicide hot line is ringing off the hook. 

This is a disaster.

• Like 2

Yep, politicizing this is a problem. I don't trust politicians at all. Most of the worst of human history were politicians. 

There is only one political party that gets my vote, the Australian Sex party! :D

I haven't been able to learn the extent of the disease in third world countries as yet. Mainly because I am more focused on modelling. There's not much I can do. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Clunkmeister said:

Not in Queensland. Campgrounds and National Parks are closed, you can only be in a Caravan Park or similar if it's your principal place of residence.

They don't want people travelling out into the regional areas, as there's comparitively little Hospital facilities out there. My hometown Rockhampton is roughly 80,000 people, and services a regional population of nearly double that. The Base Hospital there has only 300 beds, an outbreak in one of the Mining towns would see them swamped, let alone adding Backpackers and vacationing Retirees into the mix.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, [CAT]CplSlade said:

So I found this, which seems to corroborate the French findings and some efforts by the Chinese. If I get sick I am willing to try it over waiting for Big Pharma to find a timely answer. We really don't have the time to wait for all the trials to determine the safety of the treatment considering all else that is going on.

https://www.foxnews.com/media/dr-stephen-smith-on-effectiveness-of-hydroxychloroquine-with-coronavirus-symptoms-beginning-of-the-end-of-the-pandemic

Only if I am dying, of course. Not going to drink it if I'm relatively symptom free.

Just remember that in France this week, three people ( and there may be more) died because of self-medication of hydrxychloroquine. Other known side-effects are cecity. 

Which brings some comments : 1) it’s plain stupidness to die because you are afraid a catching a disease which may prove begnin if you catch it, and 2) the last thing overburdened ICUs need is to get people entering and occupying badly-needed beds because they were stupid enough to self-medicate with a drug that needs more objective scientific validation.

We have all seen too many Hollywood movies where a lone-man-against-the-rest-of-the-world-finds-in-a-fortnight-a-miracle-cure-with-absolutely-no-side-effects ...

Let’s let the science people do their jobs as quickly as possible, so that they can give the politicians the right information to do the really strategic decisions. It seems so simple that one wonders why we do not see this in each and every country, instead of some self-promoting shows ...

As for economic consequences, they are really really bad ( and I talk from personal experience). But the disruption of millions of deaths could be just as damaging. And if you want to have an objective look at history, all the major plagues of the past were driven by greed ... For instance the black-pest plague was triggered by Genoan merchants who did not want to loose the profit of selling silk-clothes arriving on a ship from the Middle-East, where the crew were dying of black-pest. Does it ring a bell with modern analogies ?

Hubert

• Like 5

4 hours ago, Sir Desmond Glazebrook said:

I haven't been able to learn the extent of the disease in third world countries as yet. Mainly because I am more focused on modelling. There's not much I can do. 

I use this site to keep updated Dale...

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

The data for the Third World Countries sometimes doesn't update daily, this is probably due to the problems of accessing accurate real-time information from some areas.

I realise that the Prime Minister probably isn't your favourite Human Being at the moment, but at least the Government seems to be on the right path for the time being. We are one of the only Countries that are on the downward side of the peak of cases. A week ago, Brasil was 150 behind us on the number of cases...

IMG_20200403_182341.thumb.jpg.50af026d0527ba438a078afdba0f15f3.jpg

After a just a week they've jumped ahead by 2,500.

IMG_20200403_182821.thumb.jpg.d63667408dff8e1452dc5f4c462196a7.jpg

Note the difference in the curves. As I said, for the time being...

S

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, HubertB said:

Let’s let the science people do their jobs as quickly as possible, so that they can give the politicians the right information to do the really strategic decisions. It seems so simple that one wonders why we do not see this in each and every country, instead of some self-promoting shows ...

So true, I'm completely fed up with the lots of conspiracy theorists, faux scientists and other charlatans which would have been tarred and feathered a century ago. Let's step back a little, let common sense rule and let the scientists do their job and not to forget, everybody can do his little part to help fighting that pandemia.

Cheers Rob 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

We cant buy cigarettes or alcohol, neither routers, printers, printer paper or ink. Oh, and the banks have shut down any payments to foreign countries using debit/credit cards or Paypal. 

We also cant buy candles or adult nappies for elderly that suffer with  incontinence

• Like 2

Hi wumm. Actually I don't give the PM much thought. I do not even know who the opposition leader is. I am a musician in a country where musicians are treated with contempt from ALL Australian governments. Most of the population. Australia is a country of sports, not the arts.

Thanks for the link. :thumbsup2:

I am treating this time as a chance to kick back and build models. If I am out on the street in six months.... I will deal with whatever reality as best I can. :thumbsup2:

• Like 1

So I was thinking about this zoom platform (I am sure there are others) where folks are having business meetings, virtual happy hours, school activities and the like.  Could we do something like a virtual bench time chat room meeting thingy? The first virtual group build?? I know little about computer crap, but it seems to me we could use one of these platforms to our advantage. Thoughts?

• Like 4

• Administrators
25 minutes ago, smitty44 said:

So I was thinking about this zoom platform (I am sure there are others) where folks are having business meetings, virtual happy hours, school activities and the like.  Could we do something like a virtual bench time chat room meeting thingy? The first virtual group build?? I know little about computer crap, but it seems to me we could use one of these platforms to our advantage. Thoughts?

Smitty, that sounds like an awesome idea. If others are onboard, I'd be right there.  Hubert could then give us some live views of the waterfront.

And the rest of us could do virtual tours of our benches.

I think language wouldn't be an issue. Call me crass, but I think everyone here speaks English at least a bit?  Except Australians. Whatever that is they mutter there isn't any form of Engrish I've ever heard.  :)

• Like 3

• Administrators
4 hours ago, DocRob said:

So true, I'm completely fed up with the lots of conspiracy theorists, faux scientists and other charlatans which would have been tarred and feathered a century ago. Let's step back a little, let common sense rule and let the scientists do their job and not to forget, everybody can do his little part to help fighting that pandemia.

Cheers Rob 

Rob, you're quite knowlegeable in these things, so I'll ask you.  Does the spike in infections simply correlate to the availability of testing, or is it an actual spike due to spread?

Here in the United States, once testing became widespread, the number of cases spiked.  So I feel we can safely assume there are many millions of people walking around as carriers, but are non symptomatic..

• Like 3