The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

New Tamiya F-4B in 1/48

BlrwestSiR

ZM has released the C, D, J and S short nosed Phantoms so far. The B that Tamiya is coming out with has a thinner wing without the bugles over the gear bays. The MLG tires are narrower as well. 

I see it as a complement to the ZM kits rather than direct competition. 

Academy do a 1/48 B and Hasegawa has their old B show up in their catalogue from time to time. 

Carl

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• Administrators

I miss this post nad share the same news on other post.

Anyway, I´m not very excited with F4-b... I would prefer a... 109!?? Kidding!!! :D

The B is already made by Academy... This Tamiya f-4 will hit 70 to 100 € price tag and probably ZM woudl have plan to launch a B soon... 

I would prefer to see Tamiya making their magic in other thing... for instance F-15...A-10...

Fran

• Like 4

• 2 months later...

I love Phantoms and number one is the F-4B. Tamiya's is going to be a gem for sure and I'm willing to bet there won't be any fit issues as well.

Just amazes me that with all the research and new kits Tamiya has brought out, none have been released in 32nd scale

Peter

• Like 3

FYI, I was able to get an allocation of 21 models on this kit, in the last 4 days I have sold 18 of them. If anyone wants one from the first June shipment, I have three left. I am taking $25 deposits for pre-orders, the balance and shipping payable when they arrive. 

https://www.hobbynutmodels.com/collections/aircraft/products/copy-of-1-48-tamiya-grumman-f-14d-tomcat?variant=39389306257601

• Like 3

My favourite of these releases is the Koala Racer...

Hot-shot on the Racing circuit by day, catching Chlamydia by night.

95621-3.jpg.911a5730d61aad5fb1c9bc0bc7002a38.jpg

This excites me more than yet another Phantom model in 1/48th scale.

S

• Haha 2

I wonder why they aren't announcing any 1/32 WW II a/c. In my very humble opinion they are missing the boat for a couple of Hellcats (-3 & -5) and a better P-51B/C to name a few. I've been doing my bit on their 1/32 kits so now it's time for them to step up. :)

• Like 3

Hi John

I use to wonder the same for the passed few years but deep down I'm feeling Tamiya has pretty much written off 32nd scale and is going to be concentrating on 48th and 72 scale scale aircraft kit for the future. 

Looking at the cost these days for bringing a Tamiya quality 32nd scale kit to the market, the time and cost has just sky rocketed and the sales just aren't there any more. I fell in love with their Mossie kit, as it easily is the best injected molded kit I've ever built and there were plans for an additional version - never released. Sales vs costs had to be the killer.

Vyjfrf.jpg

As bad as I feel about the situation, it seems Tamiya has closed the hanger doors on 32nd scale and gone with the flow of who is buying kits, subject and scale. Last I looked, the Mossie is going for $225 at SB and I guess the market has said it's just too much.

Yes, I would love a Tamiya Hellcat, Jug, Lightning and a P-51B but I just feel, they are just not going to happen any more.

Peter

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Peterpools said:

Hi John

I use to wonder the same for the passed few years but deep down I'm feeling Tamiya has pretty much written off 32nd scale and is going to be concentrating on 48th and 72 scale scale aircraft kit for the future. 

Looking at the cost these days for bringing a Tamiya quality 32nd scale kit to the market, the time and cost has just sky rocketed and the sales just aren't there any more. I fell in love with their Mossie kit, as it easily is the best injected molded kit I've ever built and there were plans for an additional version - never released. Sales vs costs had to be the killer.

Vyjfrf.jpg

As bad as I feel about the situation, it seems Tamiya has closed the hanger doors on 32nd scale and gone with the flow of who is buying kits, subject and scale. Last I looked, the Mossie is going for $225 at SB and I guess the market has said it's just too much.

Yes, I would love a Tamiya Hellcat, Jug, Lightning and a P-51B but I just feel, they are just not going to happen any more.

Peter

Sad but likely true Peter. :(

12-11-20 2 005.jpg

12-11-20 008.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

John, Peter, nice Mossies there from both of you. I did my bit too to support them. :D

IMG_20161014_222726-600x450.jpg

One thing is they can be real mojo killers. There's so much to do on them, even if you skip over the internal details and just do what can be seen externally. I had a one year break  in my build. 

3 hours ago, Peterpools said:

Last I looked, the Mossie is going for $225 at SB and I guess the market has said it's just too much.

Oddly enough, that's what it sells for in Canada but in Loonies so it's about 30% less than SB. Most of the ZM kits in Canada are in that price range and seem to doing okay here. The Do335 is over $300 CAD. 

I suspect (hope actually) that we're in the low output part of Tamiya's 1/32 product cycle. They went quite a while between the F-16 and the Spitfire so maybe that's where we are now. 

Thankfully other manufacturers have taken an interest in 1/32 so at least we're not going begging. Have you seen the pics of the new GWH P-40B that's coming?

Carl

• Like 5

Carl

One good looking Mossie.

I hope I’m wrong and Tamiya hasn’t abandoned 32nd scale but there just isn’t any evidence to suggest they are still in the game. Their 48th and 72nd scale kits are the class of the field, have to cost less to produce and the market for those scales is much greater. 
I had no idea GWH was doing a P-40 and that’s great news. Maybe it’s time for new blood in 32nd scale and stop waiting for Tamiya to produce and truly new kit. Years ago Tamiya owned 1/12 scale Formula One and for numerous reasons they walked away and no longer produce those kits regardless of the reasons.
I remember way back when Tamiya wasn’t even in 32nd scale and Hasegawa was king of the hill.

Maybe it’s our fault as modelers always demanding perfection that pushes up the kit costs to a level that makes the investment to high and risky. Who knows but I just feel it in my bones, Tamiya is no longer interested in 32nd scale.

Hope I’m a 100% wrong 

Keep ‘em comin

Peter

• Like 4

I think all the observations are pertinent but I still think it comes down to the RRP at the end of the day. I bought my Mosquito for just over £150 it’s now retailing for close on £200 here. So now what with everything going on , it would be a none starter. I guess this also maybe in their mind but IMHO their new F4 is again expensive.......just my :2c:

But we love them, so thank you Tamiya for some gorgeous kits........

• Like 3

Phil

My money is on Tamiya's F4 coming in a bit more then ZM's but as always, worth every penny.  No question in my mind, the AM and decal guys are working at full speed.

I'm still mentally comparing My ZM F-4J and after watching the few build videos on Tamiya's kit and inhaling just sprue shots, lots of the fit issues I've had to over come Papa Tamiya has already taken care of.

Guess I'm just an old Tamiya Fan that doesn't stray far from the crowd.

Keep 'em comin

Peter

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Peterpools said:

Phil

My money is on Tamiya's F4 coming in a bit more then ZM's but as always, worth every penny.  No question in my mind, the AM and decal guys are working at full speed.

I'm still mentally comparing My ZM F-4J and after watching the few build videos on Tamiya's kit and inhaling just sprue shots, lots of the fit issues I've had to over come Papa Tamiya has already taken care of.

Guess I'm just an old Tamiya Fan that doesn't stray far from the crowd.

Keep 'em comin

Peter

LOL Me too Peter!!!:D

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

12 hours ago, Peterpools said:

Carl

One good looking Mossie.

I hope I’m wrong and Tamiya hasn’t abandoned 32nd scale but there just isn’t any evidence to suggest they are still in the game. Their 48th and 72nd scale kits are the class of the field, have to cost less to produce and the market for those scales is much greater. 
I had no idea GWH was doing a P-40 and that’s great news. Maybe it’s time for new blood in 32nd scale and stop waiting for Tamiya to produce and truly new kit. Years ago Tamiya owned 1/12 scale Formula One and for numerous reasons they walked away and no longer produce those kits regardless of the reasons.
I remember way back when Tamiya wasn’t even in 32nd scale and Hasegawa was king of the hill.

Maybe it’s our fault as modelers always demanding perfection that pushes up the kit costs to a level that makes the investment to high and risky. Who knows but I just feel it in my bones, Tamiya is no longer interested in 32nd scale.

Hope I’m a 100% wrong 

Keep ‘em comin

Peter

Now, Tamiya....  do me a favor and pop out some 100-series fighters.  Color me strange...  but I prefer my jets in foil with less of that messy painting to worry about.  I've got their MiG 15 Bis in the stash waiting for my next foiling urge.

• Like 3