Playing in the Sandbox Group Build Sept 1, 2024 - Jn 1, 2025

Last Man Standing, bruised Ammoknight patched up, 1/20

13 hours ago, harv said:

Love the worn look on the smaller pieces ! Man, your work here is amazing.....harv:popcorn:

12 hours ago, Kaireckstadt said:

Good decision to keep decaling to a minimum! Looks so nice as it is! 
Also beautiful work on the accessories! 
Love the gas-bottles. Interesting technique how to apply the tonal variations of the base color! 

Thank you Kai and Harv, more decaling would have been interesting to look on more closely, when finished, but this build is about general appearance. The colour, with it's layering gives the model so much depth and this won about the close range eye catching stenciling. I will cautiously add some grime and maybe some dots of metal shining through, but I don't want to loose the main focus on the surface of the suit zooming in to the heart shaped patch.

Cheers Rob

• Like 5

11 hours ago, Peterpools said:

Brilliant work - your weathering and results are a tutorial in itself.

Thanks Peter, in a way it's a tutorial for myself, from the first picture in my head to the step by step planned realization of the paintjob.

Cheers Rob

• Like 4

After some frustrations connected to - guess what - decals, I made some progress. The decals where stiff as a board and tend to break easy. It took several coats of different solutions to get them onto slightly curved objects. I skipped the plan to add stencils, even these for the fog dispensers and considered illegible handlettering, instead, but nixed that too.
After I took out a new kit from the stash, I finally found some motivation, to work on the Ammoknight again. The hands were treated with steel pigments and oil fluid, the tank was painted and received steel and rust pigment dotted on. I added some exhaust stains, a few oil drops here and there and some dots of rust. 
I added the loosened fog pots to the cables and detail painted the cables here. 
As a last step, I put some iron pigments on my finger and rubbed it cautiously over the power suit, emphasizing some metal surfacing through abrasion. The suit should be more or less ready now.

Cheers Rob

IMG_8640.thumb.JPG.775535d2480ccec44ea993c0236099ce.JPG

IMG_8641.thumb.JPG.4b560105bb170dea35dd8bbc366c6192.JPG

IMG_8635.thumb.JPG.9ebbceff5ea200f62b5bf9952266071d.JPG

IMG_8636.thumb.JPG.e76e3cea7d63f42299a1209012432d48.JPG

IMG_8637.thumb.JPG.18d3fa3cdf0e1c644dab6d31bb72898b.JPG

IMG_8638.thumb.JPG.eb49275c7d524f0d328b735e63e57391.JPG

IMG_8639.thumb.JPG.61af049bd24e6b7af39cba4e70d948ae.JPG

• Like 7

3 hours ago, DocRob said:

After some frustrations connected to - guess what - decals, I made some progress. The decals where stiff as a board and tend to break easy. It took several coats of different solutions to get them onto slightly curved objects. I skipped the plan to add stencils, even these for the fog dispensers and considered illegible handlettering, instead, but nixed that too.
After I took out a new kit from the stash, I finally found some motivation, to work on the Ammoknight again. The hands were treated with steel pigments and oil fluid, the tank was painted and received steel and rust pigment dotted on. I added some exhaust stains, a few oil drops here and there and some dots of rust. 
I added the loosened fog pots to the cables and detail painted the cables here. 
As a last step, I put some iron pigments on my finger and rubbed it cautiously over the power suit, emphasizing some metal surfacing through abrasion. The suit should be more or less ready now.

Cheers Rob

IMG_8640.thumb.JPG.775535d2480ccec44ea993c0236099ce.JPG

IMG_8641.thumb.JPG.4b560105bb170dea35dd8bbc366c6192.JPG

IMG_8635.thumb.JPG.9ebbceff5ea200f62b5bf9952266071d.JPG

IMG_8636.thumb.JPG.e76e3cea7d63f42299a1209012432d48.JPG

IMG_8637.thumb.JPG.18d3fa3cdf0e1c644dab6d31bb72898b.JPG

IMG_8638.thumb.JPG.eb49275c7d524f0d328b735e63e57391.JPG

IMG_8639.thumb.JPG.61af049bd24e6b7af39cba4e70d948ae.JPG

This is not a model Rob it’s a piece of art! 
This looks more than stunning. Looks as if it starts walking when you press the button!

Great work Rob! I love it! 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Kaireckstadt said:

This is not a model Rob it’s a piece of art! 
This looks more than stunning. Looks as if it starts walking when you press the button!

Great work Rob! I love it! 

Thanks Kai, I'm blushing :wub:. It's relatively easy to score beside the trotten pathes, where nobody can argue about your shade of RLM66. One of my motors in modelling is replicate what I imagine and with these type of kits, I can develop my own techniques for achieving that. Trying to give different materials their correct appearance is tempting me a lot, also how surrounding effects have their impact on the materials. It's like painting a picture in my head and then, trying to put it in reality, at least in scale. 

BTW: The bastard stole my beer :D.

Cheers Rob

• Like 6

13 hours ago, Peterpools said:

Right with Kai - spectacular work

12 hours ago, harv said:

Agreed !!.......harv:popcorn:

Thank you Amigos, this experiment, will lead to others, as everything works to plan, but now, I can avoid figure painting anymore and that's another beast.

Cheers Rob

• Like 5

11 hours ago, Kpnuts said:

Great weathering effects, sorry but what is this, is it a robot or some sort of armoured soldier. Regardless I love the weathering you have obviously mastered weathering

Thanks Kpnuts, I appended the intro of the building thread again as an explanation.

Cheers Rob

Copy of intro:

Welcome to the future, a knight, maybe it's history, noooo, its sci-fi.

These Ammoknights are a sidekick to the Maschinenkrieger or Ma.K or ZbV 3000 universe and I spare you the banal story behind, because it's irrelevant for the project
I have no idea, if there is any interest in a WIP of that kind.
First of all it's not about building, because all building was done in a day and was a very simple affair. The fit of the kit parts is very good and to make painting and weathering easier, all subassemblies can be snapped together without gluing, quite comfortable.
The only extra work went into the seamlines of the arms and legs, where I used Tamiya extra thin glue in a left tiny gap, between the halves, then being pushed together with some force, so that some glue dries on the surface and can later be sanded away, result, no gaps at all.

What this WIP will be about is painting and weathering, where I will incorporate some new adventures. My plan is to brush paint the Ammoknight with a layering technique of different type of colours, let's see, how this works out.

The little scene will include the opened Ammoknight powersuit and Sasha the welding girl, patching the worn and beaten knight up after battle. If you have guessed, that this will involve metal, rust, grime, flaked paint and some sex appeal, you're right.
Like on most of my builds, I have a very detailed picture in my head, showing the finalized project and like always, I'm curious about, if I'm able to deliver.

IMG_8492.thumb.JPG.ff2fcca32f5df4eca93da349aa3e5555.JPG

The scene will look like this

IMG_8254.thumb.JPG.729997683dcf2e2caee4d2ed4c75159e.JPG

• Like 5

8 hours ago, GazzaS said:

Wow!  Great job, Rob!  it is quite an impressive show of your modelling skills.  It actually looks quite heavy and made of steel.

Thanks Gaz, but building was a breeze here, it's all about painting and weathering at the same time ;). If I can create the illusion of metallic heaviness for you, it makes me quite happy, mission accomplished :D.

CheersRob

• Like 6

Thanks Peter, this type of weathering can't be adopted to every object in any given scale, I fear, unless you will build a scrapyard dio, or something similar. It fits for the 1/20 scale and for the organic formed Ammoknight.

Cheers Rob

• Like 6

6 hours ago, Bomber_County said:

Rob, hells teeth man, this is absolutely bleeding stunning..........words cannot sufficiently describe how good this is.......congrats.......

Thanks Phil, I'm happy that you like the power suit thing. I'm thinking about, what to do with the second one. Maybe sunken in a lake, let's see.

Cheers Rob

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Kaireckstadt said:

And now next step: we want to see Sasha, the welding girl!!

1 hour ago, harv said:

Yes indeed !....harv

I knew, I could keep your attention only thus far with the power suit, Gentlemen, it's all about Sashsa and that's exactly, why I paint her last. Got you :D.

Cheers Rob

• Like 5
  • Haha 4

22 hours ago, Jackster said:

Brilliant work Rob, very inspiring, love your ethos too!

Thank you Kev, I'm very pleased you like the build. I always enjoy and fear the realization of ideas, I preformed in my head for a project, involving lots of new techniques. The essence of this friction mostly results in lots of fun, when the fear part reduces, while step by step, the concept grows to reality.

Cheers Rob

• Like 5