The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

Meng Char 2c

I've been working on Meng's big French Char 2 c. I had some trouble with the photo etch

grills on the side of tank. Glued one to my thumb, but I managed to get them on the tank

eventually. I think I'll use a different glue when I do the other side. Otherwise, things are going

well so far. The road wheels took a long to assemble--- very tedious. One things sure, this is going to be a big model!

IMG_20210321_1814096_rewind.jpg

• Like 7

Not much more here, some progress. I've got the hull closed up and I'll be going

for the turrets and the superstructure soon. A word or two about those screens on each

side, definitely, if you make this kit leave these off until just before you paint! While handling the kit, these kept getting damaged And I had to fix them many times. Now they

are on ,but they have a "battle damaged" look to them.

IMG_20210323_1211575_rewind_kindlephoto-39092889.jpg

IMG_20210323_1212185_rewind.jpg

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
6 hours ago, Bomber_County said:

Very tidy build, looking forward to the camo........the French didn’t know how to make tanks ............

Thanks. No camo, just a kind of overall olive drabish color. This is a big model. My pics

just don't provide a sense of scale. The French, well what can I say. They only made

Ten of these huge tanks. They blew up nine of them themselves and the Germans captured one. Not much of a service history. There are videos on YouTube of these

tanks knocking down walls, toppling trees, and the like. Very interesting.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, belugawhaleman said:

I made little more progress on this beast. I basically finished construction and will soon be ready for paint.

IMG_20210414_123940.jpg

IMG_20210414_123920.jpg

IMG_20210414_123929.jpg

That’s really an ugly tank but the build is beautiful so far!

I’m.curious how it will look like with paint on it! 

• Like 3

16 hours ago, Bomber_County said:

Very tidy build, looking forward to the camo........the French didn’t know how to make tanks ............

The French in the 30s still had a view derived from the 1918 victory, i.e. that infantry won wars, and tanks were there to support infantry, just like most aircrafts, apart from those aimed at chasing the enemy's observation planes from the sky, or protecting their own support aircrafts from the enemy's fighters.

The most influential military guys of the era were Petain - the "victor of Verdun" - and Gamelin, both infantry generals. The C2 reflects this retrograde - viewed from today's hindsight - thinking, including being long enough to cross trenches, and a rear-firing turret to kill the enemies ambushed in the trenches it just crossed.

A French colonel of the late 30s had a different idea of how to use tanks in the forthcoming battlefields, along the same lines as e ceratain Guderian. His name was Charles de Gaulle...

End of the broadcast of History Chanel :) . Very neat build of an interesting and certainly unique subject.

Hubert

• Like 5

9 hours ago, HubertB said:

The French in the 30s still had a view derived from the 1918 victory, i.e. that infantry won wars, and tanks were there to support infantry, just like most aircrafts, apart from those aimed at chasing the enemy's observation planes from the sky, or protecting their own support aircrafts from the enemy's fighters.

The most influential military guys of the era were Petain - the "victor of Verdun" - and Gamelin, both infantry generals. The C2 reflects this retrograde - viewed from today's hindsight - thinking, including being long enough to cross trenches, and a rear-firing turret to kill the enemies ambushed in the trenches it just crossed.

A French colonel of the late 30s had a different idea of how to use tanks in the forthcoming battlefields, along the same lines as e ceratain Guderian. His name was Charles de Gaulle...

End of the broadcast of History Chanel :) . Very neat build of an interesting and certainly unique subject.

Hubert

Not sure we Brits are on the strongest ground slagging anyone else off for our WWII tank designs. :lol:  We came up with a few clunkers of our own and were a bit bailed out by the M4, although we did have the sense to put a decent gun in it!

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
52 minutes ago, belugawhaleman said:

Some more progress.  Paint and decals. Ready for the flat top coat and final

assembly.

IMG_20210427_111633.jpg

IMG_20210427_111640.jpg

IMG_20210427_111714.jpg

Looking much better with paint !

The double-lion decals on the turret are really nice!!

Curious how it will look like after complete assembly! 

• Like 3