The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

Packing up for the move!

ScottsGT

Well we close on our new lake home this coming Friday.  Up until today I have spent every waking hour doing all the minor repairs we’ve been putting off.  Ever count how many cans of latex paint you have laying around from all the times walls have been painted?  After 25 years, I think I counted about 30.  Thankfully half were so old and lids rusted through so the paint has been long dried up.  Simple enough to toss out.  The others?  Mixing with kitty litter then tossing.

But back to the packing up....I managed to score about 20+ large and heavy duty boxes from video projectors at work.  And so far about 13 bags of packing peanuts from U-Haul, I have managed to empty out my entire display case.  A box will hold one built 1/32 Phantom with ease.  Some boxes have three smaller planes in them.  Now I’m trying to figure out how I can safely transport the oversized sliding glass doors on the case.   Might even call the glass company I bought them from and see what they would charge to transport them 50 miles on their glass truck. 
Tomorrow I have to pack up the shelf of doom!  And sadly I have decided to toss out a few I built when I got back into building models.  Some were done very badly, others have fallen from the ceiling and lost a few parts.  I know damned good and well if I take the time to pack them, they will be the last opened probably 5 years from now.  

• Like 5

Good luck with the move. Over the last weeks, I almost didn't have time for modelling, because, I cleaned up two sheds on our property, which were completely filled with stuff, we mainly brought to our tiny island, when we arrived here, six years ago. Now, only half of one shed is filled and organized, the other is completely empty and will be converted into a multi purpose room with a sea view, which includes to transform the place in front of the shed into a se view terrace, maybe with a yacuzzi included.

What I want to stress with this lengthy description is, when you haven't touched an object for years, there is only a slight opportunity, that you will do so after the move. We were hindering ourselves to improve our living space, by clawing to unused clutter, lessons learned hopefully for me ;).

Enjoy the move

Cheers Rob

• Like 4

I help out a real estate company with staging homes for sale. There was one home where we took over 100 of those paint cans out of it. We had to take them to one of the city's dumps where they'd dispose of them accordingly.

The home owner made picture frames as a hobby. Along with the paint cans, there was over 1,300kg (2,800 lbs or so) of glass, frames and other stuff in their basement. The agent couldn't believe it.

Good luck with the move Scott, hope everything arrives safely. Don't let the wife bully you into decluttering just your stuff.

Edited by BlrwestSiR
Typo
  • Like 1

Scott, I feel your pain, Cathy and I are in the exact same boat................ she has been good about down sizing, said it had to be done ( as we are moving into a smaller place) and that I would have to be arbitrary about it as well........  I have reduced my stash quite significantly ( in my mind ) probably by a couple hundred over all.... one I would not build, as I don't have as many days ahead of me as I do behind me now, BUT I am getting a new bench area, which I am looking forward to setting up............. i the mean time I HATE packing and moving boxes..... I am absolutely knackered at the end of the day, and we have a long way to go still.......  good luck with your move, and just know you have a kindred spirit in that operation....

• Like 1

Just spent the past few hours boxing up kits and building tools.  In one box alone I have two 1/32 B-17’s and a Lancaster. Do the money math on that one box. :icon_eek:

As I’m going through the stash and putting my hands on kits I have decided one of my retirement projects is to sell off about 50% of the kits.  There is no way I’ll ever get to all these or have the room for them all.  Ex: 3 - 1/48 C130 kits. Ok, where the hell will those go built?  Or for that matter, that $1000 box mentioned above.  

Seems my hobby is turning into a burden if I’m not careful.  Probably going to start donating some of these things...the built ones that is.   My Thunderbirds bomb burst display really takes up real estate. Might stop in the local ROTC class and see if they want them. 

We have decided to rent a 12X16 storage locker, but I was just discussing with the wife, what do I put in there?  Don’t want model kits left in a non-climatized area, all my wood working tools will probably be needed as soon as we get in and start projects.   Can’t put ammo or reloading supplies in storage, Guns sure as hell aren’t going.  And I sure don’t want the new place to look like a storage facility too.   

Once we’re in we plan on getting a 12 X 16 “barn” with a lean to for lawn tractor, yard tools and general storage.  I need to take a class on becoming a minimalist.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

So overwhelmed with everything that I just logged into my Hannants account and cancelled my Helldiver order.....

Maybe later I’ll revisit after the dust settles and possibly if I sell off a few dozen kits.

• Sad 1

Scott, I have been there. We moved from Dallas to Nashville a few years ago. I have many LARGE boxes for my stash, lucking the unbuilt ones were easy to transport. It was the built kits that proved difficult, I ended up using plastic totes from Home Depot and lots of foam to pack things, most made it fine only losing a few minor things like ailerons, flaps, and one landing gear, all have been repaired. I truly do understand every thought you are having.

• Like 2

The next MILLION dollar question is.....................  instead of asking model companies to make new kits of this or that, MAYBE we should ask them to make model boxes  somewhat the SAME, so some of us can pack them in boxes for said move AND stack them NEATLY on the stash shelf !  I have whittled my stash down to a manageable amount ( not really ) and am in the midst of a move as well, Scott, and I am having a Hell of a time re-stacking the kits in some sort of order on a huge shelving unit, and there is ALWAYS a few that just quite don't fit into a good space..............................:( if the box was a 1/2 inch smaller or a slightly different depth, life would be good.... but not so..... life's little frustrations eh?:rolleyes:

• Like 1

Extremely frustrating!!!  I just trashed 2 built models that fell from the boys ceiling 15 years ago and I never got around to repairing, tossed out the early Revell Phantom I built when I got back into modeling. God, it was butt ass ugly.  Started building it with SEA camo (yea, on a Navy jet.  Like I said, I had no idea what I was doing when I got back building as a big boy) and I painted the interior green like it was a WWII aircraft. :rofl:

Also tossed a half built phantom Mustang I gave up on 12 years ago, or when ever it was Revell came back out with the kit.  

just so no one thinks I have totally lost it, I did carefully pack up some off the shelf of doom.  C-17, C-124, Revell P-51D and a few more I have to bring boxes home tomorrow I have at work.

My biggest task yet was accomplished today.  Years ago I built a huge display case. Almost 8’ wide, 2’ deep and 6’7” tall. I got it all broken down, sliding glass doors removed and packed up sideway sitting on foam everywhere for the 45 mile journey in the back of a U Haul truck. 

No way I could have made this move and keep everything if it was a long distance move.  

• Like 4

Just an update.....

Things are going pretty smooth, other than I realize I have too much. Yes, just too much. Too many tools, too many models, hell, even too much car cleaning stuff. Who else has a huge Rubbermaid cart just to keep car cleaning supplies on? 
Today I was boxing up the models for storage and I had enough.  I marked a box “kits to sell”.  Once I’m settled in, going to start looking for shipping boxes and post them up for sale.  I’ve got a gut feeling I’ll have a lot more before the sun sets tomorrow.  

I am happy to report that my display case made it here ok too.  I had 4 strong 25 yo men doing it all for me.  Funny thing is, they started rolling it around the house and all of a sudden they were like, “Uuhh, it ain’t going through that door.”  looking at the basement level sliding glass door.   Thankfully, it made it through the door from the garage with maybe enough room for a hair to fit in between.  I had to pull off part of the door threshold and once we were in, there’s a support pole that I had to remove the decorative trim off the base to get through.  

Wife again was telling me, see, you built it too damned big!  But it’s in, we got the glass door here and installed safely and now I just need to get the shelves over laid out flat in the back of the wife’s Honda Pilot. 
Now just curious to see how the models have done on the trip.  Still have a lot at the old house though. 

The guys man handled the gun safe like it had PlaySchool written on the side of it. Of course all the firearms were piled deep in the trunk of my Mustang.  Pretty funny thinking back that I had more $$ in the guns stacked in the trunk than the car is worth. Oh, and ammo.  Yea, got enough of that too.  Everyone always says you can’t have enough ammo.  I guess they never have moved. 

once I get settled in, I’ll post up some pics. 

• Like 5

Moving time depends on buying and sales/closing dates.  We still own our old home, but it is on the market. We priced it high hoping to take advantage of the crazy real estate market.   After we get it cleared out we’re dropping the price to move it.  

Any decorating need to be done?  LOL!  Of course. What woman would move into someone else’s home and not make it hers?   But we are going slow with changes to make sure we do the right thing.   New home came fully furnished and we are also selling off things too. At both locations.  

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

Ah.............. car cleaning supplies........................... ah, yeah. I have a 4 shelf unit FULL of car detailing supplies.... probably have more product than the local NAPA store... I like to keep 'stocked' :rolleyes: I have got most of my kits and built ones moved as well, and so far only one casualty my 1/32 Piper Super Cub, but it is easily repairable..... and yes, I also have WAY too much, BUT am still considering a few more items... I did, however try to pare down my stash a little before the move.... NOW to try and find everything that is packed in the boxes to set up my new work area..... wonder how long that will take and where everything is....................:hsmack:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 5/2/2021 at 10:47 AM, Jeff said:

wonder how long that will take and where everything is.............

It'll be in the last possible place you look. Because it's  Murphy's law. :lol:

Happens to me all the time. 

We're not moving but the reorganization of our basement is now truly underway and it is complete chaos.

The new shelves are built and they're already full with the kits that I have managed to move in the stash. Still have about a 1/3 left to move and sort. Then the pantry stuff goes where my stash used to. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, BlrwestSiR said:

It'll be in the last possible place you look. Because it's  Murphy's law. :lol:

Just to screw with Murphy I’ve been known to keep looking for something after I’ve found it.  
That’s right. I showed him who the boss was!  

• Haha 4