The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

Eduard F6F-3 Hellcat, USS Princeton, flown by Gordon Arthur Stanley in 1/48

DocRob

Hola Señhoras y Señhores, finally the Hellcat is done. It was thought as an in between project, but took longer than expected, what I should have been expecting, knowing me ;).
The kit is very good, but if you would be interested in, there could be a bit more cockpit detail. I was going for painting and finish with this build and left it as it was with the supplied PE detailing.
I added the Brassin PW-2800 engine, which is a kit in the kit and an absolute gem. A little surgery was needed, to saw away the engine cowling panels, which are to be substituted with resin ones and a PE-framing.
Painting was primarily done with Gunze acrylics and a heavy dose of multiple layering coats of oil colors for different effects. Chipping was done by brush in different colors too. 
The only real trouble was caused by the HGW wet transfers, I intended to use as a substitute for the supplied decals. They are incredibly fragile, when it comes to removing the carrier film, and I destroyed some of them, specially the eyes and fangs. After some repairs, I switched to the supplied Cartograph decals, which worked fine, phew. 

So here she is, the Hellcat with the cat mouth of VF-27

Cheers Rob

IMG_8846.thumb.JPG.2438f6664a7bab134069f762b9d93a94.JPG

IMG_8854.thumb.JPG.b52a191fc423b83a93eaedca8c5ca20c.JPG

IMG_8852.thumb.JPG.49db22b2df6fa3948eb88056fe51ff3c.JPG

IMG_8855.thumb.JPG.7570c7977ebf8556a92e7af5fbebb689.JPG

IMG_8853.thumb.JPG.20da8ce413755d4fc9fa222fa0ed7942.JPG

IMG_8851.thumb.JPG.e0c43a58e56af943b7c8a132eed0228e.JPG

IMG_8847.thumb.JPG.2b8218836e26dbf1ce530364fe2799a0.JPG

IMG_8867.thumb.JPG.5bf7ce6d422a754511e9e4371d3b2854.JPG

IMG_8869.thumb.JPG.29fe2b63dfe97aa71491b5e206b22d94.JPG

IMG_8883.thumb.JPG.464f40d387443ea171f7c786b66c1948.JPG

IMG_8884.thumb.JPG.2edb9e4970ef549ae3b6af074db10bdd.JPG

• Like 13

14 hours ago, Martinnfb said:

This is how Hellcat supposed to look like.  Very cool ! :unworthy::unworthy:

Thank you Martin, exactly my thinking, I like the early three tone schemes better, than the later all over GSB. If I would do another one, it might be British or Australian. 

9 hours ago, GazzaS said:

Excellent result, Rob!

Vielen Dank mein Herr :D, I forgot to mention, that I used the great brass made Master barrels, which were blackened chemically.

Cheers Rob

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Jackster said:

Excellent result Rob, lovely finish!

Thank you Kev, seeing the pictures I noticed, that the stencils in the area of the exhaust stain shouldn't be white, as freshly painted on :hsmack:. I will dust them with some pigments.

Cheers Rob

• Like 2

On 6/13/2021 at 3:46 PM, DocRob said:

Hola Señhoras y Señhores, finally the Hellcat is done

Rob, absolutely stunning, love the weathering very subtle. I am really tempted by your build, unfortunately the stash has priority over wish list items…….congrats 

• Like 2

Thanks Phil, you should be tempted, it's a pure fun project and I guess, the 1/48 Eduard Hellcat is the best H-cat in any scale. It is an easy build and a great canvas for painting and weathering, with lots of schemes to choose and last but not least, it can be build out of the box, if you get a Profi Pack, with the PE included.

Cheers Rob

• Like 3

15 hours ago, Kaireckstadt said:

Have seen this just now!

Thank you Kai, the 48 scale stuff is well hidden here :D. I still have to rework some areas, like the exhaust stains and maybe I add the pilot climbing into the cockpit as planned, along with the to paint carrier deck base.

Cheers Rob

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Great work Rob!  I have the Royal Class box set which doesn't have the cat mouth decals, but recently found the HGW decals that did.  When I saw it, I knew I had to build this particular Hellcat!  Good to know that the HGW transfers are very fragile - I'll keep that in mind.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 7/9/2021 at 6:20 PM, Landlubber Mike said:

Great work Rob!  I have the Royal Class box set which doesn't have the cat mouth decals, but recently found the HGW decals that did.  When I saw it, I knew I had to build this particular Hellcat!  Good to know that the HGW transfers are very fragile - I'll keep that in mind.

Thank you Mike, that Royal Class boxing is a treat. I may could bring me to build another one in FAA livery. I've seen an original cat mouth Hellcat in Chino California and had some pics of the real thing to help me.
If you plan to use the HGW wet transfers, be sure, that you have a perfectly glossed base layer under them. I ran into deep troubles with them, maybe caused by cutting the transfers, because of the openable cowlings and maybe it was caused by the curved shape of the cowls. Everything looked good, until I very carefully lifted the carrier film. I wish you luck  with yours and would be delighted, if you share your experiences.

Cheers Rob

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, JohnB said:

Looks mighty good Rob! Nice work. 😀

Thank you John, the Hellcat project was mostly pure fun. Completely relaxing and satisfying, as it should be.

Cheers Rob

• Like 1