Playing in the Sandbox Group Build Sept 1, 2024 - Jn 1, 2025

Mengnut Wings Fokker Dr. 1

Thanks for the tutorial Wolf. I use the same method, mostly with a 0,3 mm bit, sometimes even 0,2 mm, but I try to avoid the latter, being very prone to bending. Like you pointed out, the most important thing is to point the place before drilling. I sometimes use a scribing needle, sometimes a fresh blade, like you.

Cheers Rob

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 6/25/2021 at 11:33 PM, Peterpools said:

Wolf

Holy smokes, looks like you’re also up in the middle of the night. I don’t sleep much these days - just look at the time (2:32 AM).

Keep ‘em comin

Peter

Yes indeed Peter,

Some nights are like that. I’ve always been more of a night owl than an early bird but some nights it’s hard to fall asleep. I think it might have something to do with getting older, LOL!

Cheers,

Wolf

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

With my wife just having had her second back surgery I took a week off to stay at home with her. When I wasn’t needed I had time to scurry downstairs to work on the Dr. 1 cockpit some more. The cockpit metal tube framing was painted with Model Master British Interior Green and the fuselage sides were done with Tamiya’s lacquer spray gloss Racing White which is reasonably close to unbleached linen. The Racing White was covered in Microsculpt fabric effect decal and the plywood section with wood grain decal. 

rnHAWU0.jpg

The right cockpit sidewall was modified a bit by removing the long black handle that was moulded integral with the tube framing. It was flush with the framing and should sit proud. I used brass tubing and nickel plated wire which was attached to the drilled out end of the “T” handle with the thin red stripe. Photos I found online and drawings from Kagero show the Dr. 1 also used a pulse o meter so one was added using a Taurus Models item. Taurus Models has theirs listed as British but I couldn’t see any difference. Copper wire running from the bottom of the pulse o meter finished it off.

Q08LyL6.jpg

The right cockpit side wall is essentially straight out of the box. However I did drill out the center of the small red handle as it’s moulded solid 

q2ePhKN.jpg

The seat bottom is covered in wood grain decal from Aviattic.

Cheers,

Wolf

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, GazzaS said:

Very sharp work, Wolf!  I have a feeling that your build is going to become a reference for a lot of modellers.

Thanks Gary,

Very kind words which are much appreciated.

Cheers,

Wolf

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, Peterpools said:

Wolf

How is your wide doing? Hope she is recovering well with no complications.

Right with Gaz, brilliant and amazing work - I wouldn't expect anything less.

Keep 'em comin

Peter

Thanks Peter,

So far the recovery has been slow but the results of her last surgery have been far more encouraging than her 1st. It’s the first time in years she’s been able to stand straight and walk without significant pain. We’re definitely seeing improvements.

Unlike your P-39 build this one is progressing rather painlessly. I’ve always maintained that WnWs were the Tamiya of WW I kits. So far so good my friend.

Cheers,

Wolf

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Wolf

The best of news for sure. Speed is not important, it's the end result. 

Completely agree as what WNW is the Tamiya of WWI kits. Just a shame they are no longer around. I wonder what ever happened to their 32nd scale Lancaster? Now that would be a kit worth saving for.

Keep 'em comin

Peter

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Peterpools said:

Wolf

The best of news for sure. Speed is not important, it's the end result. 

Completely agree as what WNW is the Tamiya of WWI kits. Just a shame they are no longer around. I wonder what ever happened to their 32nd scale Lancaster? Now that would be a kit worth saving for.

Keep 'em comin

Peter

You’re absolutely right about the WnWs Lancaster. I had the money all saved up for the Lanc and held off buying the HK kit as I was waiting for the WNWs one. I even asked Richard Alexander about it’s imminent release. He said they had lots of test shots but it wasn’t quite ready. Then the curtain dropped and suddenly it was all over. Selfishly I could have cried at the loss of the Lancaster but I lamented the loss of WnWs as a whole and for those that lost their livelihood much more! Extremely unfortunate.

The website is still up and running so who knows? Their archive photos of both the early and late Dr. 1s is really helping with my build. Maybe we’ll all get really lucky and there’ll be an announcement they’re back at some point. Kind o’ like winning the lottery.

Cheers,

Wolf

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

Hi Wolf

It was very sad news when WNW closed it’s door not just for us but all the folks who worked there as well. What doesn’t still add up, is why after all this time is their web site still up and running?

Keep ‘em comin

Peter

• Like 5

Had to come back and admire the work some more.  I'm not much into decals when I think I can get away with using a paint brush.  But your tubing looks so sharp between the linen and wood decals that I might have to change that stance.

• Like 5

On 6/28/2021 at 1:07 AM, Kaireckstadt said:

Awesome work and great documentation Wolf.

With your posts one can start the build with adding them to the instructions and avoid any problems.

On 6/28/2021 at 1:26 AM, belugawhaleman said:

Great looking build so far and I'll be following your build with interest. The wood

grain and fabric are amazing.

Kai, belugawhaleman,

Thanks for looking in. Your comments are very much appreciated.

Cheers,                                                        
Wolf

• Like 2

On 6/28/2021 at 4:46 AM, Peterpools said:

Hi Wolf

It was very sad news when WNW closed it’s door not just for us but all the folks who worked there as well. What doesn’t still add up, is why after all this time is their web site still up and running?

Keep ‘em comin

Peter

Yes indeed Peter,

As long as their website is still up there’s still hope…….. I think, oh please, oh please!

Cheers,               
Wolf

• Like 3

On 6/28/2021 at 2:21 PM, GazzaS said:

Had to come back and admire the work some more.  I'm not much into decals when I think I can get away with using a paint brush.  But your tubing looks so sharp between the linen and wood decals that I might have to change that stance.

Thanks Gary,

I find the more I can use decals the easier it is to get the results I’m looking to achieve. For instance, trying to paint a fine silver line on a part, using a strip of silver decal gives me a sharp clean line that I may not otherwise get with paint, and the process is foolproof simple. At my age I like simple, LOL!

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, Martinnfb said:

Amazing safety chain Wolf.  wait ,   not there yet ? :)

See, this is what I get when I show Martin something before I post it. BAD MARTIN!

😑

Cheers,           
Wolf

• Haha 3

The cockpit components have been assembled and the seat with it’s RB Productions WW I German Seatbelts have been installed. The RB Productions seatbelts are, IMHO, the best aftermarket belts you could find but they’ve become extremely scarce since Radu sold the business. Very luckily  I have found enough of ‘em to  compliment the rest of my WnWs German aircraft.

sF5Umze.jpg

The diagonal bracing wires were made using EZ Line and Gaspatch turnbuckles. I had initially started to use monofilament line but when attempting to tension the line it pulled through the fragile bottom anchor point. After completing repairs EZ Line did the trick.

TMYP2Dk.jpg

Sorry for the slightly out of focus photo above.

The ammunition belt was done by painting the bullets with Mr. Metal Colour polished brass and the fabric belt was covered with a thin strip of Aviattic’s linen decal. The belt moulding itself is incredibly detailed. Once sprayed with a thin coat of Tamiya’s white lacquer primer it becomes visible that WnWs even added the metal grommets between each bullet in the belt! It’s a detail I couldn’t see with these old eyes until the primer was applied and viewed under magnification. Typical WnWs and I have to admit my initial reaction was “holy crap”.

gxzWLt4.jpg

The last two things I added was a safety chain, thanks Martin, that attached to the key for the magneto switch. For that I used some extra PE chain that came with Eduard’s Mosquito nose gun set. The other item is an altimeter which isn’t supplied in the kit but shows prominently in the Kagero drawings. I used a piece of round styrene, an Airscale brass bezel, clear acetate for the glass, found in all their instrument decal sets, and an Airscale altimeter decal. The altimeter is suspended by three springs to prevent vibrations. The anchor points on the altimeter body were made from small photo-etch pieces from an HGW detail set for the WnWs Albatross D Va kit and the springs were replicated with lengths of Bob’s Buckles tubing.

gz7b0f2.jpg

LCNyIDt.jpg

Next is enclosing this assembly in to the fuselage halves and gluing that together.

Cheers,        
Wolf

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2

Impressive detail work, with the added instruments. As others mentioned, I like the approach of using decals for fine details, like in this case the canvas ammo belt. Never thought about that.

Cheers Rob

• Like 2