The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends Aug 31, 2024 ×

Mengnut Wings Fokker Dr. 1

Wolf

Fantastic progress ... your detailing is wonderfully done.

BTW, you are forgiven for the slightly out of focus image ... I wouldn’t have noticed if you’re didn’t point it out - no pixel peeking here.

Agreed, as long as the web site is up and running, there is always hope.

Keep ‘em comin

Peter

• Like 1

19 hours ago, GazzaS said:

Quite impressive detailing, Wolf.  I never would have thought to use small decals for small details.  I really like that altimeter.

Thanks for the tip!

Thanks Gary,

I’ve been using decals for detail for a long time. I have a 1/48 scale sheet of F-4 Phantom white data stencils that I’ve used for a quite a few years to try and replicate data placards. I used it to add the L and the R on the gun triggers for the Fokker’s control column. 

Cheers,           
Wolf

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, belugawhaleman said:

Truly impressive work so far. That cockpit looks terrific! Love the added details and

scratch built instruments. Nicely done!

Thanks Paul, 

The kit has amazing detail straight out of the box and the altimeter was a last minute add on. I kept looking at it in the Kagero drawings so I thought it would add a little bit more business to the cockpit.

Cheers,          
Wolf

By the way I have extended family in Nashville Illinois and my son did two years of junior college in Centralia Illinois  He was on a baseball scholarship playing ball there before moving to West Palm Beach Florida to finish his degree.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Peterpools said:

Wolf

Fantastic progress ... your detailing is wonderfully done.

BTW, you are forgiven for the slightly out of focus image ... I wouldn’t have noticed if you’re didn’t point it out - no pixel peeking here.

Agreed, as long as the web site is up and running, there is always hope.

Keep ‘em comin

Peter

Thank-you Peter,

I really appreciate the quality of the photos you post as they’re always so sharp. I still have a lot to learn regarding my photography. I muddle through but it’s not quite there yet.

Cheers,            
Wolf

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Wolf Buddee said:

Thanks Gary,

I’ve been using decals for detail for a long time. I have a 1/48 scale sheet of F-4 Phantom white data stencils that I’ve used for a quite a few years to try and replicate data placards. I used it to add the L and the R on the gun triggers for the Fokker’s control column. 

Cheers,           
Wolf

Thanks for that one, too...  leftover data stencils!  I love it!

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Kaireckstadt said:

Great progress Wolf. Awesome looking pit!

Thanks Kai,

It’ll be interesting to see how much will be visible when the fuselage is all closed up and the MGs are installed.

Cheers,           
Wolf

• Like 3

Good evening all,

The cockpit assembly was clicked in to place without glue within the left fuselage half and the the two fuselage halves were glued together. I glued the upper seam first to ensure I had the cleanest join possible and eliminate any potential step along the seam. Once that had set I fitted the center strip with stitching detail in to place on the bottom and ran Tamiya’s extra thin glue along both edges of the strip. I fiddled with getting the strip to sit level all the way to the back of the fuselage but wasn’t 100% successful. Nonetheless it turned out fairly well and with the application of some Mr. Surfacer and rubbing down the excess with a Micromesh polishing cloth it looks quite presentable. The underside of the fuselage was rough in a couple of spots but most notably in the area between the ground handling loops. A couple of applications of Mr. Surfacer and a bit of aggressive sanding sorted that out. I think if I were to do it again I would glue the center strip down, sand it flush with the lower fuselage surface, and use Archer’s resin stitching decals instead. The engine firewall has been press fit in to place, not glued, to ensure the front of the fuselage retains it’s proper shape while gluing the upper and lower seams. Not gluing the firewall at this point will make sense later when the bracing wires for the landing gear struts and the upper cabane struts are installed and tensioned. All in all I haven’t any real complaints with how the kit has gone together so far. It’s typical WnWs.

pdDHgyT.jpg

HVQ3CKD.jpg

foVkS96.jpg

8hUrF4r.jpg

f6Z6zeB.jpg

PogI6si.jpg

After dry fitting the horizontal stabilizer/elevators part I found the gap between it and the fuselage was a bit too big so a small styrene shim was added to the fuselage. There’s supposed to a small gap there but not as wide as what I had with dry fitting.

Cheers,              
Wolf

• Like 8

Hi Wolf

Meticulous work ... the office and interior assemblies fit looks perfect. Thank you for sharing the pluses and minuses of how you dealt with the lower underside seam, a lot trickier then meets the eye. A good deal of times I just plow ahead instead of taking my time and pay the penalty in extra filler and sanding sticks.
pics look sharp and clean

Keep ‘em comin

Peter

• Like 3

My good friend  Wolf ! Man I just read through the whole thread.  I have been missing the whole thing. Amazing work per your usual building ! I love it.....harv :popcorn:

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Peterpools said:

Hi Wolf

Meticulous work ... the office and interior assemblies fit looks perfect. Thank you for sharing the pluses and minuses of how you dealt with the lower underside seam, a lot trickier then meets the eye. A good deal of times I just plow ahead instead of taking my time and pay the penalty in extra filler and sanding sticks.
pics look sharp and clean

Keep ‘em comin

Peter

Thanks Peter,

So far the underside seam has required the most attention but certainly nothing insurmountable. Just time consuming as I had to wait for the multiple applications of Mr. Surfacer to completely cure. As you can see from the photos there were a couple of spots on the upper fuselage that needed a bit of Mr. Surfacer as well. The upper seam clean up was quick and easy though.

Cheers,                
Wolf

• Like 2

7 hours ago, KevinM said:

That's some sharp work as usual Wolf man I wish I had that kind of patience.Don't stop! :unworthy:

Thanks Kevin,

I’m sure you have an abundance of patience. But if you’re like me you might not use it all at the same place or at the same time. That’s life eh?

I won’t be stopping as I’m on a bit of a roll now. The slow down will be ‘cause I have to wait for paint to dry.

Cheers,             
Wolf

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Clunkmeister said:

Good grief......

WOW!!!

Flawless work as usual, Wolf

Thanks Ernie,

Despite some people’s misgivings about this kit, I can assure you, it’s all WnWs………….except the crappy instructions which are nothing like what WnWs gave us.

Cheers,                
Wolf

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, harv said:

My good friend  Wolf ! Man I just read through the whole thread.  I have been missing the whole thing. Amazing work per your usual building ! I love it.....harv :popcorn:

Hey Harvey!

Thanks for checkin’ in on me. I’m glad you like what I’ve done so far and it’s always a pleasure hearing from you. How are you and Bev doing? I understand you’ve been spending some time with grand kids. That’s always very special times eh?

Cheers,             
Wolf

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, belugawhaleman said:

I see that Meng may be producing a 1/24 scale version of this same subject. Anyone

know any more about this?

image.png.d97736bbf7ce1a670e2e09f044186f43.png

Hi Paul,

There’s been spruce shots shown, I believe, on Meng’s website. The 1/24th kit appears to be a nicer kit than the 1/32nd version. It’s definitely not a scaled up copy, for the most part, of the 1/32nd  model. It’s been said that the 1/24th kit was also being developed by WnWs so who knows what we would have gotten had they stayed the course.

Cheers,            
Wolf

• Like 4

I have the 1/24 here - it’s the nicest and best detailed kit I’ve ever seen that wingnut developed, of all kits that have been released. And the wings are dead flat in it too, no curving to fix

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1