Jump to content

1:144 E-2C Hawkeye (Revell kit and RetroWings propellers)


Recommended Posts

This is my first post in LSM and I am sharing some photos of the model presently seating in my bench (a very small scale model).

It's Revell's 1:144 scale Hawkeye. I am using the decals included in the box and its boxart is clearly inspired by a photo you can easily find in wikipedia.  This photo c~shows the aircraft with the new 8 bladed propeller and I got myself a set from RetroWings.

 

The kit is pretty straightforward and is was quickly built (only the air intakes and exhausts required some special attention.

KQUhHGX.jpeg

 

The resin propellers did not have a very positive fit, so I built a simple jig, allowing me to set a consistent pitch for all blades.

qqXzVXg.jpeg

 

Before committing to glue any blade, I tested the fit between the propeller hub and the engine. The propeller hubs proved to be a bit to wide for the kit parts and I tried to slightly reduce their diameter, but as their axles are a bit off center it was impossible to simply turn them. I decided to turn my own parts on the mini-lathe, using brass rod.

V1eiL7O.jpeg

 

The fit was now much better (sorry for the poor photo, it was quickly snapped with my phone).

qANEj6l.jpeg

 

Using a dividing head I could easily make the holes to fit the propeller blades.

MLWhYke.jpeg

ovf1TSH.jpeg

1Y83isf.jpeg

The airframe already got its base colours.

2wfV47Q.jpeg

OodsHQ4.jpeg

 

I hope to post more soon.

 

Cheers

 

 

 

  • Like 10
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/20/2021 at 10:31 AM, marcopreto said:

This is my first post in LSM and I am sharing some photos of the model presently seating in my bench (a very small scale model).

:1051927712:, great opening project…….looking forward to the next update 

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

Thank you all for your kind comments.

 

Here's a quick update! Decals are finally applied. The process was long as I ended up with some decals fragments on my fingers when I tried to do it in one go. I retouched the damaged decals and from then on, only applied a couple of decals at a time and left them to properly dry before applying the next batch.

J7EzRHk.jpeg

vBb3xz1.jpeg

zTpNrMx.jpeg

98yQiVX.jpeg

I still need to apply the propeller decals and add some subtle weathering before completing it.

gy4J7pF.jpeg

 

I hope to share some more progress soon!

Cheers

  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Finally completed! I had a few mishaps with the clear parts and tried to minimize the damage (brush coating them with gloss varnish) but after adding the small antenna wire I called it completed.

Here are a few photos of the completed model:

Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image

Cheers

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...