1:144 E-2C Hawkeye (Revell kit and RetroWings propellers)

This is my first post in LSM and I am sharing some photos of the model presently seating in my bench (a very small scale model).

It's Revell's 1:144 scale Hawkeye. I am using the decals included in the box and its boxart is clearly inspired by a photo you can easily find in wikipedia.  This photo c~shows the aircraft with the new 8 bladed propeller and I got myself a set from RetroWings.

The kit is pretty straightforward and is was quickly built (only the air intakes and exhausts required some special attention.

KQUhHGX.jpeg

The resin propellers did not have a very positive fit, so I built a simple jig, allowing me to set a consistent pitch for all blades.

qqXzVXg.jpeg

Before committing to glue any blade, I tested the fit between the propeller hub and the engine. The propeller hubs proved to be a bit to wide for the kit parts and I tried to slightly reduce their diameter, but as their axles are a bit off center it was impossible to simply turn them. I decided to turn my own parts on the mini-lathe, using brass rod.

V1eiL7O.jpeg

The fit was now much better (sorry for the poor photo, it was quickly snapped with my phone).

qANEj6l.jpeg

Using a dividing head I could easily make the holes to fit the propeller blades.

MLWhYke.jpeg

ovf1TSH.jpeg

1Y83isf.jpeg

The airframe already got its base colours.

2wfV47Q.jpeg

OodsHQ4.jpeg

I hope to post more soon.

Cheers

• Like 10

On 8/20/2021 at 10:31 AM, marcopreto said:

This is my first post in LSM and I am sharing some photos of the model presently seating in my bench (a very small scale model).

:1051927712:, great opening project…….looking forward to the next update 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you all for your kind comments.

Here's a quick update! Decals are finally applied. The process was long as I ended up with some decals fragments on my fingers when I tried to do it in one go. I retouched the damaged decals and from then on, only applied a couple of decals at a time and left them to properly dry before applying the next batch.

J7EzRHk.jpeg

vBb3xz1.jpeg

zTpNrMx.jpeg

98yQiVX.jpeg

I still need to apply the propeller decals and add some subtle weathering before completing it.

gy4J7pF.jpeg

I hope to share some more progress soon!

Cheers

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Finally completed! I had a few mishaps with the clear parts and tried to minimize the damage (brush coating them with gloss varnish) but after adding the small antenna wire I called it completed.

Here are a few photos of the completed model:

Cheers

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1