The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

Pro tip on using a vented paint booth.

ScottsGT

Don’t forget to put your vent in the window before you start spraying.  🤡

I was airbrushing lacquer primer on my Fisher Cougar and started to wonder why it wasn’t drawing the fumes out so good.  Well, it was.  But it was just blowing them back into the room under my bench.  I’m such a maroon. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 9

Mine is not vented outside as I'm mainly concerned about dust and mostly use

Acrylics. However I also have a filtered air-purifyer that is vented outdoors and I

usually keep my windows open. I noticed spraying Tamiya surfacer/primer without the

booth I get lots of dust! 

• Like 5

15 hours ago, BlrwestSiR said:

Wait, spray booths have a vent???

Wait, what is a spray booth ??? A thingie to draw in paint fumes ? And expel them outside ?

OMG , that exists ?!

Hubert 😂

• Haha 8

All joking apart, I now have a paint booth with a pipe to the outside, but I did not know this existed a few years back, when I started using an airbrush :( . I guess that’s what you dub « youth innocence » …

Hubert

• Like 5

Since being diagnosed with cancer about three years ago and going though chemo, I am extra cautious with my painting procedures. Regardless of the type of paint being air brushed (I'm moving towards acrylics for military modeling), solvent or acrylic paints, I always wear a very good respirator and my paint/spray booth hooked up and running. The paint booth is vented to the outside through a window with ducting made for this purpose and the remaining open space sealed with foam, so that no paint fumes and particles can be blown back into the room.  When I'm finished air brushing, I thoroughly clean my air brush, eye droppers and pipets, etc in the spray booth which is still running and still wearing my respirator. I try to take as many precautions as I can. When finished and cleaned up, at this point I turn off the paint booth and remover my respirator. Doesn't take much longer to be as careful as possible. Just wish I knew about this years ago.

Keep 'em comin

Peter 

• Like 4

Hey Peter, sounds like some good precautions.  May I add that you leave the fan running for a half hour to an hour as the paint dries?  While paint dries it’s still emitting the same chemicals as when you’re spraying them. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, ScottsGT said:

Hey Peter, sounds like some good precautions.  May I add that you leave the fan running for a half hour to an hour as the paint dries?  While paint dries it’s still emitting the same chemicals as when you’re spraying them. 

Exactly what I do …

Plus, besides the obvious health benefit, it keeps the house boss 👩‍🦰 happy.

Hubert

• Like 3

I'm very cautious with paint fumes and mostly sanding dust too. I use my booth and a respirator mask when spraying since years. When I'm spraying hot paints, I leave the room after application and let the air clean through draft. Luckily my cave is a workshop and is the complete basement of the house, so no stink in the living areas.
I'm using airbrushes since my twens, but then mostly on paper for illustrations and on motorcycle helmets. By the time, I had a small flat, where I brushed without a mask and booth. Sometimes, I could detect, where a glass stood on my desktop by the circular non residues, where it stood. Oh my, poor old lungs and by this time I was smoking on top.

Cheers Rob 

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

9 hours ago, ScottsGT said:

Scott

Excellent precaution and I'll add it to painting regiment. This time of the year, when I'm done painting, I also leave the windows open to help vent the room.

Keep 'em comin

Peter

• Like 1

4 hours ago, HubertB said:

Exactly what I do …

Plus, besides the obvious health benefit, it keeps the house boss 👩‍🦰 happy.

Hubert

Hubert

Absolutely the most important rule to follow  👩‍🦱

Keep 'em comin

Peter

• Like 1

3 hours ago, GazzaS said:

I just paint outside.

Gaz

I tried once but how I work; it just doesn't seem to flow. Ff course, my part of the agreement with the chief: I have my studio and that's where I work and paint.  So far, our hobby agreement has worked perfectly for almost 53 years. Yup, time sure does fly by and I wouldn't change a thing.

Keep 'em comin

Peter

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DocRob said:

I'm very cautious with paint fumes and mostly sanding dust too. I use my booth and a respirator mask when spraying since years. When I'm spraying hot paints, I leave the room after application and let the air clean through draft. Luckily my cave is a workshop and is the complete basement of the house, so no stink in the living areas.
I'm using airbrushes since my twens, but then mostly on paper for illustrations and on motorcycle helmets. By the time, I had a small flat, where I brushed without a mask and booth. Sometimes, I could detect, where a glass stood on my desktop by the circular non residues, where it stood. Oh my, poor old lungs and by this time I was smoking on top.

Cheers Rob 

Rob

That's how I did things in the old days as well, as back then we were fearless and never a concern, besides who knew?

Now as time as past by and health issues for everyone in the house is a major concern, I try to exercise as much precaution and safety as possible.  

After long painting sessions, I'll also head out for other areas in the house, leave the windows open and let the air clear as well.

Keep 'em comin

Peter

• Like 1

• Administrators

I have two booths.. the first is a 12 ft by 14 ft area that a has a fan.. on the ceiling, and contains my bench.

The second is a mobile vent: 5 ft 9 inches, two legs, slow moving, and extremely ugly. It takes the fumes in, then goes outside and vents them out.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, GazzaS said:

I just paint outside.

I can only do that around here in a very limited time of the year.  Obviously winter is too cold.  But our summers have such high humidity that any lacquer paints would blush like crazy and have that nasty white haze over everything.   I drop my AC in the man cave down to 69 degrees and go at it! 

• Like 2