The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

Special Hobby Whirlwind

Thanks Dennis and I completely agree ... the Kit World Seatbelt set does leave a lot to be desired and on my next WWII RAF build, I'll be following your lead and using the Airscale Sutton sets. I just need to figure out which Sutton harness is what.

• Like 2

Carl

Agreed, the extra work on the front office does look good and well worth the time and effort. What I always wonder, is why add all the extra details and spend the time on details that will never be seen when the model is closed up? 

• Like 1

The cockpit looks beautiful and the details will pop under the domed canopy. Pity with the decals. My last Cartographs worked well over the ZM-Kai Phantom IP's and there was a lot of 3D to cover. Maybe a hairdryer would help a bit. There is a vinyl IP available from Kits World.

Cheers Rob

• Like 1

Thanks Rob, very much appreciated. 

The Cartograf decal issues are still a mystery and yes, a small hair dryer would have helped soften the decals and made installation much easier. By the time I ran across the Kit World IP, I already was far enough along to keep going with the kit decals and finish up the install. I did think that two early style 3D IP's was a bit pricy at $19.99, especially when nothing else comes with the small sheet - no placards or seat belts and if they would have been included, it would have been a worthwhile purchase and I would have gone for it. Also, why two IP's if both are for the early version? Even the seatbelt set I bought was a bit pricy for what was supplied and NO instructions at all. 

My brother is an awesome race car modeler and on his side of the modeling fence, there has also been discussion about Cartograf decals as of late. The thought might be with the supply chain for everything being hard pressed and always running short these days, Cartograf might have changed the carrier film they are using. It's only a guess on their part but could be an answer. 

• Like 2

FRUSTRATIONS HAVE FINALLY ARRIVED

Other then the usual placement and Cartograf decal issues (which SH had no control over), the fuselage and front office weren’t bad at all.

THE WINGS – HERE WE GO!

No real issues with the upper half, as small spar pieces glued in easily as well as the oil coolers – just be careful with the placement of parts E7 & E8, as the instructions aren’t that clear. I wanted to keep going on my light weathering and highlighted all the details with either Tamiya Dark Brown PLW or Ammo by Mig PLW Stone Grey and Tamiya Black. Oil Coolers were highlighted with Tamiya Black PLW. Look and feel of an in-use aircraft came through just fine.

The Lower Wing: OUCH!

First issue is the dive brake assembly inside the wing (at least I think that’s what they are) – actually figuring out how a few of the parts actually fit wasn’t clear nor easy. The dive brakes (radiator exhaust flaps Thanks Hubert for the correction of what they flaps actually are) themselves will be left slightly open, so I weathered all the internal details on them just to be on the safe side. Pretty much a waste of time as not much will be seen.

THE LANDING GEAR HOUSING: OMG HORRENDOUS!!! I don’t even know where to start. Bulkhead assemblies are ok – just take your time. Now try and fit them into the actual landing gear housing – good luck … nothing fits as the instructions lead you to believe. I jumped over to the CAD drawings and between them – pure fantasyland. Neither matches the other and they don’t match the actual parts. I looked at loads of build photographs, photographs of the actual aircraft and more then a few times had the Whirlwind making a reservation for the SOD. How John finish his Helldiver and Ernie keeps making progress on his by leaps and bounds just amazes me.

The issue isn’t the fact the Whirlwind is a limited production kit with molding issues, which are bound to happen. The issue is the instructions, they are TERRIBLE and at this point they should be the foundation of my build and proved to be inaccurate, unreliable and of no help; a mojo killer if there ever was one. They look great, awesome color and nicely presented but the needed information at least as I needed to move forward, just wasn’t there or hidden where I couldn’t find it.

Mold making and design are the costliest portion of producing a kit but the instructions, especially on this style of kit need to be accurate and present the assembly information in a clear an easy to follow manor, where there is no doubt on how parts and assemblies go together.

I’m still knee deep, working on the entire gear assembly … fingers crossed.

Test fitting the wings to the fuselage - a pretty good fit.

hjcaaV.jpg

The bottom of the radiator exhaust bay, is a separate piece and figuring out how it actually fits and blends in seems easy after the fact.

CVw3gj.jpg

Started sanding the fuselage seamsRGqZQd.jpg

kfGjQi.jpg

The Main Gear bays/nacelles - the upper left nacelle has the forward and read bulkheads glues in. I'm not sure if I have them actually in the correct orientation as I needed to do some cutting and sanding to get them in place. I'll be reinforcing them as they will be carrying the weight the model and right now, I do not have much faith in their integrity. 

Yes, I number and letter parts after removing them from the frets, so I know which is what.

NzrOSn.jpg

pYWVBq.jpg

Gear doors, radiator exhaust doors, the other front and rear gear bulkheads, front office floor which will be glued to the upper wing. 4yXlKb.jpg

• Like 6

Peter just catching up, the pit looks fantastic as ever, beautifully restrained weathering. ……..then I just read the rest, why……..is what I ask…….this is not a cheap kit and no wonder I haven’t seen many built………..watching from behind the sofa……….

• Like 1

Phil, thanks and much appreciated.

I thought the same and after jumping in with both feet, it became apparent, the kit is a test of will and a load of frustration. I can understand and appreciate all the issues and problems in producing a limited run kit but to go the route of full color instructions on glossy paper and then fall down in the "help" department causes all sorts of frustrations. I know if I put it down and started a second build to work on together, it will be mighty hard to find the energy to keep plugging away. So, I'm sticking to the plan and staying the course.

• Like 2

Sorry to read your difficulties, Peter… But I am sure you will prevail in the end ;)

A small technical side comment: what you call the air brakes are in fact the radiator exhaust flaps … However, knowing what they are does not necessarily make them easier to fit :)

Hubert

• Like 4

Peter, looks like two steps forward and one step back. Or is it one forward and two back? Either way, please stick it out as tempting as it is to start something else. This of course coming from me where I have a pile of "I'll get back to it after a quick break" models clogging up things. 

I think you'll figure it out and get back to making good progress. 

Carl

• Like 2

I feel your pain while not as bad as yours the SH Yak I did the wheel wells were a "B" like yours instructions was a waste took them apart more then twice figuring that crap out.It will be okay in the end Peter it's a hurdle for sure the lines are there though for a great looking kit .......... :hsmack:

• Like 2

Peter, while I was waiting for the seats on my CF-104 to dry I couldn't help but break my copy of the Whirlwind out and I think I've found the issue. 

I taped together one pair of nacelles and then fitted the corresponding bulkheads. I used G1 and G4 nacelles and the bulkheads are G3 and F35. 

PXL_20220828_223521352.thumb.jpg.334ff4b57a2b2ccff7b38fb35f9fd4db.jpg

The problem to me is the tabs on G3 (and the opposite side G23). They don't allow the bulkhead to sit where it needs to. They need to be cut back a bit to fit properly. I modded G3 and it's on the bottom with the stock G23 on top for comparison.

PXL_20220828_223636479.thumb.jpg.26116aa58f62d87775b24b713c6eb9e8.jpg

Here it is in place without any glue, just the tape holding the nacelles together.

PXL_20220828_224243093.thumb.jpg.a4e0e9954bb57e5a259522774c863cfd.jpg

From the inside. 

PXL_20220828_224254002_MP.thumb.jpg.328b13f0ab3120abb42a76305d507689.jpg

With some glue and a bit of pressure the fit should be even better. 

I hope this helps you out. 

Carl

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Sorry to hear about your frustrations.  Seems to me this is a "Tape-and-see" kit.  In other words, tape it together and see if and how it fits before wasting your painting energy or adding pain to your frustration by potentially wrecking your own paintwork.

But I know you will prevail!

• Like 2