The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

Special Hobby Whirlwind

Phil

Very much appreciated and I'm glad I've finally made it to the paint booth - the Whirlwind has been a struggle at times.

My wife and I have been watching and following Queen Elizabeth's Funeral on TV. Her influence on the world has been just remarkable.

• Like 5

STARTING THE CAMMO WORK

Just though I would post a few quick iPhone photos showing I haven’t fallen asleep at switch and cammo work is underway.

After cleaning up the two small sanding marks and two mini seams, it was time to start thinking about how to go about the cammo work. Of late, I’ve been making masks from enlarging the painting plans in the kit and I thought I would do the same with the Whilwind. I did find a few errors in the drawings where some of the patterns didn’t line up from view to view and the color drawings were also quite a bit smaller then those in the Tamiya Spitfire kit I recently finished, adding to the time needed to prepare the masks. Eventually I had all the masks done and needed nearly three days/work sessions to place them correctly, including what seemed as if I made a zillion Tamiya tape roll ups to hold everything in place.

The hardest areas to work the masks around were the engine nacelles and with a small amount of the John B Cuss factor, they were on. When looking at the color layout drawings, the areas between the fuselage and nacelles aren’t shown and figuring out the cammo pattern took some time to research out.

AK Real Colors RAF Dark Brown was used and a very good color match – thank goodness. I found two small spots where I need to go back and clean up a small bit of over spray and then it’s on to the Sky undersides.

strwVB.jpg

BxjtmP.jpg

04vD1w.jpg

AKl34c.jpg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

On 9/15/2022 at 2:09 AM, DocRob said:

Hola Mike, I had the same problem some years ago with my tiny booth.

P1130941.thumb.JPG.cd1f7304843756d554a8e9d51b5b3964.JPG

I removed the plastic sidewalls and bottom parts and used a large plastic container sawed in a rectangle opening into the bottom and duct-taped it to the vent unit.

P1130943.thumb.JPG.a2f25f9fff285cf79feda7546e62b009.JPG

Then I spun some flexible LED strips around for lighting e voila the booth is enlarged and takes a wingspan up to nearly 60cm's. The modification was a cheapo and it works very well, even better when you use highly thinned colors, which escaped the old booth layout much easier, than after the modification with the higher volume.

P1130947.thumb.JPG.8eaeb8e1e204d57342b57c7f8c577201.JPG

Cheers Rob

I’m going to make a spray booth like this 

• Like 3

Thanks Gaz, very much appreciated. I'm starting to get the same feeling. Once the air brush work is done, I always felt the mechanical portion of the build is finished and I've turned the corner, especially with the Whirlwind. Just seems it's one of those builds where it's always two steps forward and then one step backwards.

• Like 3

Thanks Rob, very much appreciated. 

This is the first go at using AK Real Colors as my primary paints and I have to say I am very impressed. Thinned with Mr Color Self Leveling Thinner, they shoot wonderfully, dry very smooth and have a bit of a semi matt/semi sheen to them. I'm sure I will be using them in the future along with MRP and Mr Color.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Peterpools said:

This is the first go at using AK Real Colors as my primary paints and I have to say I am very impressed. Thinned with Mr Color Self Leveling Thinner, they shoot wonderfully, dry very smooth and have a bit of a semi matt/semi sheen to them. I'm sure I will be using them in the future along with MRP and Mr Color.

I start to get the same feeling with the Real Colors. I used them successfully on some tiny projects and just last week started my Corsair build, where I used RC and liked them a lot. I thinned them with Mr. Color Self Leveling Thinner too and was very thrilled with the results.

Cheers Rob

• Like 2