The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

Special Hobby Whirlwind

SPECIAL HOBBY

WESTLAND WHIRLWIND F Mk1

With the Spitfire completed, it was time to clear the bench and move onto my next project. I was on a roll with WWII RAF aircraft and decided to keep going with Special Hobby’s Whirlwind. Time for me to understand the ground rules:

The SH Whirlwind is a limited production kit, not a Tamiya kit, so there will be substantial test fitting, most parts would need some clean up and hopefully not too many fit issues. I plan on building the kit as always; OOB and from the initial look through the box, detailing is right up there with the best of them. Some AM was purchased to mainly help along the way - Kits World’s 3D Whirlwind seatbelts and a set of Art canopy masks. SH went all the way and the decals are Cartograf, so there won’t be any decal issues to deal with at all. No moaning as I’m just glad SH released a Whirlwind to enjoy.   

Two versions are included: early and late and I’m going with one of the two early versions, most likely P6985, HE-J, No. 263 Squadron, RAF Exeter AB, March 1941. Color scheme: Dark Green and Dark Earth, Sky undersurfaces with the port lower wing black for identification.  

Paints are now in house: AK Real Colors for exterior colors and MRP and Tamiya for interior colors. I also have the Ammo by Mig Early RAF Paint set but the Green and Brown look a bit on the light side and AK’s colors are closer to my reference materials. I’m also leaning towards using MRP Black Primer to help darken the final hues of green and brown.

I’ve read through the instructions a few times, labeled all the frets for easier identification. SH assembly steps use parts from a number of different sprues/frets and the parts on them are very Revell like, as they do not run in numerical order, not a biggie but takes time to hunt the part down. On the plus side, there are terrific sprue breakdown drawings in the instructions to help locate parts and almost all the parts have color call outs as well.

The bench is cleaned and I’m ready to go.  

U8JfUl.jpg

ALL the AM Supplies for the build

R294UV.jpg

2jhHE8.jpg

• Like 14

Thanks Bill, glad your on board for the Whirlwind. Over the past years, MRP has become my go to paint, but I am finding myself using more and more AK Real Colors and Mr Color. When it comes to acrylics, Tamiya has always been my go to paint. 

I've been wanting to try MR Surfacer 1500 Light Gray and Black primers and just might give it a go on the Whirlwind.

• Like 2

Thanks Gaz

Glad you're on board and along for the journey. I've already started the interior and one thing for sure, lots of test fitting and determining where and how parts go is the name of the game. Going to be a fun build with a lot of challenges.

• Like 2

Hi Phil

As I already discovered, starting with the front office, the Whirlwind isn't a Tamiya kit in any stretch of the imagination and I guessing, but nowhere as frustrating and 'head banging' as the helldiver seems to be. I knew this going into the project and promised myself that there wouldn't be any comparisons to Tamiya, just two different animals entirely. As I'm now into the front office, extra time needs to be taken as to where parts actually go and how they are to be assembled. I have found the best resource for figuring all this out is a steady diet of the CAD Drawing on SP web site - just clears up a lot of the guess work. 

• Like 3

Thanks Dennis, they absolutely help. SP office isn't as detailed built with a bit of weathering and the decals will come somewhere in the neighborhood.

My info shows the seat cushion to be a light-midtone brown canvas material. Ay better info as it's the first thing you see when looking into the cockpit.

• Like 1

Fantastic choice of a not so often modeled subject!  Love the engine pods - they seem almost out of scale for the aircraft.  Will be following this one closely!

I'm working on my first Special Hobby kit - the 1/48 Buffalo - and you're right, there's a lot of test fitting and extra work to get things to fit with these kits.  I had a few gaps, but nothing too difficult to fill with strips, putty, etc.  The instructions can be a bit of a head scratcher at times, but they seem to build into nice kits.

By the way, love how you added your current work to your signature.  Cool touch!

• Like 2

Hi Peter, another photo, the seat cushion does seem to be of a canvas type material from the photos, so a light or medium tan may be appropriate, I have just had a look through my books but cannot find any more information, though I have discovered that I have a 2014 and a 2021 issue of the same book, the Valiant Airframe Album 4.

7DIi03.jpg

Cheers

Dennis

• Like 3

Mike, yup. we seem to be countering the same small issues at this stage of our builds. Special Hobby does have a unique way of doing things and once learning their ways and how their instructions depict the work to be done for each step, things do get a bit easier. I'm making progress on the front office and an about halfway through it and getting ready to do a build update in a day or so. Lots of small detail parts that need a gentle nudge into place and then brush painting. One thing I am finding pretty consistent is the small detail parts are all a bit soft and not as sharply molded as I would like but once in place and detailed painted, look pretty good.

Any chance of you posting some build photos of your Buffalo? Would be a treat to follow your progress.

• Like 2