The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

Group Builds.

Clunkmeister

5 hours ago, BlrwestSiR said:

My second guess would be Nautilus but you already built one. 

Having already built a Nautilus, I was considering a 48 scale rescue dio with a Walrus, but changed my mind. There are not so many builds to be found with the Fore Model 1/72 Schnellboot S-38. If that small scale vessel is accepted, I'm in and I add some fine resin figures for the crew.

Cheers Rob

11 hours ago, BlrwestSiR said:

Seaview? 

My second guess would be Nautilus but you already built one. 

Damnit!  You figured it out.  LOL. 

Yea, I’ve got the big kit that’s 39” long.  I need to order a few accessories like the lighting kit and interior for it though. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, ScottsGT said:

Damnit!  You figured it out.  LOL. 

Yea, I’ve got the big kit that’s 39” long.  I need to order a few accessories like the lighting kit and interior for it though. 

I figured we're old enough to remember the movie so it was a decent guess. Of course it could have been their giant scale Flying Sub kit. 

Paragrafix does several PE sets for the Seaview. Check out Culttvmanshop.com for lighting kits. 

Carl 

It’s on deck!  Ordered all the aftermarket stuff last night and this morning.  image.jpg

As you can see I’m putting the wraps on the F-16. Should be done today. Dec 1 start will give me time to clean up and knock out a few other honey-do’s in the meantime. 

• Like 10

25 minutes ago, CANicoll said:

When does this GB start/end?

I think the consensus was Dec.1st.    Bench is clear now and I have a couple of projects for my daughters and whatever the wife dreams up in the next few days, so timing is good for me. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Does this qualify for the upcoming Group Build?  She builds pretty big...

image.thumb.jpeg.f3a5abe400bed334f2ac45c3c1db5bfc.jpeg

I picked this up a while ago, and upon opening the box remembered a few goodies were added in:

This one I will see about doing as I seem to remember the kit cockpit is not very detailed. 

image.thumb.jpeg.d23e7b353dfe5cbd27a3994f276789ad.jpeg

Not sure if I will do the surgery needed to add in a resin tail but may give the PBY-5 Corrected Tail a shot.  I don't know enough about the aircraft to know if the kit tail is correct or not.  I build one before and it LOOKS like a Catalina to me!

Anyone interested in the PBY-6A conversion set?  I have never heard of Belcher Bits before this, to be honest.

image.thumb.jpeg.017fbb3ebd25aa78f1f9258712aaf82a.jpeg

Does this qualify for the GB?

Thanks, Chris

• Like 7

1 hour ago, CANicoll said:

I picked this up a while ago, and upon opening the box remembered a few goodies were added in:

This one I will see about doing as I seem to remember the kit cockpit is not very detailed. 

Not sure if I will do the surgery needed to add in a resin tail but may give the PBY-5 Corrected Tail a shot.  I don't know enough about the aircraft to know if the kit tail is correct or not.  I build one before and it LOOKS like a Catalina to me!

Anyone interested in the PBY-6A conversion set?  I have never heard of Belcher Bits before this, to be honest.

Thanks, Chris

I'd say it's big enough to qualify. 

The kit tail section is fat compared to the corrected one. The early version of the correction set came with a solid tail which made the model tail heavy and then some. Mike later made the tail in 2 hollow halves that were much lighter. Looks likes the 6A conversion has the later set. 

Belcher Bits is still around. They're mostly focussed on Canadian subjects. I believe he helped Ernie with the decals for his gorgeous Lanc build. 

Carl

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, BlrwestSiR said:

I'd say it's big enough to qualify. 

The kit tail section is fat compared to the corrected one. The early version of the correction set came with a solid tail which made the model tail heavy and then some. Mike later made the tail in 2 hollow halves that were much lighter. Looks likes the 6A conversion has the later set. 

Belcher Bits is still around. They're mostly focussed on Canadian subjects. I believe he helped Ernie with the decals for his gorgeous Lanc build. 

Carl

Carl, I bought this kit on eBay with some AM, and this tail was in there.  I always assumed it was Belcher (no indication on the labeling but it seems to have an instruction sheet using similar words to what Chris' looks like).  Maybe it is the early version since it appears solid:

image.thumb.jpeg.10d6f702b288ddd46ac51c075989e49a.jpeg

14 hours ago, CANicoll said:

Thanks, Chris

Chris, great choice!  From what I've seen online, the Belcher corrected tail fixes one of the biggest problems with the kit.  I know Belcher came out with other conversion sets as well, including your 6A tail.

For aftermarket, True Details made a bunch of sets - cockpit, wheels, and beaching wheels.  Moskit also has exhausts that pop up on eBay here and there.

The Eduard PE sets look really nice to dress up the undercarriage (48825) and the floats (48826).  There's also an exterior set (48827) and Brassin wheels (648192).  Some of them are harder to find than others.  I believe I have an extra set of floats and exterior PE if you're interested.  I also have an extra Quickboost engine (48061) - bought two of them thinking there was only one engine in the packet, but there were two 🤬

image.gif.8759345490bb9402ab00f9195b849d43.gif

image.gif.67c3033f38d8e905e6e325ca322b075d.gif

image.gif.2820180fc18ca78b43b2c23489d72362.gif

• Like 6

Mike, I think you have one of the very early Belcher sets compared to mine - very cool!  Your resin looks exactly like mine.   Thanks for the offer of the PE but I'm going to try and keep this relatively simple - just work on the cockpit...  The engine is tempting but they'd be mismatched but thanks.  I'm going to build this in-flight so no undercarriage.  I'm hoping to pull some pilots out of the extra's I have but I may change my mind once I get into the build.

I have a set of the old Moskit exhausts, but I think they are for a 1/72 Spit or Mustang.  I used them ages ago on a number of builds, esp the P-39s.  Can't beat the look of them!

See ya, neighbor!

Chris

• Like 4

2 hours ago, CANicoll said:

Mike, I think you have one of the very early Belcher sets compared to mine - very cool!  Your resin looks exactly like mine.   Thanks for the offer of the PE but I'm going to try and keep this relatively simple - just work on the cockpit...  The engine is tempting but they'd be mismatched but thanks.  I'm going to build this in-flight so no undercarriage.  I'm hoping to pull some pilots out of the extra's I have but I may change my mind once I get into the build.

I have a set of the old Moskit exhausts, but I think they are for a 1/72 Spit or Mustang.  I used them ages ago on a number of builds, esp the P-39s.  Can't beat the look of them!

See ya, neighbor!

Chris

How are you going to do it in flight?  Do you have a stand?  

Apparently this model needs something like 200g of nose weight to avoid being a tail sitter - and I'm not sure if that includes just the base kit, or adding the Belcher tail and other resin AM 😳  One guy who built it using the Belcher tail said his landing gear collapsed - and that's after he tried hollowing it out as much as possible.  I've got the Scale Aircraft Conversions landing gear, but wonder if that is even strong enough to support the plane.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Landlubber Mike said:

How are you going to do it in flight?  Do you have a stand?  

Apparently this model needs something like 200g of nose weight to avoid being a tail sitter - and I'm not sure if that includes just the base kit, or adding the Belcher tail and other resin AM 😳  One guy who built it using the Belcher tail said his landing gear collapsed - and that's after he tried hollowing it out as much as possible.  I've got the Scale Aircraft Conversions landing gear, but wonder if that is even strong enough to support the plane.

I have a few different stands, but I just can't see putting that much weight into the nose and having it stay on its legs.  I'm sure that is why later versions of the tail were hollow (in two pieces).  Plus, I like the way it looks buttoned up.  If I was better at diorama's, I'd put it into the water!

• Like 3

• Administrators

Guys,

Call me liberal minded here, but to me, the whole idea of a group build is to actually build.  The first hurdle being to get people to actually build, and the second hurdle is getting people to actually complete their builds.

I’m the WORST of the bunch here.  My Mig-29 is literally a canopy and static discharge RS away from completion….

So, even though we all make noises about scale, etc, I’m MUCH more interested in having people build, mingle, a d above all, have fun with little to no stress. 
All we (as is all of us on this thread have decided), is that it is water themed.  A T-2 Buckeye is cool, as is a fictional submersible, or an ocean liner. 
I’m going to break out the Lukgraph resin, but NOT till my Helldiver is complete, which should be by the end of November, God willing. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

On 11/8/2022 at 8:30 PM, CANicoll said:

Thanks, Chris

I haven't seen that kit for sale-anywhere- for a long time......I didn't know there was a

problem with the tail.. Too fat? What exactly?

7 hours ago, belugawhaleman said:

I haven't seen that kit for sale-anywhere- for a long time......I didn't know there was a

problem with the tail.. Too fat? What exactly?

Apparently, and I had no idea of this until I opened the box I bought (literally three or four years ago!) and found the Belcher Bit resin bits.  Sounds like the tail and fuselage part leading up to the tail are too fat.  Personally, I don't think a little extra girth around the middle is necessarily a bad thing (I represent that remark!), but this would be my first major resin conversion in a long time, so I'm leaning towards doing it.  Have razor saw, will travel...

• Like 2