The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

Revell Me262 B-1a/U-1 Nachtjäger "Red 12"

Bird from NJG 11, May of 1945, because the light blue fuselage caught my eye and looked interesting.    Sadly, in these pics the color looks more gray so i will have to fix that in the photos in the future postings.

Catching this build already underway, but hope it is still of interest.  Building OOB, for better or worse, to help reduce the cost and keep the build fairly simple.  

image.thumb.jpeg.14308f3cab5545bde80058eae3475998.jpeg

Also liked the camo pattern on the wings, compared to the green wings on 'Red 8' which is the other plane represented by this kit.  Plus, the way the plane was painted, it was very easy to paint the wings and elevators separate from the fuselage, making painting that bottled fuselage camo a bit easier.  Per my usual technique, working on a faded paint effect even given the relatively short life these planes actually saw.  I'll claim poor-quality paint late in the war for the effect!

image.thumb.jpeg.8f238110d846acee0345867169ac97db.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.d95f9cdf31456f734e2df34ad5becd97.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.32a3b8cf6500c801749bfc21b903edee.jpeg

With the engine nacelles dry fitted:

image.thumb.jpeg.1ccb6219c4b0a0c198e50114e7b7496c.jpeg 

The cockpit begs for some really nice additional detail, but even OOB, I think the decals worked pretty well.  They would have worked even better had I gotten the main IP decal on a little straighter.  

image.thumb.jpeg.101f0b892542ebc5a3035de009fe3791.jpeg

A BIG disappointment is how bad the decal seatbelts appear in 1/32 scale.  UGH.  I kind of wish I had just left them off.  But in for a penny, in for a pound I guess.  PE seatbelts would have been better, I think.

image.thumb.jpeg.edf0b3ccd70d27addbd69ffc72dbce3e.jpegf

And the Radar operator's station came out better than I expected.

image.thumb.jpeg.23d8fe05762c987fade6ff38e4a71877.jpeg

Next up is to attach the antenna, do a bit of masking (the black under the fuselage will come in after painting the camo) and then look to mask the canopy and get that  painted.

Comments welcomed!

Chris

Edited by CANicoll
Spelling corrections
  • Like 11
  • Thanks 1

Chris

Thanks for posting your Me 262-B1. Neat, clean work and it's right up my alley for sure. Front office details look good and I have to agree about the decal seatbelts. I was thinking that in the future I was going to give decal seatbelts a try and need to build up the thickness for a better 3D effect, I'll try gluing on them with the paper backing still on. 

Paint work and weathering on the wings looks spot on the money.

Will be following for the balance of the journey :popcorn:

• Like 6

Chris,

Just caught on to this.   The camo looks great, and the cockpit looks good, too.  I agree with you on the seatbelt decals.  They really don't look very convincing in 1/48 even.   Sometimes I think it would be worth it to get resin seats that have the belts molded on.

• Like 7

12 hours ago, Peterpools said:

Chris, it just might work and I was also thinking that dampening the backing with white glue would soften it enough to bend the seatbelts as desired. Something I am going to try down the road

Peter,  I want to see how this works out!  I do not do a good job with any seatbelts to be honest.  Even the HGW ones don't seem to come out with way lots of other folks are able to get theirs to look...

• Like 6

33 minutes ago, GazzaS said:

Chris,

Just caught on to this.   The camo looks great, and the cockpit looks good, too.  I agree with you on the seatbelt decals.  They really don't look very convincing in 1/48 even.   Sometimes I think it would be worth it to get resin seats that have the belts molded on.

Gary,  Funny that you mention the resin seats with the belts molded on.  I only did one model with those types of seats and they came out really good, to my eye anyway.  But for some (obstinate?) reason I keep buying and trying the HGW belts.  I'm pretty good at putting them together.  Not so good at the varnishing, etc part...

What are you going to do for the ME109?

• Like 5

Painting update.  I bought the GREX Tritium TG5 specifically for the German-style of aircraft camo, using the .3mm needle (I have both the .3 and .5mm).  I just can't work my Iwata HP-CS to the same degree no matter how much I tried.  This is my second attempt - the first was a 1/48 Eduard ME-109 which was a fun build, really nice.

I did this side first, after practicing on my paint-mule. RLM 74 over a RLM 76 base.  Both colors are MRP acrylic lacquers - I love how quickly they dry to the touch for easy handling.  I sprayed at about 8-10psi.  If I remember correctly, @Peterpools got me started on MRP, despite my store of Model Master and Vallejo.  Thanks Peter!

image.thumb.jpeg.300d4553fdbc2516389f28834a193e97.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.0a561b1b3865bac849b8e6232fa13e7a.jpeg

I was not as successful with the very small mottles, so I need more work/practice on that.  This is pretty much the first time in almost a year that I've done a major paint effort.

Here is the fuselage, laid on top of the wings for an early look.

image.thumb.jpeg.f19dc5e65219b95ba9e549c27cbf13ef.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.68fe5d463a10eacad444ec9b1e7c728c.jpeg

There is a fair bit of overspray but I'm going to try a VERY light sanding to see what kind of effect that will have.  Overall, I'm pretty happy with the effect, but your comments (and suggestions for improvement) are greatly appreciated.  

Chris

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

On 9/14/2022 at 11:04 AM, CANicoll said:

Gary,  Funny that you mention the resin seats with the belts molded on.  I only did one model with those types of seats and they came out really good, to my eye anyway.  But for some (obstinate?) reason I keep buying and trying the HGW belts.  I'm pretty good at putting them together.  Not so good at the varnishing, etc part...

What are you going to do for the ME109?

I have some HGW belts on the way, Chris.  TBH...   mine don't look a lot like the other's do....   I'm just not overly keen on cockpit detailing.  It would be cool if I had some real color references to look at.

• Like 6

7 hours ago, CANicoll said:

Painting update.  I bought the GREX Tritium TG5 specifically for the German-style of aircraft camo, using the .3mm needle (I have both the .3 and .5mm).  I just can't work my Iwata HP-CS to the same degree no matter how much I tried.  This is my second attempt - the first was a 1/48 Eduard ME-109 which was a fun build, really nice.

I did this side first, after practicing on my paint-mule. RLM 74 over a RLM 76 base.  Both colors are MRP acrylic lacquers - I love how quickly they dry to the touch for easy handling.  I sprayed at about 8-10psi.  If I remember correctly, @Peterpools got me started on MRP, despite my store of Model Master and Vallejo.  Thanks Peter!

image.thumb.jpeg.300d4553fdbc2516389f28834a193e97.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.0a561b1b3865bac849b8e6232fa13e7a.jpeg

I was not as successful with the very small mottles, so I need more work/practice on that.  This is pretty much the first time in almost a year that I've done a major paint effort.

Here is the fuselage, laid on top of the wings for an early look.

image.thumb.jpeg.f19dc5e65219b95ba9e549c27cbf13ef.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.68fe5d463a10eacad444ec9b1e7c728c.jpeg

There is a fair bit of overspray but I'm going to try a VERY light sanding to see what kind of effect that will have.  Overall, I'm pretty happy with the effect, but your comments (and suggestions for improvement) are greatly appreciated.  

Chris

Chris

Terrific air brush work - cammo looks so good. I'm also curious as to how the light sanding will affect the over spray (which on my monitor I really can't see). 

For years, my everyday airbrush was the Iwata HP-CS Eclipse with a 3.5 tip and I used it so much, I finally needed to completely rebuild it as I wore it out. These days my most often used weapons: the H&S Infinity CR Plus with a .2 tip and an Infinity CR Plus with a .4 tip.  Clear gloss work I still use my Iwata Revolution with a .5 tip. Why so many, who knows. I think collecting airbrushes was a sub hobby in itself (there are more neatly kept in a draw. At the first sign of trouble, I'm always back to the Eclipse.

Your choice of airbrushes and tip sizes has all the bases covered and couldn't be better. My brother uses GREX airbrushes and loves them. I'm sure the year's layoff is the issue and the rough edges will work themselves out. So many other ingrediencies in the mix, just your time, it will all come back.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Peterpools said:

Chris 

BTW, my next build is going to be the ZM 109 and my first try at Luftwaffe cammo. Hope mine comes out as good as yours. 🤞 

Thank you Peter!  I think I needed to dial back the air pressure even a bit more, but overall, I'm pretty happy with it.  Like you, I've had to move to different airbrushes to try and accomplish what I'm trying to do.  I have an H&S which is supposed to be able to draw lines a fine as a hair.  Hmm - I'm not quite at angel hair pasta thin-ness just yet!

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Bomber_County said:

Chris, stunning camo, I haven’t built Revell for centuries, they always look very reasonable prices and in the right hands, not mine are stunning……..

Phil, Much appreciated!  I've built three Revell kits - best as I can remember.  The old B that JohnB grafted the D nose onto.  Definitely an old kit.  The 'new' P-51D kit is one of my favorites - fits very well, goes together pretty easily, has a terrific OOB cockpit, and no engine to mess with (and gets hidden anyway).  And now this ME-262 which I would say is between the two Mustangs in terms of fit and ease of build.  But I'm having fun with it!  Chris

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• Administrators

Great job so far, Chris. Your work is always a treat to see. 
It’s interesting to read about your airbrush choices. Believe it or not, I still use my ancient Paasche VL as my go to airbrush. No mods, nothing, just straight OOB.  Just like an old pair of shoes, I’m comfortable with it, I guess.

I bought that Greg set a couple years ago, and it still sits in its box, untouched. 😵💫. I oughta take y’all’s advice and move into the 21st century.   But with that Paasche, it makes Gunze rich.  The money I spend on cases of leveling thinner is truly spectacular…

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, BlrwestSiR said:

Having fun is the biggest part of the hobby I'd say, at least for me. 

Your Me262 is looking great. I'd be more than happy with that mottling. 

Carl

THANKS Carl, and I have to agree with you.  Sometimes it is just about the 'doing' and 'completing' and just enjoying the process.  I actually enjoy the research going into a build just as much - finding out about the pilots, especially.  Kind of makes history a bit more real to me.  Chris

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Clunkmeister said:

Great job so far, Chris. Your work is always a treat to see. 
It’s interesting to read about your airbrush choices. Believe it or not, I still use my ancient Paasche VL as my go to airbrush. No mods, nothing, just straight OOB.  Just like an old pair of shoes, I’m comfortable with it, I guess.

I bought that Greg set a couple years ago, and it still sits in its box, untouched. 😵💫. I oughta take y’all’s advice and move into the 21st century.   But with that Paasche, it makes Gunze rich.  The money I spend on cases of leveling thinner is truly spectacular…

Funny you say that.  My Grex sat for a LONG time as well before I took it out of the box.  I wasn't really sure how to clean it properly which was the biggest barrier for me.  Once I overcame that hurdle (thank you YouTube) then it was just spraying paint on my paint mule (an old 1/48 Mustang) to see how it worked. Finally, took the leap of faith and put it on an Eduard 109.  If it makes you happy, then it's a success, right?

• Like 2