The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

Planet Models Yak-23

This is a first for me, having just finished the Hurricane, my next build will be resin, one of my new years resolutions was to build a resin kit. Completely new learning curve and I'm feeling a bit apprehensive, especially as one of my other new years resolution is to share some of my builds on this forum so you will get to see every mistake as well as success !  Anyway, this is the kit, it's not complex and should be ok for a first build. Funky looking aircraft but I enjoy first and second generation jets. I suspect that, as long as the build goes ok, I will be building more resin kits in future, they cover some great subjects not released in IM.  I have glue (BSI Super Gold) arriving on Monday so will be doing prep work over the weekend.

neil

IMG_5986.jpeg

IMG_5987.jpeg

IMG_5988.jpeg

IMG_5992.jpeg

IMG_5990.jpeg

IMG_5991.jpeg

IMG_5989.jpeg

• Like 14

11 minutes ago, Clunkmeister said:

Ooooh, I’m looking forward to this!  We need more resin and short run kit builds around here! 

+1 !

These Planet Models resin kits aren’t too bad, actually. Not Fisher, Silver Wings or Lukgraph levels, but you can get good results with them and a little TLC.

Hubert

• Like 5

It feels like I've been working on this for hours over the past 4 days however I've not got much to show. I am learning a few things - every component I thought I had ready to fit but no, it needs adjusting. I seem to be forever sawing and filing resin over and over again. The mess is unbelievable - resin creates so much dust !!! Thankfully I have a room in the loft that my wife never goes into so I'm getting away with it.  Working with only CA glue is a different experience, I feel like a novice - I've stuck the hairs on the back of my hand to the back of my hand and somehow the cuff of my fleece is stuck to my wrist. I've washed the resin, paint behaves randomly on some areas - I've worked out Halfords rattle can primer is a good base.  There was hardly any detail on the IP and cockpit sides so I've added a throttle handle and used some Airscale PE and decals to add a bit relief. It's not accurate to the real aircraft but that doesn't bother me, as long as it looks like a cockpit I'm a happy boy.  This is what I have so far, it will need more paint touching up but I'm not far from joining the fuselage halves together and there's not much more build work after that according to the instructions. Nothing is finished in the pictures yet (sorry about the small pictures, I selected the wrong size).

thanks

neil   

IMG_6020 Medium.jpeg

IMG_6019 Medium.jpeg

IMG_6022 Medium.jpeg

IMG_6021 Medium.jpeg

• Like 9

• 2 weeks later...

not sure why but going through one of the normal slow patches with my modelling. Anyway, did a few hours work today for the first time in 2 weeks. The amount of time I have put into this kit doesn't reflect what I look at in terms of progress.  I'm definitely learning new things. Working with just CA glue is not as difficult as I expected, I quite like working with resin but there's so much more effort to get pieces ready to stick together compared to IM.  Anyway, I've got this far, should have the cockpit closed up tomorrow and primer on, more filling and sanding no doubt. Working with the vacform canopy has been the scariest part for me, cutting it to shape and masking afterwards was delicate work compared to my normal heavy handed approach !

neil

IMG_6081 2.JPG

IMG_6082.JPG

IMG_6083.JPG

IMG_6084.JPG

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

Hi Neil, that looks very promising, never had a planet model kit, have some Fisher kits and HPH's, but i'm having this health issue regarding using super glue, the fumes that appear when you're bonding parts clog my sinisus , so when working with resin i look like a NBC warrior, wearing high quality facemasks, go figure.

Anyhow, have fun building and finishing this beauty.

Jack

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, towerpower said:

Hi Neil, that looks very promising, never had a planet model kit, have some Fisher kits and HPH's, but i'm having this health issue regarding using super glue, the fumes that appear when you're bonding parts clog my sinisus , so when working with resin i look like a NBC warrior, wearing high quality facemasks, go figure.

Anyhow, have fun building and finishing this beauty.

Jack

You know that, for bonding most resin kits parts, epoxy is very often a better alternative. HPH’s epoxy glue works well on resin kits.

Hubert

• Like 4

my lack of experience with resin is kicking in now I've got to the painting stage. I washed all of the parts down before starting and gave the plane another clean once the wings were on. I'm now struggling with patches appearing in some place as per the photo (you can see where I've rubbed down a section on the flap - ignore that, it's work in progress ) I'm not sure if it's because it's cold (my hobby room is in my loft and it's certainly chilly up there) or because I never got it clean enough. The primer seems to cover much better without an issue so not sure what's going on - the silver is rattle can tamiya - thought I'd avoid the airbrush cleaning and cheat as I had the can handy, maybe that's the mistake.  I'm now eyeing up with pleasure my IM kits but wont give up.

IMG_6102 Medium.jpeg

IMG_6103 Medium.jpeg

• Like 2

I’d venture, without 100 % certainty though, that the combination of cold and rattle can played against you. The problem of rattle cans is controlling the flow, and it spattering cold paint does not help, especially as it gets colder as pressure drops. 
The trick of immersing the can in warm water before using it, and regularly doing it as the can empties, is a good one … Probably worth giving it a try on a paint mule …

Hubert

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, HubertB said:

’d venture, without 100 % certainty though, that the combination of cold and rattle can played against you. The problem of rattle cans is controlling the flow, and it spattering cold paint does not help, especially as it gets colder as pressure drops. 
The trick of immersing the can in warm water before using it, and regularly doing it as the can empties, is a good one … Probably worth giving it a try on a paint mule …

thanks Hubert, will give this a go, I'm not a regular rattle can user.

• Like 2