The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

Trumpeter TBD-1 Devastator

• Administrators
6 hours ago, HubertB said:

Well, I spent ages on the Devastator, and bought about all the documentation you can find (spare the Erection and Maintenance manual, which is rarer than finding a hen's teeth on 4-Thursdays' week)

From your pics, I'd agree that the cockpit looks barren compared to what it could be. But the basics seem to be here. I'm pondering whether I should sit in front the computer and design a "proper" cockpit, to be printed ...

Hubert

I think it’ll surely help the kit. The corrugations look well done, although I’m loathe to call them corrugations.  Hugo Junkers brought us corrugated aluminum, and the Devastator nothing like the Junkers patent. 

• Like 2

• Administrators

Guys I’m sure you’re all aware, but just in case…

The bomb doors on a Devastator are not bomb bay doors, but are bomb aimer doors, used for high altitude level bombing. The bombardier opened the doors on a bomb run so the bombardier could see though a clear windscreen in the belly. He’d then conduct a bomb run using his rudimentary flight instrumentation and his Norden bombsight. 
The Devastator was quite successful in that role.  
Those doors were otherwise always closed.

IF you’re building a torpedo bomber,Trumpeter would have you open the doors, then add the torpedo. If the torpdo was loaded, the doors could not be opened. They’d hit the torpedo.

So, keep them closed, which means minor part surgery. They don’t even come close to fitting, as they’re expecting to be left open.

302E67CA-D7C8-4E7F-B19F-2971C3157977.jpeg

59039363-5117-4ECD-BBA0-725211E73E1F.jpeg

17404457-7AB6-4674-9D2C-F40A524AD007.jpeg

5535691F-185E-44F1-A916-E1E3EE751703.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

• Administrators
On 7/6/2023 at 5:42 PM, KevinM said:

Ernie yes looking good from the outside but are you working on a dogfight scene on that table?😂

That TBD is gonna chew the tail of that D3A.  But I expect if the D3A crew would pull their heads out of their arses, they could pour the coal to her and run away from that TBD.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

• Administrators

A few things to point out here, guys. 

1. Trumpeter correctly depicted the fuselage mounting foot wells.  They were slightly recessed and covered by spring loaded covers. Nicely done!  GWH depicted them open on their 1/48 kits.

2. The torpedo sight is there, but it is very rudimentary on the kit. The entire mechanical drift compensator is MIA, but it would make for a very nice AM 3D printed component.

3. The windscreen framing is WRONG.  Trumpeter chose to depict two internal braces as windshield frames.  No biggie:  sand, polish, and Future, but Trumpeter totally blew it there. Oops!  Sand them off and add them after the windscreen is in place. I WILL be fixing this on this build. I said OOB, but this is a fairly big oops.

In the first pic, you can clearly see the torpedo sight and the internal braces.  Compare that to the pic of the kit canopy

F65E17C6-D3E8-4D01-A900-B755ADDEC274.jpeg

80B80497-F20C-43DC-BDC6-8FA296BBDFDC.jpeg

4962FD27-5749-46CC-B554-900B72D725E5.jpeg

40326D09-B9F2-45DD-95FA-80B17F133159.jpeg

9C527999-2624-452B-976C-1261CDBB2113.jpeg

68C1EEF3-57EE-48BE-B9D3-48B03998482A.jpeg

• Like 6

3 hours ago, Clunkmeister said:

The TBD used a removable crank similar to a 109 to spin the flywheel and start the engine.  Being able to show one in place would be cool, but like the 109, it’s never offered in kits. 

It was with the venerable Monogram kit, IIRC …

Hubert

• Like 5

• Administrators
8 hours ago, HubertB said:

It was with the venerable Monogram kit, IIRC …

Hubert

I love this kit, Hubert. It’s basic, but that’s OK. That just adds to what we can do. The outline seems accurate, yes, the Trumpeter rivet-divots are an issue, but for those who don’t like it, Archer or Quinta will come to the rescue.

The only thing that really needs additions is the cockpit, as it’s basic. 
Trumpeter appears to have fixed a couple of the GWK kit issues. 
The ENTIRE bombardier control system is missing, but it’s invisible without actually having a mirror and penlight.

What’s amazing is how in 1937-38, the TBD was considered the most advanced navy bomber in the world, yet within 3 years, it was woefully obsolete. 
Credit where credit is due, though. It did well at Coral Sea, and in other battles where it also served as a level bomber. 
Many of its issues were issues with the torpedo itself. WW2 US aircraft torpedoes were a joke that were never properly developed.  Even the Avengers used bombs more than torpedoes.  The US torpedoes were a very effective Japanese weapon. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

The Japanese loved to use torpedoes at night if they knew an enemy convoy was in range they would unload 100/150 torpedoes hoping for 5% hits if they got more so be it.The delivery was an arc in the direction of the enemy.;)

• Like 3

• Administrators
1 hour ago, KevinM said:

The Japanese loved to use torpedoes at night if they knew an enemy convoy was in range they would unload 100/150 torpedoes hoping for 5% hits if they got more so be it.The delivery was an arc in the direction of the enemy.;)

Yep, and you’d read about how even US submarines, destroyers, and MTB’s would watch their fish thump into the side of their target with no more than a clang. The perfect alert!

The air dropped fish were even better. They had to be dropped at the perfect altitude and airspeed to give the enemy a nice, fat, juicy target, many would fail to run once in the water, others would detonate upon impact with the water, others would veer off course and fail to track, others would run deep and cruise right under their target without even a magnetic detonation. 
The wood box fins on the Midway fish were an ad hoc way to possibly improve accuracy.

So I’m not sure it had anything to do with the aircraft itself. The Brits used slow biplanes through most of the war, with great success. 
The Japanese used a slow, unarmored, fixed gear monoplane with great success as well.  
And they both had decent fish. We didn’t. 

• Like 5

• Administrators
8 hours ago, Peterpools said:

Ernie

It's easy - just keep the non-detail blinders on and stick to what's in the box. Seems to have worked for me for decades. 

Yep. Against my grain it is, but this will be part of an in depth review so yes, it’s 100% OOB.

However, I just HAD to attack that oh-so-wrong windscreen, so what you see here is the Windscreen, Cloudy Edition. I’m up to 8000 grit so far. 

3C9B504A-1006-498B-ABA0-0A0E8421CCD5.jpeg

F7A270E9-E894-4A61-A70D-69E68A8BAA4C.jpeg

• Like 9