Playing in the Sandbox Group Build Sept 1, 2024 - Jn 1, 2025

Soo.... What did you just get???

Dave J

2 hours ago, ScottsGT said:

Forgot to post this over the weekend. But thanks to Carl I got a genuine Paul Fisher folded wing for my Hobby Crap Sea Fury! 
Took some careful and slow carving and shaping of the fuselage since Hobby Crap designed it with the airfoil upside down.  The kit doesn’t even come with clear wing tip lights or landing light.  So I’ve got to shape some out of clear acrylic.  
IMG_0619.thumb.jpeg.7e28ca0a21224b2034ea0075cc313618.jpeg

Glad to hear it'll work out and that it arrived safely.

I remember first hearing about the Fisher correction sets for the Hobbycraft kit at an old hobby shop near me. The guy there said it basically corrected everything in the kit by throwing away just about the entire kit. :lol:

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, BlrwestSiR said:

Glad to hear it'll work out and that it arrived safely.

I remember first hearing about the Fisher correction sets for the Hobbycraft kit at an old hobby shop near me. The guy there said it basically corrected everything in the kit by throwing away just about the entire kit. :lol:

Pretty much, yea.   Prop/spinner is wayyy off, no cockpit to speak of, canopy misshapen.  

Im working on blending the bottom of the wing to the front and rear of the fuselage right now.  I could only get the wing seated so high into the fuselage, and it’s still a bit low at the cowl and the trailing edge.  Oh well, not putting it in any contests.  

FWIW, I cannot believe what people are asking for these kits on eBay.  Collector value or not, it’s no where near a $200 kit. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, BlrwestSiR said:

Scott, for the canopy, maybe try the Squadron vac for the Typhoon. I know folks would buy the Fisher Sea Fury resin  one for the MDC Tiffie so the shape should be close, if not the same. 

Just ordered one. Thanks!  I remembered you mentioned that to me the other day, but I was searching for the Special Hobby Tempest, not Revell Tempest. 

Edit to add….Turning out making the kit landing gear work on the Fisher wing is another ball of wax. LG are too short for the Fisher wing since his was designed to work with his gear or the G Factor for his kit which are beyond impossible to find. But I think I came up with a solution.  
I might have to just start a build thread since these tricks might help someone else some day. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I took the boys to the LHS. They bought some tiny (1/100?) scale tanks. Made my eyes hurt looking at them. 

I picked up some paint for the Andromeda and a couple kits that I had paid for earlier. 

I'm not the biggest Mustang fan (heresy I know) but for $16 I couldn't resist. 

PXL_20230818_182020162.thumb.jpg.c4894336701dd4a04dbdb9b5e18ec4a6.jpg

Supposedly shape wise, it's ok if a bit basic. Not quite the same category as @ScottsGT's Sea Fury. 

Another Spitfire as I don't have an VIII in the stash. 

PXL_20230818_182131901.thumb.jpg.28ee07e0d6c6b52997e596e84edc2b06.jpg

The VIII is a great base kit for other versions. Of the 3 I've built so far, only one is an VIII. The other two were converted into a VII and a XIV. This will probably end up as an FR XIV. 

Sticking with Spitfires, last of the line evolution -wise:

PXL_20230818_184818110.thumb.jpg.c73517203667f95f85ae81c042e0e1e1.jpg

Another good deal at $49. 

Edited by BlrwestSiR
Fix typo
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1