The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

Soo.... What did you just get???

Dave J

Thank you, my brother.                                                                                                                                                                                                                     

Sincerely,                                                                                                                                                                                                                                           Mark

• Like 2

• Administrators

Wheels and Wings hobbies... Were they open back in 2001?

I went to Toronto in 2001, with friends and i went to a hobbystore...Back them I was quite shy, so I went, Iwas marvelous with all the models... (this is prior to the massive use of internet and web shopping)... So I didnt talk with the Owner/employer.. but I was fascinated and I bought a 1:48 hasegawa Ki-84 Skelaton version and the brand new Accurate Miniature 1:48 Il-2 Shturmovik ...

I dont know if it was WheelsWings hobbies or other store, but checking google earth I could bet that was Wings and Wheels

• Like 4

41 minutes ago, Bill_S said:

Wow! I would love to get my hands on a Fisher Skyray, but I fear the asking price may be out of my range.

You don’t risk anything for asking, do you ;) ?

Me, I keep my Precious [Fisher kits] (including the Skyray), in my hooked hands, all fangs glistening in the dark, so beware … 😂

Hubert

• Haha 7

4 hours ago, Fran said:

Wheels and Wings hobbies... Were they open back in 2001?

I went to Toronto in 2001, with friends and i went to a hobbystore...Back them I was quite shy, so I went, Iwas marvelous with all the models... (this is prior to the massive use of internet and web shopping)... So I didnt talk with the Owner/employer.. but I was fascinated and I bought a 1:48 hasegawa Ki-84 Skelaton version and the brand new Accurate Miniature 1:48 Il-2 Shturmovik ...

I dont know if it was WheelsWings hobbies or other store, but checking google earth I could bet that was Wings and Wheels

According to their Facebook page, they've been open for 37 years. They used to be in a different location and moved about a decade ago to their current spot. That's where I found them and have been going since. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, HubertB said:

You don’t risk anything for asking, do you ;) ?

Me, I keep my Precious [Fisher kits] (including the Skyray), in my hooked hands, all fangs glistening in the dark, so beware … 😂

Hubert

Same here !...harv 

24 minutes ago, ScottsGT said:

Y’all need to do Paul a solid favor and build those kits!  
I’ve got three different Fishers, going to try and do one a year or every other year.  

That’s the plan. I have the Cutlass under way … And two of my last 5 builds are Fisher’s …

(That’s 9 left to go ;) )

Hubert

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, ScottsGT said:

Y’all need to do Paul a solid favor and build those kits!  
I’ve got three different Fishers, going to try and do one a year or every other year.  

Same here. 3 full kits in the stash and a pair of conversions. 

• Like 1

Saw this ....cheapo on the Bay ....and bought it . It's mahooosive ....much bigger than the 1/144 one I did last year ....and yes I knew it would be twice the size .....🙃 Got some plans for it later on .

Also you can admire my restoration of a 60 year old family table .....wood working , painting, & elechickening being my life these past 3 months....there is light at the end of the tunnel ...we should be done mostly by September...maybe . Might call it the 'Uge-Boot.....& No flipping railings to annoy me . 

IMG-2150.jpg

No Scribing needed here OberBootsmann...some drilling though 

IMG-2152.jpg

Here is "Baby Boot" from last year. ..

IMG-0901.jpg

Laterz ..PW 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2

On 7/22/2023 at 3:52 AM, BlrwestSiR said:

Anyone interested?

PXL_20230721_195026494.thumb.jpg.083810f80db98bfb7f7564d635641e5b.jpg

The small box on top is an Meteor F8 conversion.

No idea on pricing yet but I'll know soon enough. 

Heya Carl … it might be an idea to cast some masters off those Fisher kits!!! - if only someone had a kit of the P-51B we could do that with as well!

with the original masters gone now, it would be a shame to loose Paul’s creations to history if we can try to salvage something instead?!

Rog :)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Artful69 said:

Heya Carl … it might be an idea to cast some masters off those Fisher kits!!! - if only someone had a kit of the P-51B we could do that with as well!

with the original masters gone now, it would be a shame to loose Paul’s creations to history if we can try to salvage something instead?!

Rog :)

Masters have to be a slight bit larger due to shrinkage.  Great thread over on LSP where Paul chimed in.  In a nutshell, scan original kit, increase size a few percent in software and 3D print a new master. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

First I need to see what price the shop is willing to sell them for. If it's out of my budget, this is all moot.

The thread Scott mentioned is worth the read. Not only does Paul reply but so does Alistair who runs Aerocraft and has a lot of experience in resin casting as well. Both point out the inherent shortcomings and hurdles that would need to be solved. 

Then of course there's the issue of taking someone else's work and basically ripping it off unless some agreement is arranged beforehand. 

Lastly, scanning and moulding is way above my knowledge base. 

• Like 3

Just a quick update on the Wheels and Wings kits. They've started listing them on their website. Prices on more recent plastic kits is okay but older kits and resin ones are looking to be good deals. 

Just missed out on an Iconicair Spiteful that sold for $25 USD but did manage to grab the Eduard re-box of the Hasegawa P-40N for $100 USD. 

Still waiting on what the Fisher ones will cost.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Bill_S said:

I went into my LHS for a small bottle of Tamiya XF-12.

DSCN3173-1.jpg

The question now is: Do I wait for a Quinta set, or preorder Airscale's set?

Peter's (Airscale) set is a lot more than just the IP and side consoles. It's detailing and accurizing a lot of the areas treated with minimal detail by Trumpeter... (and for the record, yes, I helped Peter by providing documentation on the TBD, so I may be a bit biased ;) , but the essence of Airscale's set is still what I describe)

Hubert

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, HubertB said:

Peter's (Airscale) set is a lot more than just the IP and side consoles. It's detailing and accurizing a lot of the areas treated with minimal detail by Trumpeter... (and for the record, yes, I helped Peter by providing documentation on the TBD, so I may be a bit biased ;) , but the essence of Airscale's set is still what I describe)

Hubert

I ordered the Airscale set. Now to keep my eye out for AM decals/stencils. I saw Ernie's rant, and it was well justified!

• Like 2