The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

My other hobby........

ajaycad

I don't know much about drums Dale but you obviously know quality as Sakae have always had a top end reputation. I thought they'd gone bust but looking online after your post I see they've been resurrected. Always good to see companies with that sort of history managing to stay afloat.

• Like 3

On 1/29/2020 at 7:34 AM, GusMac said:

I don't know much about drums Dale but you obviously know quality as Sakae have always had a top end reputation. I thought they'd gone bust but looking online after your post I see they've been resurrected. Always good to see companies with that sort of history managing to stay afloat.

Hi Gus.

I decided to endorse Sakae rather than DW. I had good experience with Yamaha (Sakae) drums in the studio. Now Yamaha has moved production to China they became very different. Korg has become a parent company of Sakae and Korg wishes them to remain hand made, not mass produced, boutique drums.

I moved to Meinl due to learning how amazing Meinl is as a company. Plus Meinl cymbals are lovely. Sadly I am not endorsing Meinl percussion. In fact I am not with a percussion company at all. Not that I need to be.

I have 3 Sakae kits. The 3 ply Trilogy seen above. 10, 12, 14 20". My other Sakaes are a 5 piece Maple Almighty, and a little Pack D kit. Plus various snare drums.

I sold most of my 83 snare drums. I only have about 17 now. Many are still with my student, Taso. 

Taso is playing beautifully now. Taso playing a kit I designed for him.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 9/3/2018 at 7:46 PM, Wingco57 said:

Here's my other hobby.

Apart from investigating aircraft wrecks that came down on Dutch soil I also like to build full size cockpits such as the Handley Page Halifax and Hampden bombers. Halifax pictured. I am also working on a Spitfire instrument panel.

Cheers
Cees

Halifax.jpg

Hi Just spotted this: I have a connection to a downed Lancaster in the Netherlands, more through a family in StAgnes (my old Village in Cornwall) 

A tribute to Molenaarsgraaf.
I know the brothers and family of Flight Sergeant R.G. Watts and I am constantly amazed by their many visits to Molenaarsgraaf to remember. But also to the spirit of those in Molenaarsgraaf to keep such memories preserved and so well tended.
Edited by IainMackayDall
slight alteration to ist line for clarity
  • Like 4

On 9/17/2019 at 9:28 PM, Wumm said:

Well, not my other Hobby, but hers...

My Wife just received her custom acrylic Aquarium sump from Hmahli Marine this afternoon. Complete with inbuilt LED lighting, individual dosing ports, separate Skimmer and Media bays and dual filtration. $900 AUD all up delivered.

IMG_20190918_142605.thumb.jpg.a932ea91e7946a3508167f16ba23ea45.jpg

And of course, it just has to go straight in right now. Looks like I'm cooking dinner tonight.

I'm just glad she doesn't have Horses!

how big of a reef tank does she have?  That is a pricey hobby to

• Like 2

Tank is a 300 litre...

IMG_20200331_163820.thumb.jpg.0384c420f812a9091070a0015e0d85db.jpg

Sump is about 70 or 80 litre from memory. Every fortnight she does a 2/5ths water change that we go get ourselves... This used to be at night as she needed there to be Copepods in the water to feed her Mandarin Dragonets, but she managed to train them onto shrimp and then pellets. I don't miss being on a pontoon at 10pm in the middle of Winter collecting sea water at high tide! 

She was saving for a white 600 litre tank, but that's now on the backburner due to the current financial climate.

Steve

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/4/2020 at 2:29 PM, Vandy1 VX-4 said:

nice purple tang and hammer coral

Thanks Danny,

The Purple is the boss of the tank, very energetic and hard to photograph. Apart from a pair of Blues, we also have a Yellow and a Sailfin (my favourite), which despite being the largest in the tank with the fins extended is quite docile and social.

IMG_20200413_100519.thumb.jpg.bbb6b73547281700ef6e7e566d643413.jpg

We saw many Achilles Tangs on Heron Island last year, quite a strikingly marked fish, but they are notoriously hard to keep and the our tank is probably beyond it's capacity as it is. The Mandarin Dragonets are cool, they do a little mating dance most nights if we're lucky enough to catch it once the lights go off.

IMG_20200413_095828.thumb.jpg.51b15e0ead2fcfd72ae7dd672ab791e1.jpg

We lost the Elegance at the bottom right into the top photo last week. Beck had the UV too bright without realising and it gradually began to bleach, but it was beyond saving as it turned out. As you can see, she loves her Hammers though.

Steve.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Sir Desmond Glazebrook said:

Chemo drummer solo part 3. A conclusion. 

Very cool Sir, love the laid back sound and the old school jazz funk. When I saw your gig I was reminded of better times, no, not pre Covid times, but the time, before I went for my tiny Spanish Island. Here you get lots of boring Latin stuff and sometimes a Rock or Reggae concert and traditional music of the Canaries.
There are not many things I miss here, but good concerts are one of it, being it a small jam session or a big concert, Punk, Alternative, Classic, or whatever. Thanks for reminding me of this in Berlin time. Here I have only my somethousand Vinyls.
Keep on rocking (or jamming) my companero and have fun with the drums.

Cheers Rob

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
On 4/1/2020 at 5:15 AM, Wumm said:

She was saving for a white 600 litre tank, but that's now on the backburner due to the current financial climate.

As all Women are prone to do sometimes, my Wife changed her mind...

And bought a new black Reef Tank instead. We would normally be on holiday this week, on an either Lady Elliott or Lady Musgrave Islands off the Queensland coast; but the money we had put aside for that trip has gone to this project now as we were both forced to use up our holidays through being furloughed earlier this year.

IMG_20200920_120212.thumb.jpg.79af8466b9f97a84fd3fa6f59f75bfa1.jpg

The new tank is still being 'cycled'; getting the ammonia, nitrite and calcium levels stable to accept the marine life. Meanwhile, I came home Friday night to find that here's a smaller tank been put beside it ready to transition the soft Corals that have come out of the old tank. 

IMG_20200920_115952.thumb.jpg.3bebe05450890ae60a952e3e6c66298b.jpg

So yes... There are now 3 separate Fish tanks containing over a thousand litres of salt water sitting in my living room. Everything at Home now is done by pale blue light, to the trickle of a thousand babbling Brooks.

Luckily, this helps to inspire patience and tranquility... 

#happywifehappylife

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

10 hours ago, Wumm said:

As all Women are prone to do sometimes, my Wife changed her mind...

And bought a new black Reef Tank instead. We would normally be on holiday this week, on an either Lady Elliott or Lady Musgrave Islands off the Queensland coast; but the money we had put aside for that trip has gone to this project now as we were both forced to use up our holidays through being furloughed earlier this year.

I have no idea about aquariums, other than I like to watch them and yours - err - your wives look great. It's a nice substitute for a holiday at the seaside. I can tell, because last Sunday I was swimming into the arms of a medusa, which burned like hell. It was one of these days, were I'm always very careful, when there is no wind, no waves and relatively warm summer water. The water seen through the goggles has a distinct look, completely transparent, but with a slight flicker near the surface, like heat on tarmac on these occasions, but there were only tentacles no body of the beast, very hard to see. Now after a week, it doesn't hurt anymore and the swelling went back to normal, so nor harm done, but I can appreciate to survey the fascinating maritime live through a piece of glass and guess looking at it has a perfect relaxing character.

Cheers Rob

• Like 4

On 9/20/2020 at 11:29 PM, DocRob said:

I can tell, because last Sunday I was swimming into the arms of a medusa, which burned like hell. It was one of these days, were I'm always very careful, when there is no wind, no waves and relatively warm summer water.

This is often a problem here too...

Marine Stingers are always an issue on the GBR, especially after the new year starts and usually accompanied by a northern wind. Blue-bottles are bad, Box Jellyfish worse, and the Irukandji often fatal to Humans... The bell of the Irukandji is the size of a thumbnail, with the tentacles trailing a meter behind, so almost invisible. The only effective barrier is full body suit. When north of the Tropic of Capricorn, we wear full suits on the Reef; this has the added benefit that suits are better for the Corals that can be poisoned by the chemicals in sunscreen. It is rare for the deadly Jellies to venture this far south where we live in the Temperate zone, only the Blue-bottles usually get this far south.

Corals can also sting... My Wife got these welts from moving some around in the tank. Often she forgets to put a long sleeve Rashie on if she's just re-arranging things briefly. Some of the Anemonies reach out their tentacles to feed and can brush against neighbouring Corals; this can be enough to harm or kill either.

117847469_10214326615599844_4584986390689669725_o.thumb.jpg.a69402defdabda7a3a9de89d0c3ca391.jpg

Despite the beauty all around, it seems almost everything in the Reef environment can either hurt or kill you. It is the worst feeling when you catch a glimpse of a dark shadow moving behind and underneath you, only to realise it was only a Scuba Diver and not a Shark! Although, this is all made good for the exhilaration of following a Bale of Turtles, and having them do a perfect starburst 'Fighter Break' in front of you.

S

• Like 4

My youngest is absolutely determined to get an aquarium. I've at least steered him away from a marine setup like your wife's. For the time being anyways...

Any suggestions for a first timer? He's 7 so I'm thinking a simple filter on the back of the tank.

I used to have a 400 liter tank with a big Tiger Oscar but that was at least 20 years ago. Not sure how much things have changed. 

Carl

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I would start him off with maybe a bowl or a 20 litre tank, a simple filter and a single Goldfish or Black Moor for starters... To get him to prove his commitment and show that he can keep one fish alive until adding a second later. Try to source reverse osmosis water from an Aquarium store, as it's free of Chlorine / Fluoride or whatever you may have that's added to tap water by the local Municipality.

The Aquarium scene has changed quite a bit in the intervening two decades. The Reef tank has filters, wave-makers, protein skimmer, reactor, automatic dosing of calcium and nutrients, and customised lighting that can be controlled by your computer or phone remotely... All to keep your fish and corals in top condition. We have a shelf in the 'fridge set aside just for tank supplements.

IMG20201004153903.thumb.jpg.b20cdde2193065fafd2f7b2b79dacc4c.jpg

When I come home at dusk, looking through the window in the carport the tank itself is still in moonlight lighting, but the bacterial medium in the sump underneath is being bathed in red light to stimulate growth.

IMG_20201004_163658.thumb.jpg.cb49dec1c017f28f3489219374103686.jpg

It kind of looks like we've had the Police around!

S

• Thanks 1

Love the fish and tanks.  I always thought that few things were as appealing as a salt water tank with a living ecosystem.

I never really had the stability to even consider one before.   

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

The new tank is up and running, with all the little salty life forms settled in and doing well. Thankfully, the old tank has been scrubbed and cleaned and many of the various lights and assemblies are being sold off to New owners. 

IMG20201115095824.thumb.jpg.c8fff51e13bc171ee22830588300e8dd.jpg

My Wife would like to have kept the Hmahli sump but it didn't fit under the new tank unfortunately. Someone has bought it for half of what she paid for it, so she's fairly happy it's going to a new home.

S

• Like 2