The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

Ju 388 L-1

In the mean time I've worked on the landing gear. She's on her legs now! I'll make a detailed post on the work involved on these legs in the near future. For now I just wanted to show how big this thing actually is in comparison to other AC's. It's not a B17, but she still needs a lot of space.

M3KO03z.jpg

wfFORXs.jpg

• Like 1

Attached the vertical and horizontal stabilizer. Almoast forgot the horizontal stabilizer wingtip extensions. It's a subtle but noticable difference from the normal Ju88 stabilizer. Did some work on the remote gun barbette too.

HQar07y.jpg

The engines are now complete with super charger intakes, exhausts and exhaust shroud. These PE pieces are really tricky to get right...

v76VhCx.jpg

uaOcFKR.jpg

wBcwt6J.jpg

Work the continued at the cockpit. Lot's of bits and pieces to build. Sratchbuilding parts is necessary and you'll need to cross check with your reference. John did a good job overall but has made some mistakes in the process designing the conversion. He allready made the corrections in the manual, but since parts were already being cast you have to make the corrections yourself.

Here's the pilots seat. Major construction is straightforward but it gets trickier with adding the supporting frame.

OT3hQLI.jpg

IbRypbZ.jpg

a7KZ6yA.jpg

EqueKQJ.jpg

maXW6i7.jpg

X9hIBrn.jpg

• Like 1

Now I've build most of the sub-assemblies I started to do some dry-fitting. Pieces are hold in place with blu-tack. One thing is certain, you have to paint the sub-assemblies before attaching them to the cockpit. This makes dry-fitting all the more important!

Skkl5gD.jpg

2MrH48V.jpg

Wov4om3.jpg

pWneTDW.jpg

IwluxjV.jpg

That's it for now. Couldn't resist to throw here together one last time.

wonQuwp.jpg

• Like 3

Wouter,

Love what you are doing here...  I had a chance to get inside the Ju 388L, was amazed at how clean (almost new) it looked inside.  Very low time airframe.  The side panels are molded plastic, very much like a Cessna interior.

Junkers_388L_cockpit.jpg

Brian

• Like 3

Wouter,

It was great meeting you on saturday. You really seem to have found a lot of modelling motivation since. Very nice and if the Me-410 is anything to go by this Ju-388 will be a true showstopper.

@Brian,

Welcome to LSM, very nice pic and what a lucky man to be able to get inside that. Any more pics you can post here?

Cheers

Cees

• Like 1

Thanks guys!

Wouter,

Love what you are doing here...  I had a chance to get inside the Ju 388L, was amazed at how clean (almost new) it looked inside.  Very low time airframe.  The side panels are molded plastic, very much like a Cessna interior.

Brian

Wouter,

It was great meeting you on saturday. You really seem to have found a lot of modelling motivation since. Very nice and if the Me-410 is anything to go by this Ju-388 will be a true showstopper.

@Brian,

Welcome to LSM, very nice pic and what a lucky man to be able to get inside that. Any more pics you can post here?

Cheers

Cees

@ Cees: yeah it was good too see the faces behind the forum so to speak, glad we have met!

@Brian: very nice picture indeed. Same question as Cees, if you have some more pictures would you mind sharing them?

• Like 1

Hi guys,

Pretty sure I do have more of the 388L...  I am presently traveling, return tomorrow, so I will have a look and see what I have.  I may have some of the backseat.  It is Kodachrome, so it will require some scanning.  These were taken prior to the digital age...

I also have some of the Ta 152 for Jeroen's reference, will provide those on his thread.

Brian

• Like 3

Lovely work Wouter,

But it looks like a bit of a struggle sometimes. I did have the Ju-88 G-6 conversion, but I ended up selling it as it was just too much resin cutting for me.

Good luck and keep us posted...

S

• Like 1

Wouter,

Here is the aft cockpit, radio/ gunner's station of the Ju 388L-1.  The light gray control box on the right sidewall is an American interphone control panel that was installed for testing at Wright Field in late 1945.  The orange color pieces of tape scattered around the cockpit are English translations (handwritten) on various items.  At the bottom of the image you see the access to the cockpit which is a pressure hatch in the bottom of the fuselage.  As I am sure everybody here knows, the yoke aims the guns in the tail, which are sighted through the periscope.  The bottom radio unit on the left is the FuG 16Z(Y) which I recognize, because I have one like it sitting here in my office... not too sure of the designations of the rest.

I made this one a bit larger so you can make better use of it.

Ju_388L-1_rear_cockpit.jpg

• Like 3

Something I've looked at but haven't been confident enough to tackle. The glasshouse will make or break the finished model. Theres a v nice (albeit 1/48 scale build at FSM; http://cs.finescale.com/fsm/modeling_subjects/f/2/t/134417.aspx?page=1

I still have the Aims Mistel conversion in my partially-built-stack-of-shame. Will watch this with interest.

Best

Doug

• Like 1

Wouter,

Here is the aft cockpit, radio/ gunner's station of the Ju 388L-1.  The light gray control box on the right sidewall is an American interphone control panel that was installed for testing at Wright Field in late 1945.  The orange color pieces of tape scattered around the cockpit are English translations (handwritten) on various items.  At the bottom of the image you see the access to the cockpit which is a pressure hatch in the bottom of the fuselage.  As I am sure everybody here knows, the yoke aims the guns in the tail, which are sighted through the periscope.  The bottom radio unit on the left is the FuG 16Z(Y) which I recognize, because I have one like it sitting here in my office... not too sure of the designations of the rest.

I made this one a bit larger so you can make better use of it.

Brian, 

wow, you made me very happy with that picture! Even in the book from Vernaleken there isn't a clear picture of the right hand side, so this picture is gold for me! If you have more by chance, I would be very thankful if you would share those.

Btw, do you mind if I post this picture in the same WIP thread on LSP? I think it would make a few people very happy!

Thanks again,

Wouter

• Like 1

Hi Wouter...

Feel free to post on LSP, I am glad to help with the interior details.  Since the airplane is completely dismantled the cockpit interior is all I could document, but I may have one more shot of the left sidewall area in the front sear.  I will scan what I have and post.

Keep the progress pics coming, we love it!

Brian

http://www.flightof2photography.com

• Like 1

On the bottom photo English hand painted translations in white: hydraulic pressure is an American gage, the two boxes to the left of the large radio compass display are American radio equipment, the one with the red push buttons is the preset channel selector.

On the top photo directly in front of the pilot (to the left of the control column) is an American radio compass indicator and marker beacon light above it.   The two forward most gages on the pilot's left are interesting, two-in-one manifold pressure and tachometer for each engine.

I wish I had more, this airplane was in a very dark place, and had little room to work with lighting.  It is however kind of a time capsule, as its condition is remarkable and it is also very complete.

Best regards,

Brian

• Like 1

A-MA-ZING pictures Levier.....Thanks a lot !!.....With this incredible documentation only need a picture behind the pilot´s seat...the position of navigator..no pictures in books!! and a front picture of the pilot´s seat

Anyway ,thanks for all Levier...

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Hey, hey, not so fast, this build ain't dead yet. After a year of nursing our baby to toddler I finally have found some time for myself again. And as it goes, I see myself checking out LSP on a more regular basis again. At least just in time to see that Henri Deahne has made props for the Ju388. Well, that's just what I needed (besides time) to get back on the bench. Man, these props are a mile ahead of the ones provided in the kit/conversion.

Anyway, I started building where I left off, the cockpit. Had to dive back in the available reference to see what needed to be done. Luckily for me I was almost at the painting stage when I stopped buidling at the end of 2016. So after some more scratchbuilding and dryfitting I could fire up my airbrush again. Just some regular black basis and RLM66 and I just started to pick out the details.I hope I can keep building on a regular, albeit slow, basis from here on. So, please do expect updates again, but I can't promise one every week ;-).

Cheers, Wouter

O, by the way, just some crappy smartphone pics, since I haven't had time to set up a proper photobooth. Gotta sort out my priorities  

nRVwCzM.jpg?1

h3cW4uc.jpg?1

ilvGx6N.jpg?1

• Like 1