The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

converting the HK Models prototype Lancaster into a Manchester.

Thanks chaps, I do my best.

The forward windows have been fitted, these are selfmade from a CD-cover as are most fuselage windows. They will need some sanding and polishing.

Then some surgery to the turret fairing, i cut out the acorn and fitted the sidepieces.

the acorn had been modified and it looks it was successful, still need to gaps with plastic strip but another problem solved.

cheers

Cees

A9F891F2-A0CF-4666-8BAD-BAD372FCD3CF.jpeg

402FAE3C-1D35-41A5-8D8C-4681B98E9837.jpeg

6AFF3258-108E-4E32-AF3B-4CA913310143.jpeg

7785D18F-2A5E-4A60-8AA9-85A3F8E8D4F0.jpeg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Been some while but the Halifax is the focus of attention at the moment.

But while in London the past few days I also visited the IWM Lambeth and noticed that the Lancaster cockpit held there had the bulletproof glass fitting, I thought it was a Manchester thing. Learning all the time.

Cees

3E71790C-335B-4435-8F3F-9D6B3395FE77.jpeg

41B65F92-F88B-4050-B2BF-891F5D4AD69C.jpeg

• Like 6

Speaking of learning. If it weren't for scale modelling it's highly likely I'd never known of these great planes. Forums like this make the learning all the more enjoyable and thorough. I hope to visit the UK one day and visit some of the museums that house these amazing birds.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Dennis7423 said:

Wow, those photos are incredibly helpful! I will be using those in my build as well. Thanks!

- Dennis S.

Thornton, CO USA

Many thanks indeed for posting those pictures, from me as well, as they've brought to light an error in my turrets too, so although it's too late to fix now on the built models, it'll be corrected on the master-drawings on which future builds will be based.

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

That's coming on really nicely! You could, if you were feeling really keen, have a go at adding the various hydraulic pipes which are visible especially on the outsides of the arch and thence forwards around the forward face of the chordal braces. Very fine single-strand copper wire could do the job nicely. I don't know if Manchester turrets had them, but Wellington turrets of this era had rotatable ventilators in the top corner of the half left and half right (as viewed by the gunner) front window panels. These were to clear cordite-fumes, which otherwise could make the gunner feel pretty unwell in a confined space.

• Like 2

The canopy and turret have received their interior green and black base coat ( what you see from the inside).

the fuselage needs some cleaning up and neatening of the bombbay doors joins then the other windows can be masked in preparation of spraying the camouflage colours.

18840622-5E05-4388-B607-56D60D51813E.jpeg

2ECD1A1B-CDAA-49A8-ABA9-154516C0D432.jpeg

• Like 6

After the completed nose turret was glued  in place, it was time to reconstruct the fairing pieces. The teardropshaped fairing on top was placed first so the length of the sides could be determined and a piece of plastic strip was glued on the top to lengthen them. After trimming and shaping they were glued in place. In service these fitted not always that well, so I had to make them not too nice.

The nose turret looks much better faired in now imho.

1FC73B25-6E7A-41FE-8D02-9E606B074BD8.jpeg

61DA8259-C0C8-459D-94A2-FE9DAE42517E.jpeg

E6EA21E6-11A6-49BF-B1C8-AB6A2F1E0F63.jpeg

62341B0C-2A8E-4BC3-B4FB-059673241FBF.jpeg

6AAE4F5C-A0F7-4D78-B41D-3DC038DDE2A7.jpeg

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

Hi Tom, not yet but I am already thinking how to tackle those. If 3d-printing doesn't work ,  making a wooden master is the next best option and crash mould new nacelles. That way panel lines can be scribed. The 1/48 model I did used Miliput nacelles of which I had to make two identical ones but scribing was out of the question.

Live and learn I think:D

But for now I concentrate on the fuselage with tail only as a project. The basic inside colours of the windows have been sprayed yesterday to get a consistent interior colour and I still need to rescribe some panellines on the nose, and the elevator hinges need to be made. When that is finalized I can start masking for the big paintjob. It would be great if the fuselage and tail are finished. Only then the wings will be next. Another massive project but the devil is in the details.

• Like 4