The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

converting the HK Models prototype Lancaster into a Manchester.

• 2 weeks later...

It's nice to sit back and do some watching now Cees, the pressure I've been under from you pushing me to get it finished :lol:

That undercarriage looks gorgeous. Are you going to put gators on the oleo struts? Not sure if they took them off later in the production run?

• Like 2

Hi Neil,

I almost got burned out from this build but your Halifax magnum opus really refuelled my motivation. As a change to filling craters between the wings and nacelles, I decided to tackle the wheels and the way they are fitted to the undercarriage legs. To avoid the spaying out and cracking of the legs I cut off the overscale mountings. Drilling holes makes it possible to fit the wheels after painting without damage with a horizontal axle just like the real thing. I plan to make the gaiters as they are true to the Manchester. The prototype wheels will be sanded smooth and also reduced in circumference. 

4214FA14-F204-4BAC-833F-63C23231BDCD.jpeg

DF170F0F-8035-4F3B-9DB0-96E0888B8A31.jpeg

0EA8759C-BA6D-4E4E-94F6-38B9869871CF.jpeg

BE2737ED-42B1-48A7-90C1-4F47C831B66F.jpeg

3CCEB0BA-BCED-4634-8E7E-C839FBB7773A.jpeg

0B16F95B-4FEC-4E50-A28A-1DFDA06EF028.jpeg

• Like 8

No it isn’t, just a bit of aanklooien.^_^

Made a start at fabricating the landing lights set up in the leading edge. No detailpics or drawing so will have to do some guesswork based on similar set ups in contemporary RAF aircraft.

And about those gaiters, the drawing and  the undercarriage leg.

Any idea how to make those ridges?

I tried thin metal wire but that was too stiff, leadwire or knicker elastic perhaps? 
Anyone?

35B7AEED-E17C-4DF8-A082-326B4EF2508B.jpeg

98BB2BEF-8CB9-4A07-82DF-88EAC1231F4B.jpeg

16D6D9A3-9F13-49F0-8647-B076A7B8D29E.jpeg

• Like 6

I would suggest possibly some 4 or 7mm corrugated strip that you could have and wrap it around each section . . . .

It has ridges so without having a go myself, the 7mm scale MIGHT look the better of te two ???

Just a thought Cees

• Like 3

In the end I used telephonewire, the ends of which are difficult to get a neat effect but it will have to make do. I gave them a coat of mr surfacer 1000 which evened out things a bit. Not entirely satisfied but that’s life. A coat of black paint will make them look better.

0BDBFED5-0040-4B57-B06A-090E93D872BF.jpeg

75460E3D-AB4D-4020-B57A-57D096731A7A.jpeg

6EA28996-A786-4CAE-94E2-72DCB6E59BBA.jpeg

49059FDB-C640-4D36-964B-AF4600803F7C.jpeg

• Like 7

Sorry Cees, just checked in, back at work this week so it's been a shock to the system coming out of retirement lol!

Great job on those gators, it's quite an important characteristic that separates the Lanc from the Manchester I think...well apart from the obvious no. of engines!

I took the same approach on the Halifax gear in drilling through and using brass tube as an axle. Keep up the great work :)

Cheers

Neil

• Like 2

Not much progress, but I made a representation of the aileron fittings to the aileron. This nicely fill the mounting holes in the aileron itself.

next, massive filling and sanding session coming up.

F5B80B82-867D-4038-907E-B6AD90E98274.jpeg

00E726A6-A775-48F2-B83E-D0A006D3E01E.jpeg

E64F9021-AFD3-4A41-B57F-026AACB2AD3D.jpeg

0849CA65-D097-4670-B90A-A2C291DF9FFF.jpeg

• Like 6

Sorry, but I have to say that I don't want likes by either emoticons or written, I prefer constructive criticism that I can learn from.

If nobody reacts I may save myself time not posting anything:ph34r::wacko:^_^

Sorry Cees

In actual fact I am learning from you by observing your skills.  Such a great project and I don't know how I can contribute except say 'thanks for posting'.  Problem is I feel like I might come off insincere....when that is far from the truth.  By clicking on the 'like' I feel like I am letting you know I am enjoying your updates and following along.  

I do get what you mean though, my big 24th Mossie build on LSP is an enormous amount of work, and sucks the life out of me at times.  Comments really do help spur me along!

Please don't stop posting, I just LOVE your work.  I especially cant wait for you to get back to the Phantom, but this Manchester is something else!  I especially come to LSM at the moment specifically for this thread!

Cheers Anthony

• Like 3

Anthony,I feel exactly the same.  Cees, you take our silence to seriously.  We watch and learn from you. You are very good at your craft and the rest of us, well you know. I hope you continue and let us follow your journey....harv

• Like 2

Cees, can only echo Harvs and Anthony's comments. I'm enjoying sitting back and watching a master do a beautiful job on this. If I could see one aircraft at Telford this year, it would be this. Don't let this modelling malarky burn you out, I know it can do that to us sometimes, we are obsessive with detail by nature. I have sat there for several hours some days pondering on how I am going to make something that is smaller than a fingernail. Now that is a pretty weird thing to do by normal people standards :lol: 

Cheers

Neil

• Like 2

Cees

I dont feel I can comment other than I really enjoy the work you are doing, watching and learning like many others 

I only undertake small simple conversions but your work goes well beyond that so I dont think I am qualified to do so .. .. ..

I am probably only 'average' when it comes to modeling and I feel that I can only add simple suggestions such as for the gaters on the u/c struts.

I am relatively new here so I certainly am not in the position to criticise

Please continue the good work . . . .

Ian

• Like 2

Love what you've done to make the oleo boots.  One of the things that irks me is having to remove the mold seam on springs or other things that don;t look good once you scrape them.

Great stuff!

• Like 2

Cees, as the others said, your conversion and modelling skills are daunting, so I think some guys think they are not qualified to comment. 
I notice you said you use P38 as a filler, or did I dream that, if so is the P38 “to hot” for styrene?

• Like 2

On 6/13/2020 at 1:56 PM, Bomber_County said:

Cees, as the others said, your conversion and modelling skills are daunting, so I think some guys think they are not qualified to comment. 
I notice you said you use P38 as a filler, or did I dream that, if so is the P38 “to hot” for styrene?

P38 is excellent on styrene, no reaction whatsoever and zero shrinkage. It's a joy to sand. The only drawback in my opinion is getting it on neatly, but because it sands well, it's no big deal

• Thanks 1