The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

HO229 Mystery ship

Greetings all. I'm in planning stages for this for Nooga Nationals next year. When Germany bombed Pearl Harbor. This should fit right in. Long range bomber 229 ! It will be some time before I start this ( still need to get to the B25H). But I'm excited about this ! So here is a very simple mock up. Hope you like it and let me know your ideas about this. I still need two German under wing fuel tanks , if anyone can help, let me know......Harv:hsmack:

BCVZBUJ.jpg

UaqeEkk.jpg

• Like 4

Hi Harv, interesting project, but a HO-229 as long range bomber is very 'what if', but hey, why not. The projected capacity was a max payload of 1000 kg, with the extra fuel needed, they woul have to throw peanuts at Pearl Harbour. But 'what if' it was peace and the German pilots just wanted to have a Mai Tai on Hawaii :rofl:.

You could add a fuel nozzle for in air refueling made by a ME-323 Gigant.

Cheers Rob

• Like 3

• 2 months later...

Ok, here is the deal. If you know me, you know I'm a very slow builder. Again, I'm thinking of putting the B-25 on the back burner and start on this because I want it done for the nats next year. I have most I need to build it except for external gas bags. But I want the big ones like on the maritime B110D3. Would anyone have them to trade or sell ? Also toying with a mid air refueling tube. Any ideas ? TIA..........Harv

• Administrators

Harv, I think it’s a great idea, IF you can pull it off in time.  Except for the 2 seat conversion, a straight OOB build would be very doable. I’m not sure I’d be leaving panels off though, as that adds time and complexity. Build it buttoned up except for the open pit and you’ll make it.

Just don’t chase squirrels on this, and you’ll need to start this RIGHT NOW.

Good luck man, Seriously.

• Like 4

Thanks Ern. No, nothing open, just the pit and wheel wells of course. The B 25 is already put back in the box and put away. The Mystery Ship is on the bench. Been looking af the destrucions.....harv

• Like 1

Wow, Harv...  I never expected something like this.

I would think the fuel probe would be very simple, you know, fixed with a aerodynamic fairing.  Placed so the pilot can see it really well:

Dassault_Mirage_2000.jpg

I think if you went with a straight one, someone might confuse it with a pitot tube.

Good luck, bro...  wanna see it come together.

Gaz

• Like 1

Harv

Realistic and the right decision: the Buff needed to be regulated to the back burner, allowing all your building time to be devoted to the HO229 Mystery Ship. I’m with Ernie and closing up the panels will save countless construction hours and help get this build across the line without panic as the Nats draws near.

Keep ‘em comin

Peter

• Like 1