• 2 eggs
  • 2 tablespoons milk
  • 1 cup thinly sliced onions
  • 2 tablespoons minced garlic
  • 2 tablespoons minced shallot
  • 1 cup chicken stock
  • 1 bay leaf
  • 1 teaspoon minced fresh thyme
  1. Cook the bacon and set aside. Reserve grease in the skillet. While the bacon is cooking, season the squirrel with salt and pepper, and set aside.
  2. In a resealable bag, add flour and cornstarch. Whisk together eggs and milk until smooth. Dredge the squirrel in the flour mixture, shake off excess flour, then dip into egg mixture, shaking off excess egg. Dredge again in the flour, and set aside.
  3. Discard all but two tablespoons of bacon fat from the skillet, and bring back to medium-high heat. Cook the squirrel pieces until golden brown, 3 to 4 minutes per side, then set aside.
  4. Turn heat down to medium; add the onions, garlic, and shallot and cook for 3 minutes, until soft. Pour in the chicken stock, and add the bay leaf and minced thyme. Increase heat to medium-high and bring to a simmer.
  5. Add the squirrel, return to a simmer, cover, then turn heat to medium-low. Cook until very tender, about 30 minutes.
  6. Remove the squirrel legs to a serving platter and spoon the sauce over them. Sprinkle with crumbled bacon and serve.
  • Like 5

11 hours ago, JeroenPeters said:

Hi PlasticDoc, Welcome to LSM! 

Invisible to you and many others are the conversations I had behind the scenes with most ex-lsp members and Kevin from LSP. I told everyone the same: Get it of your chest once and let it be. I won't close down any topics or block members without good reason. This topic so far is not getting out of hand. As long as i see more pics of squirrels than jabs, I'm fine with it. Even Kevin got to say his bit. 

Your opinion is well laid out and duly noted.

As you I hope to see the build section flourish and this topic gather dust!

Right on Jeroen!

• Like 3

2 hours ago, JeroenPeters said:

No Andy. You do NOT get to set any record straight on LSM.

If there's a quarrel or a squirrel (in this case) I am the one that sets records straight. 

As i said before: people are allowed to blow of some steam and things were just about to cool down when Kevin posted his side of things.

So I talked to Kevin and our new friends over here and asked everyone to cool down. Now, far into Squirrel season, you think you can come over here to set a record straight. I'm not picking any sides, only setting boundaries to avoid things spiraling out of control like they did on LSP. If you have something to say you can send me a PM.

And now, again, I only want to see squirrels under this post and great builds in the build section!

YES!!!!

• Like 3

55 minutes ago, Ivan Ivanovich said:

Squirrel Legs

Ready in: 1 hour 30 minutes

• 8 strips bacon
  • 16 meaty squirrel legs
  • Salt and pepper, to taste
  • 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 cup cornstarch
  • 2 eggs
  • 2 tablespoons milk
  • 1 cup thinly sliced onions
  • 2 tablespoons minced garlic
  • 2 tablespoons minced shallot
  • 1 cup chicken stock
  • 1 bay leaf
  • 1 teaspoon minced fresh thyme
  1. Cook the bacon and set aside. Reserve grease in the skillet. While the bacon is cooking, season the squirrel with salt and pepper, and set aside.
  2. In a resealable bag, add flour and cornstarch. Whisk together eggs and milk until smooth. Dredge the squirrel in the flour mixture, shake off excess flour, then dip into egg mixture, shaking off excess egg. Dredge again in the flour, and set aside.
  3. Discard all but two tablespoons of bacon fat from the skillet, and bring back to medium-high heat. Cook the squirrel pieces until golden brown, 3 to 4 minutes per side, then set aside.
  4. Turn heat down to medium; add the onions, garlic, and shallot and cook for 3 minutes, until soft. Pour in the chicken stock, and add the bay leaf and minced thyme. Increase heat to medium-high and bring to a simmer.
  5. Add the squirrel, return to a simmer, cover, then turn heat to medium-low. Cook until very tender, about 30 minutes.
  6. Remove the squirrel legs to a serving platter and spoon the sauce over them. Sprinkle with crumbled bacon and serve.

Hey, GRANDPA............. What's for Supper

• Like 3