Playing in the Sandbox Group Build Sept 1, 2024 - Jn 1, 2025

Kitty Hawk F-5F done.

• Administrators

It’s not unexpected. The kit’s engineered for open hoods, and I didn’t plan to close them until Thursday when the fog cleared.  Good news is that the hatchet job will be invisible, bad news is that it looks much cooler with the hoods open.

Life goes on.

yes Ivan, the F-86D will be an “adventure”.  But I’ve seen some incredible builds of that kit, and it can be done.

As for Texas ANG, I’ve yet to find proof in photography that they flew the D. They flew a few bulletnosed Sabres, but I think they had different wings.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Clunkmeister said:

(...) As for Texas ANG, I’ve yet to find proof in photography that they flew the D. They flew a few bulletnosed Sabres, but I think they had different wings.

During 1959, the TEX ANG flew both models - Dog Sabres and Limas. By 1960, the Limas had eventually replaced the D-models.
52-3854 is a true blue F-86D-40-NA. The Limas were invariably carrying 53-XXXX serials.

The kit itself needs very few tweaking. A gem of a kit.
But heads up! Sloppy Hawk's reckless bunch of professional trappers have managed to sneak in some nasty glitches into the assembly and painting guide. Again.../As always...

• Like 3

Damn you Martin, now I have to find this one (the Merc I mean). I had this type of idea for NMF F-105 D at Bitburg. Greater « cool » factor than the same at Phalsbourg with a 4CV ... :D (or you can also imagine an EE Lightning with an Airfix E-type or MG )

Hubert

• Like 4

• Administrators
3 hours ago, Ivan Ivanovich said:

During 1959, the TEX ANG flew both models - Dog Sabres and Limas. By 1960, the Limas had eventually replaced the D-models.
52-3854 is a true blue F-86D-40-NA. The Limas were invariably carrying 53-XXXX serials.

The kit itself needs very few tweaking. A gem of a kit.
But heads up! Sloppy Hawk's reckless bunch of professional trappers have managed to sneak in some nasty glitches into the assembly and painting guide. Again.../As always...

I’m going to use Eduard’s ejection seat and improve the panel some.  Other than that, maybe wheels. But I’ve seen a few of these built, and they turned out amazing. Skip the engine, do the Hasegawa style fuselage assembly so it’s exact.

I heard the belly pan is a pain and the rocket container is tough to build retracted.

• Like 3

Sorry for the off-topic content. There is a problem with the side intakes that are not suitable for D version.

EDIT: not to cause confusion, I was talking about the cooling scoops on the side of the fuselage. The once provided in the kit were used from the badge 53**** onward so basically at the end. The NACA side intake shape was more common.

• Like 1

YIKES

Ernie, a curveball you say ... no way - sounds like nasty spitter, down low, inside and in the dirt and worse, just can’t help but swinging at it - just looked so good leaving the pitchers hand:hsmack:

Just go for it and do your best- which will be just fine.

Keep ‘em comin

Peter

• Like 1