Jump to content
EVERYTHING UKRAINE GROUP BUILD IS NOW UNDERWAY.

HB Models B-24 Hints, Tweaks, Tips


Clunkmeister
 Share

Recommended Posts

I understand, it is frustrating situation. However, I have hope.  Hobby boss corrected mistakes on their armour in the past.  for instance(challenger), so as Trumpeter with their Wildcat. I think it is good idea to push in some feedback. 

Indeed, China is socialist country, but if they want to increase the profit, they have to change their ways. :)

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, Martinnfb said:

I understand, it is frustrating situation. However, I have hope.  Hobby boss corrected mistakes on their armour in the past.  for instance(challenger), so as Trumpeter with their Wildcat. I think it is good idea to push in some feedback. 

Indeed, China is socialist country, but if they want to increase the profit, they have to change their ways. :)

Thank you so much for this info Martin. i have contected them. As soon as I hear anything I will post it here.

I'm just putting together a new video on the B-24 to set straight some of the issues with the kit. Some people are totally missing the point about the issues. Please don't ask me to name anyone.. I won't.

 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On ‎2‎/‎26‎/‎2019 at 5:17 AM, NigelR32 said:

Thank you so much for this info Martin. i have contected them. As soon as I hear anything I will post it here.

I'm just putting together a new video on the B-24 to set straight some of the issues with the kit. Some people are totally missing the point about the issues. Please don't ask me to name anyone.. I won't.

 

Hi Nige:  I really appreciate the work that you have done for the HK Lancaster.  That being written, I also appreciate the effort put forth on this kit.  Do you have a youtube video on this one as well?  If so, can you post a link?  Thanks

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hey all

  I said I would post pictures of what I did to the cowlings on the B-24j. So here we go.

20190228_120357.thumb.jpg.fd286a05a88b5b44cabec5922ddb997c.jpgrear view of back of cowls.

20190228_120313.jpgmain landing gear opening.

20190228_120335.jpgcloser view showing were the landing gear strut mounts to the wing structure.

20190228_120419.jpg

20190228_120436.jpg

20190228_120455.jpgareas that need to be relieved.

20190228_120532.jpg2 views from outer side.

 

20190228_120554.jpgany questions please feel free to ask.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Whoops I almost forgot.

The main landing gear even with the brass inserts have a weak point. Check out the pics and you will see what I mean.

20190228_123745.jpgstarboard main landing gear leg.

20190228_125019.jpgthe area highlighted is the weak point. I my have to add a gusset even though it's not prototypical.

20190228_123850.jpg

20190228_123828.jpg

20190228_123922.jpgthese last three views show were the leg mounts to the wing structure. So let me know what you think.

Thanks Ron G 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/14/2019 at 3:52 PM, 1to1scale said:

Thank you! I ordered a set of these engines myself.

can you point me to exactly what product this is and where you have ordered it from please?

never heard of Williams Brothers before

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, nmayhew said:

can you point me to exactly what product this is and where you have ordered it from please?

never heard of Williams Brothers before

I found them on Scalemates. Williams Brothers is and old company they made scale models of different P&W and Curtis Wright engines in different scales from I believe 1/48 to 1/6 scale. They are long out of business, but check Scalemates to see if they have any left. They weren't expensive 15 to 20 dollars. There close but do need work to get good P&W r-1830's.

Ron G 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hey Nige 

 Just watched your video on the Aerocraft brass legs for the B-24. Great vid, but one thing make sure when you drill out the tow rings at the bottom of the main gear that you center the drill properly or you will break through and then you will have to fix :hsmack:ouch! 

  Since you live in England can you get in touch with Alister and see if he can make those leg braces out of the same brass he did the main legs out of, I know he would sell them no problem. I would definitely take a set.

These are the holes I'm talking about

Ron G 

 

20190301_140823.jpg

20190301_140805.jpg

20190301_140744.jpg

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

35 minutes ago, CrankyCrafstman said:

Hey Nige 

 Just watched your video on the Aerocraft brass legs for the B-24. Great vid, but one thing make sure when you drill out the tow rings at the bottom of the main gear that you center the drill properly or you will break through and then you will have to fix :hsmack:ouch! 

  Since you live in England can you get in touch with Alister and see if he can make those leg braces out of the same brass he did the main legs out of, I know he would sell them no problem. I would definitely take a set.

Ron G 

I will speak to him tonight Ron. Watch this space. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Administrators
1 hour ago, CrankyCrafstman said:

I found them on Scalemates. Williams Brothers is and old company they made scale models of different P&W and Curtis Wright engines in different scales from I believe 1/48 to 1/6 scale. They are long out of business, but check Scalemates to see if they have any left. They weren't expensive 15 to 20 dollars. There close but do need work to get good P&W r-1830's.

Ron G 

Actually Williams Brothers is one of those Companies that keeps getting resurrected.  They have a line of esoteric aircraft kits as well. 1/72 transports and bombers, such as the Martin B-10, Curtiss C-46, Douglas World Cruiser, etc, and 1/32 Golden Age racers. Gee Bee Model R, Wedell Williams, caudron racer, Laird Super Solution, etc....   Great kits, actually

As of a couple years back, they were producing kits.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, nmayhew said:

can you point me to exactly what product this is and where you have ordered it from please?

never heard of Williams Brothers before

All you need to do Nick is;

Scratch-build an engine of your own...

Buy some RTV silicone and become proficient at mould making...

Buy some 2-part resin and become proficient at resin casting...

And make as many copies as you require.

Because that's what real Modeller's do apparently.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...