Playing in the Sandbox Group Build Sept 1, 2024 - Jn 1, 2025

HB Models B-24 Hints, Tweaks, Tips

Clunkmeister

• Administrators

I thought I’d start this up here where we can all discuss a model I have serious interest in, the HB B-24.

I was looking at Iain’s possible fix over on the other site, and it looks seriously promising as a fix for the wing.  Nigel and a couple others have been contributing there as well, and Im certainly feeling better about a fix for the wing.

This is definitely a kit I’ll be building, so I’m following these discussions with intense interest.

• Like 3

Indeed, it's a huge kit and it looks like the box the B-17 came in. But it has it's quirks as is generally known. The turrets (especially the noseturret which was kissed by Frosty the Snowman) and the wingincidence relative to the fuselage are the most obvious. The engines look toylike and underdetailed. But the bottom line is that we have a basic kit which has it's flaws but could form the basis of a nice model built out of the box or a superdetailed/corrected masterpiece. Ian is already heating up his brain for a wingfix. Let's see what everyone has to say......

• Like 3

I think we should also consider that this kit, although it has errors is extremely good value compared to other kits of a similar size. I can also confirm that Airscale will be launching a cockpit upgrade set very soon for this.

• Like 4

I will be waiting for the D myself....well as I sit here now I say that. I could be swayed by descent turret glass and Witchcraft decals though. My hope is to do Zamperini's Superman. There outta be a heap of info by that time! Got get em boys! 2014-B24-Zamp-1-LR.jpg

• Like 5

Having (copiously) contributed to the thread creep of 1to1scale’s building thread with various comments, and in order not to loose the general information there, I thought it would be good to at least post the link to this thread here, so that the data would not be forgotten ...

Hubert

• Like 4

• Administrators

Hey, CC, yes, that's why I did this last night, to avoid blowing up his build thread.  

They're going to try to move all of the really decent tweaks pics and conversations you guys were having to this thread, and use this as the new spot to post that. I think, given a few builds. we can accumulate a gold mine of tweaks, ideas, and work arounds.

• Like 3

Good thread, I was thinking about summarizing what i have found and changed in the kit. I am absolutely having a blast working on this kit, adding detail, scratch building it all myself. I have more pictures to share, but I use my iPad for almost everything, and I destroyed the screen on it last week, so Im waiting for repair.

• Like 1

I picked the kit up before Christmas but haven't looked too deeply inside. My biggest issue is trying to agree with myself what scheme to do it in. I'm not a fan of bare metal finish, not keen on nose art and don't want to do a US plane. So I started with RAF coastal command thought but  ignoring my list of don't likes/wants, I've thought about blue finish USN, RAF 100 Group, RAF SEA scheme and then Chinese and India schemes. I've never owned a kit that has caused me so much trouble working out what to build. At the moment, I'm back to a coastal command scheme !

• Like 2

Hey all

The Williams brothers engines came in the mail today. 

Here are some pictures showing the difference between the kit parts and the kit cowl with the WB engine. 

The WB's engines are not to scale, that is to say they are the size of the kit engines, which are also not to scale. This is good in that they fit in the cowl perfectly! Well take a look and judge for yourself.

First pic is a comparison of the kit and WB.

20190112_151654.jpg

Second two pics are the kit engines.

20190112_151956.jpg

20190112_151843.jpg

Last two are the kit cowl over the WB's engine.

20190112_151037.jpg

20190112_151155.jpg

They still need alot of work. I'm going to replace the push rod tubes with 1/32" styrene rod. I'm also going to replace the ignition pipe with a 0.040" styrene rod bent to shape and drilled out for the spark plug leads. Then I have to scratch build the propeller pitch regulator. Then I have to figure out how to fit it all into the cowl and nacelles, no big deal...OH wait a minute I have to do this for times...So is the fun of modeling.  :omg::D

Ron G.

• Like 3

Ron, I read your comment about the WB engines not being to scale as a confirmation that they might rather be R-1535 ... The main difference with the R-1830 lies in the size of the crankcase IIRC ...

But at least they fit into the cowlings without too much hassle and look better than the kit’s engines. Congrats for having found a cost-effective solution for improving the engines.

Now for another question : I have read a comment on LSP that the props were actually too small in diameter...

Hubert

• Like 1

On 1/12/2019 at 2:29 PM, CrankyCrafstman said:

Hey all

The Williams brothers engines came in the mail today. 

Here are some pictures showing the difference between the kit parts and the kit cowl with the WB engine. 

The WB's engines are not to scale, that is to say they are the size of the kit engines, which are also not to scale. This is good in that they fit in the cowl perfectly! Well take a look and judge for yourself.

First pic is a comparison of the kit and WB.

20190112_151654.jpg

Second two pics are the kit engines.

20190112_151956.jpg

20190112_151843.jpg

Last two are the kit cowl over the WB's engine.

20190112_151037.jpg

20190112_151155.jpg

They still need alot of work. I'm going to replace the push rod tubes with 1/32" styrene rod. I'm also going to replace the ignition pipe with a 0.040" styrene rod bent to shape and drilled out for the spark plug leads. Then I have to scratch build the propeller pitch regulator. Then I have to figure out how to fit it all into the cowl and nacelles, no big deal...OH wait a minute I have to do this for times...So is the fun of modeling.  :omg::D

Ron G.

Thank you! I ordered a set of these engines myself.

• Like 2

Hey 1to1

Remember you have to fix the upper area of the front gear case, by adding the prop pitch regulator. I'm going to try and do a how to fix it build thread on them. How to do the prop pitch regulator, how to replace the push rod tubes with more accurate tubes, how to make a correct ignition pipe and add the plug wires.

Ron G 

• Like 2