The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

HB Models B-24 Hints, Tweaks, Tips

Clunkmeister

Ok, I'll try and post some photos of the vac form turrets when they arrive; I'm also planning to change the top turret, since the one in the kit doesn't really seem to be either of the types used on the B 24 - although no one seems too bothered about it!!

Blue Skies!

Captain Boogaloo

• Like 1

Found a ( or what looks to be ) very nice 1\32nd scale Clarktor towing tractor from videoaviation.com, an Italian company - they also do a (6) set of USAAF 500lbs bombs, the only ones I've found that come with decals for the nomenclature sprayed on at the factory.

And the eBay vac form turrets have just arrived; very nice, too. Will take some fettling to get them where I'd like them to be but are indeed seamless, good value and a big improvement over the kit ones. Will post some photos just as soon as I figure out how!

Blue Skies!

Captain Boogaloo

• Like 2

Hello Bomber,

Yes, the Emerson is the clearer of the two but both are acceptable. The resin part for the Emerson shouldn't be too tricky to correct ( needs the slots moving out a bit) and the rebates for the gun barrels in the fully up position, but remaking the turret internals to match might be a bit...sporty! If I feel adventurous I may even try to add the joints and nuts\bolts of the various sections of the Emerson - maybe! 

That aside, I'd say these are pretty good for the reasonable cost and if your build was held up waiting for a solution to the turret seams, then they are definitely worth a go. Hope that helps.

Blue Skies!

Captain Boogaloo

• Like 1

• Administrators
On 1/11/2020 at 11:56 AM, Captain Boogaloo said:

Just looked on ebay: Hungarian Aero Decals do the other 1\32 Corsair resin prop - 2\3rds the price of the Eduard version. So reduce the blade length to a scale 11' 7" and Bob's your Aunty's live-in-lover!!

There's your props, Clunk! And two+ choices of wheels, Vector already do the engines ( pricey, but they are rather saucy! And would Eduard actually be any cheaper? They might include engine mounts, though), All the Eduard etch, profimodeller doing stencils and pitot tube ends, the chap on ebay who is doing the vac form\resin turrets (if you can't wait for Ali's versions, worth waiting for if his brass undercarriage is anything to go by!), Eduard B 17 guns or the awesome Gaspatch guns\ ammo belts, master brass gun barrels,MDC  flexible resin ammo feeds or Master Details metal versions, the guy in Auz (happy.lappy on ebay) doing resin radios, or get the Eduard b17 radio room etch, master D's oxygen tank set, Grey matters Norden bomb sight (cheap, but nice), Master Details version or the Robert Mzorozki(?) Gucci version, airscale's instrument panel, 1\32 spark plugs\ ignition harness sets from Anyz models, really nice crew figures ( inside aircraft) from Master Details, or the new Icm usaaf figures (walking)...

Its all out there! and how much aftermarket do we need?!!!!? Maybe it's like paperwork for full size aircraft....when that weighs the same as the airframe, you're ready to fly: when your aftermarket purchases no longer fit in the box with the kit, you're ready to build!I

Definitely want Ian's wing fix, if that comes on the market, though: with you on that!

Blue Skies!

Captain Boogaloo

The HK Lancaster was the only brand new kit I’ve ever jumped into with both feet, and even with that one I ended up bugging every possible AM source until they gave me what I wanted.  Ha!  Now they see me coming and run the other way.

This kit’s been out awhile and I’m ready to start thinking seriously about it. Mike Swinburne and I have been swapping ideas, so...... hmmmm

But, first things first, I’m knee deep in an HPH B-36 build, and a Fisher Skyraider Guppy conversion, so the big Lib will wait a bit, but the Lib has been a favorite of mine my entire life. Something about Consolidated-Vultee birds... B-36, now this...

I look forward to this sinful pleasure. 

• Like 1

Hello Clunk and chaps, 

Had a nice little package delivery today from Videoaviation, an Italian company that is quite new (to me, anyway!) Got some good USAAF 500lb bombs ( with nomenclature decals/factory markings) and a really nice Clarktor towing tractor, both all resin. Just the thing for a diorama ! Worth checking out!

Blue Skies!

Captain Boogaloo

• Thanks 2

18 hours ago, Captain Boogaloo said:

Hello Clunk and chaps, 

Had a nice little package delivery today from Videoaviation, an Italian company that is quite new (to me, anyway!) Got some good USAAF 500lb bombs ( with nomenclature decals/factory markings) and a really nice Clarktor towing tractor, both all resin. Just the thing for a diorama ! Worth checking out!

Blue Skies!

Captain Boogaloo

The Videoaviation stuff is lovely and as you say well worth checking out. I used their Mk 82s on my SLUF and the quality was great, nice resin and no flaws. Delivery from Italy to Scotland was very quick and reasonably priced as well.

• Like 1

Thanks for your reply, Gusmac; isn't it great when you find new sources of aftermarket stuff that are of this kind of quality and the prices AND the postage costs are so reasonable?

Anyhoo, as per Bomber County's request, here are a few pictures....

Sorry about the 'Bombs away, Baby'!....eBay is a dangerous thing!!

Blue Skies!

Captain Boogaloo

IMG_20200130_021842.jpg

IMG_20200130_021702.jpg

IMG_20200130_021640.jpg

IMG_20200130_022020.jpg

IMG_20200130_022252.jpg

IMG_20200130_022307.jpg

IMG_20200130_022210.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I see that Profimodeller has also released a bunch of decal sheets for 1/32 RAF / Coastal Command Liberators. Most are the mk.V, but I see at least one mk.III also (all would be based from the Hobby Boss B-24D kit).

These can be seen on Profimodeller's website at http://www.profimodeller.com/kategorie/1:32-2/.  I'm going to go out on a limb and hope they're doing resin rocket stub wings, Leigh light, and the B-P tail turret to make these fully accurate :)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Draw Decals are listing the Collings Foundation B24 in the current 'Witchcraft ' livery, and unlike the Dragon and his Tail from Kits world have actually bothered to include ALL the sponsors names and details on the airframe, $40 in 1\32 plus carriage: wish they'd do the Dragon, too!

Blue Skies!

Captain Boogaloo

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Does anyone know of any aftermarket decals for standard D-model versions in OD/NG?

I’ve seen plenty for Ploesti-era birds with their sand camouflage done by the aftermarket, but I want to do later standard camo 8AF D-model with the larger squadron letters etc. which add a bit more visual interest. 

Any ideas?

Tom

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • Administrators
On 7/30/2020 at 2:15 AM, ThomasProbert said:

Does anyone know of any aftermarket decals for standard D-model versions in OD/NG?

I’ve seen plenty for Ploesti-era birds with their sand camouflage done by the aftermarket, but I want to do later standard camo 8AF D-model with the larger squadron letters etc. which add a bit more visual interest. 

Any ideas?

Tom

Tom, I've yet to hear of any, but with all the amazing nose art, there's bound to be something, and soon.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...