Jump to content

Trumpeter P-40B Pearl Harbor attack


JohnB
 Share

Recommended Posts

I have decided to build this kit as one of the P-40C's flown by Welch or Taylor during the attack on Pearl. Should be fairly straight forward. This is all I have gotten done so far as I am waiting for Kitlinx to send me the CMK cockpit. <_< Sean at TopNotch Custom Masks is doing the side numbers, etc for me. Should look good! But right now I'm killing time waiting for the CMK set. :wacko:

Welch and Taylor.jpg

1-9-19 001.jpg

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yes, John got the right picture, for some reason there used to be a lot of confusion the aircraft numbers on the side. The large numbers on the side of the plane were there because the young pilots in training would always buzz the girls on the beach, of course, when the pilots were questioned about it, it wasn't them. So the commander had large block letters painted on each aircraft (flight line numbers), so the aircraft doing the buzzing could be identified. Some model companies interpreted the BU No or serial number as the large numbers, which was wrong.  Some models and decals of these planes had 284 (damaged & repaired), 300 (Minor damage & repaired), 308 (Movie "Flyboys"), 317 (confused with Taylor's), 325 (confused with Welch's), 335 (featured in mini documentary), and 337 (heavy damage) as the ID numbers, which were wrong.  

 

I am glad that there is more information out there now and that people are using the correct 155 and 160 for their aircraft.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, 1to1scale said:

Yes, John got the right picture, for some reason there used to be a lot of confusion the aircraft numbers on the side. The large numbers on the side of the plane were there because the young pilots in training would always buzz the girls on the beach, of course, when the pilots were questioned about it, it wasn't them. So the commander had large block letters painted on each aircraft (flight line numbers), so the aircraft doing the buzzing could be identified. Some model companies interpreted the BU No or serial number as the large numbers, which was wrong.  Some models and decals of these planes had 284 (damaged & repaired), 300 (Minor damage & repaired), 308 (Movie "Flyboys"), 317 (confused with Taylor's), 325 (confused with Welch's), 335 (featured in mini documentary), and 337 (heavy damage) as the ID numbers, which were wrong.  

 

I am glad that there is more information out there now and that people are using the correct 155 and 160 for their aircraft.

I agree. I hate to have a model finished only to find out the numbers or whatever are wrong. :)

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hah! I am about to start my one also... I just received the Barracuda Wheels and Master barrel set for it yesterday. Thou I will be doing an AVG scheme on my Hawk.

Have you read Rick's fantastic build of his P-40? If you haven't - 

What are your plans for the depth issue for the cockpit?

 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/10/2019 at 1:27 PM, Dave J said:

Hah! I am about to start my one also... I just received the Barracuda Wheels and Master barrel set for it yesterday. Thou I will be doing an AVG scheme on my Hawk.

Have you read Rick's fantastic build of his P-40? If you haven't - 

What are your plans for the depth issue for the cockpit?

 

That is a great build. He really did a good job of it. I don't plan to take it quite that far but we will see. I now have the CMK cockpit set and it really is nice and should go a long way to making this model look good. :)

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Dave J said:

I have the CMK cockpit also, unfortunately it is still to shallow.  I thinking of adding some plastic card at the bottom

 

Hmmmm...It looks okay to me but I haven't done a mockup dry fit yet. It's not as shallow as the kit cockpit thank God. I'll check it more closely later today. :)

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Administrators

OK, I went to respond to Nigel and instead screwed up his post by vanishing it into thin air.   Yes, it seems like Nigel's post asking about accuracy is gone.     If you see a post missing, it's MY fault. :) 

You may now laugh uproariously and point mockingly at this silly man.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

For a moment, I thought you already had the cockpit done and the fuselage together. You know, building at the speed of John. 

I've got the same kit somewhere so it's great to see your take on it.  

For curiosity's sake, here's a comparison of a couple AM cockpit sets with the stock one. The PE one on the left is from Part, the middle is the CMK and the stock panel is on the right. 

IMG_20190114_193923-L.jpg

Which leave me the question of what did I end up using in my kit?:blink:

Carl

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, BlrwestSiR said:

For a moment, I thought you already had the cockpit done and the fuselage together. You know, building at the speed of John. 

I've got the same kit somewhere so it's great to see your take on it.  

For curiosity's sake, here's a comparison of a couple AM cockpit sets with the stock one. The PE one on the left is from Part, the middle is the CMK and the stock panel is on the right. 

IMG_20190114_193923-L.jpg

Which leave me the question of what did I end up using in my kit?:blink:

Carl

LOL It's evident by the photo how bad the kit parts are. I like the CMK set. It's crisp in detail and looks good so I'll use it. :)

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The CMK cockpit set is finished. Much better than what the kit gives us. It's kind of strange to me that the gunsight on the B/C's was down between the rudder pedals and reflected up onto the armored glass behind the windscreen. Hard to see in the photos but it's there. Straight from my leftover parts stash.

 

1-17 001.jpg

1-17 002.jpg

1-17 3 001.jpg

  • Like 7
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...