The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

What is on your bench right now ? Share a picture :)

Martinnfb

• Administrators
Just now, [CAT]CplSlade said:

Decided to leave those markings off as I can't see them in what photo refs I have and also my wife will never know the difference.

The ones that get me are the misspelled English or German words that are part of the color scheme.  The ones you can see from across the room.  

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Clunkmeister said:

Carl, can you make a pair of glass doors to fit?  I’m gonna look at IKEA as well. Maybe something out there?

There's a different style of doors I found called Glassvik. They have a heavier frame to them but would fit. 

https://www.ikea.com/ca/en/p/glassvik-glass-door-white-clear-glass-50291662/

For my Detolf, the stock doors they come with fit. I just hadn't installed them until last night. 

IMG_20200612_170344.thumb.jpg.9882387fcb912be1db53d1c80b25fe2c.jpg

• Like 6

Have stalled on the CHET build at the moment as the kids' early return from Uni has robbed me of my airbrushing space. So I had a look in the stash and thought I'd start on something different while I waited for a spraybooth so I could work elsewhere in the house. Went for some armour as you can build before you paint although I haven't done any armour since my first ventures back into the hobby about 10 years ago which were brush painted.

Went with the Meng AMX-30B2 with the Aber barrels and Friul tracks.

DSCF4522.thumb.JPG.a89c63571267da30b13df9592d5e405f.JPG

DSCF4523.thumb.JPG.2c0f88a0569ae1ecf45beffa6d330d46.JPG

DSCF4524.thumb.JPG.e750054b61b9c551aa39d8ecae96846a.JPG

DSCF4525.thumb.JPG.e46889e0d910ab7203cd2d1762547601.JPG

Everything went together very well. Just a slight bit of filler around the cupola due to my own error. Didn't pay attention to how it was keyed and ended up with the machine gun pointing off at a 45 degree angle!

Tracks have been burnished and the pads painted with Tamiya rubber black. First time I've used Friuls and I really like the result. They're a little fiddly and boring to get together but you do get into a rhythm and it's almost a Zen-like experience as you build them up.

• Like 6

10 minutes ago, Clunkmeister said:

Carl, where did you buy that last case?  It’s not IKEA, is it?

Ernie, if you mean the wood one, it's two Ikea Detolf shelves on a custom base and top. I used a router to cut the groves for the glass and used 3/4" thick pine. 

Here's the WIP:

• Like 5

10 hours ago, GusMac said:

Went with the Meng AMX-30B2 with the Aber barrels and Friul tracks.

What a mean looking tank. Like all 'late' versions, with dozens of extras and add-ons, it oozes badness. Can't wait to see it painted, brush or AB.

Cheers Rob

• Like 7

I like them both, disc and blob camo, you have to wonder who develops these camos and which drugs were involved in the progress. The weathering looks great, like these two were out there, but obviously that could not be the case for the one with the turret ;).

Cheers Rob 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, GazzaS said:

I'm doing the WNW thing:

Love that Fokker, Gaz :D.

I'm shivering and I have to adjust my eyeballs :icon_eek: after finishing my Siemens Halske engine for my 1/48 SSH. I decided not to use the supplied PE push rods of the Brassin engine and use 0,2mm Nickel rod. Because I couldn't glue these in place, I cut brass tube with the inner diameter of 0,3mm in 1mm length, to align the rods properly, phew. The engines were painted with the fabulous Xtreme metal Colours by AK. The engine is painted in stainless steel and got a hint of transparent blue on the cylinders. For the pushrods of the kit engine I used chrome.

As I will build two SSW's, I will use the kit engine on one of them, I can't bring me up to do this work a second time, this little engine has a total diameter of not even 20mm.

Real deal (tuned Brassin) vs. kit

P1150568.thumb.JPG.6373ccb02f86db6895d6fc4636523381.JPG

When the glue has completely cured, I will paint the brass tubes and spark plugs.

P1150575.thumb.JPG.515d8d666622ccdd84332e77d9b66c33.JPG

P1150576.thumb.JPG.e90ea8ed2e1792b0ef268d86b6b2ac5f.JPG

P1150577.thumb.JPG.6951a586f1fdf9c26d8f83ee908c3530.JPG

Cheers Rob

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Some pin wash close ups of my Leopard 2A4:

hv106j.jpg

NfeX1W.jpg

FurKfR.jpg

7uy6ud.jpg

JnGjYn.jpg

It probably looks a little over the top...  but there will be a fade coat done using an idea I had recently.

Gaz

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, GazzaS said:

Some pin wash close ups of my Leopard 2A4:

I don't think so, to me it looks right. Without the wash, the camo might be appearing too harsh compared with real Leo pics. The wash distracts a little from the hard edge, like in real life.

16 hours ago, Bomber_County said:

Rob, wow and wow........did you the Hubble telescope to do that baby.....exceptional  :respect:

Thanks Phil, they wouldn't lend me the Hubble, so I took my x3 magnifier and some after work Martinis to reset.

2 hours ago, GazzaS said:

One reason I refuse to build less ant 1/32 WWI models.

Wouldn't do 1/72 for sure on WWI subjects, but I liked the SSW and had two in stash and found they were perfect testbeds for Lozenge decals, wood painting and engine detailing, to prepare myself to other WW1 projects in 1/32. After I finished this engine, I felt more confident to start the big AEG in near future.
Sometimes I like to push myself to new limits, to get steeled and confident for future projects, I would have chickened out otherwise.

Cheers Rob

• Like 7