The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

What is on your bench right now ? Share a picture :)

Martinnfb

I haven't had much time at the bench but did get some work done on the Whirlwind.

Wings are together and the nacelles are on. Some small gaps but overall it all fit together nicely with some fettling.

PXL_20221212_203400969.thumb.jpg.430cf96d8fd183dfc873bbb1bac57b6b.jpg

The bench(es) is(are) getting a bit out of hand though. 

This is the one I'm supposed to use for painting. 

PXL_20221212_203343699.thumb.jpg.6a5893f1be686bd1c77f7459a7b6824f.jpg

And this is the one for building on.

PXL_20221212_203430950.thumb.jpg.1d4906520b6dddff2b066fc362fbfefb.jpg

Yeah, not much room for either. 

• Like 6

16 hours ago, BlrwestSiR said:

I haven't had much time at the bench but did get some work done on the Whirlwind.

Wings are together and the nacelles are on. Some small gaps but overall it all fit together nicely with some fettling.

I think, I know this sounds radical………….do not start ANYTHING else until you have completed all of the outstanding or SOD kits………dare bet you say that to the boys……….….……:sofa:………….hey what the hell you only live once……

• Haha 5

2 hours ago, Bomber_County said:

I think, I know this sounds radical………….do not start ANYTHING else until you have completed all of the outstanding or SOD kits………dare bet you say that to the boys……….….……:sofa:………….hey what the hell you only live once……

But that's why we have a stash! :lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

Memo to self..... Don't use Montex mask sets again. Just used the masks for the codes and they left residue on the NMF, then the decals for the Black Panther logo and text disintegrated into a million bits. Not happy!! In retrospect probably should have done the codes before the NMF as well but felt it would be too fiddly that way.

Have used Maketar masks numerous times with no issues, so will be sticking with them in future.

Will posts some pics once I've repaired the damage.

• Like 6
  • Sad 1

20 hours ago, BlrwestSiR said:

PXL_20221212_203400969.thumb.jpg.430cf96d8fd183dfc873bbb1bac57b6b.jpg

The bench(es) is(are) getting a bit out of hand though. 

This is the one I'm supposed to use for painting. 

PXL_20221212_203343699.thumb.jpg.6a5893f1be686bd1c77f7459a7b6824f.jpg

And this is the one for building on.

PXL_20221212_203430950.thumb.jpg.1d4906520b6dddff2b066fc362fbfefb.jpg

Yeah, not much room for either. 

Carl

Yikes, your bench is full with some mighty impressive projects underway. I have a hard time just keeping focused with one build going. How do you do it? 😉

• Like 7

1 hour ago, belugawhaleman said:

Still plodding along on the Tamiya M51 Sherman... Got some paint on it, painted the

canvas cover on the gun mantlet etc. Got to do the road wheels... Sigh. I will use

a stencil when I do  those. A fun kit...I like the early cast hull.

DSCN0914_kindlephoto-80614044.jpg

Paul

Nice progress and looking mighty good

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Peterpools said:

Carl

Yikes, your bench is full with some mighty impressive projects underway. I have a hard time just keeping focused with one build going. How do you do it? 😉

Peter, there's a strong squirrel influence at my workbench. Not the best thing I'll admit. It's good and bad. Sometimes I'll be at a point in a build where I have to wait for something to dry or arrive. Then I'll jump onto another project so I'm using the bench time I have. Other times interest fades a bit and I'll switch things up.

The Falcon is a great example of that. The ZM 109 was getting to me a bit so I knew the Falcon would go together without a thought. Just wasn't expecting the paintwork to be so tedious. Which made me realize my compressor wasn't up to the task. So while waiting for a new one, the Whirlwind hit the bench. And so on... 

Honestly the Whirlwind has been the prefect kit to work on. I know the fit isn't perfect but that means I'm looking at everything a bit closer and tweaking as needed. The paint scheme is simple and I don't have to worry about the heavy pre-shading or what have you. 

• Like 5

2 hours ago, GusMac said:

Memo to self..... Don't use Montex mask sets again. Just used the masks for the codes and they left residue on the NMF, then the decals for the Black Panther logo and text disintegrated into a million bits. Not happy!! In retrospect probably should have done the codes before the NMF as well but felt it would be too fiddly that way.

Have used Maketar masks numerous times with no issues, so will be sticking with them in future.

Will posts some pics once I've repaired the damage.

Sorry to hear that, but I made that memo to myself long time ago with Montex masks and vinyl masks in general. The stuff shrinks, has to much flex, when applying and they don't stick in tight corners. I had no issues with residues though. Vinyl is good for records but not as a masking material. Maketar, 1ManArmy, Eduard and sometimes HGW kabuki mask are very good and trouble free.

Cheers Rob

• Like 7

3 hours ago, belugawhaleman said:

This kit gives an option of a grayish colored vehicle....... Your suppose to mix buff with

medium gray to get the color.....sounds dull as well.

Paul, you could modulate the buff colour, darker at the running gear level to very pale on the top surfaces where the sun had bleached the paint work. ……

• Like 4

1 hour ago, DocRob said:

Sorry to hear that, but I made that memo to myself long time ago with Montex masks and vinyl masks in general. The stuff shrinks, has to much flex, when applying and they don't stick in tight corners. I had no issues with residues though. Vinyl is good for records but not as a masking material. Maketar, 1ManArmy, Eduard and sometimes HGW kabuki mask are very good and trouble free.

Cheers Rob

Hi Rob, got to agree. I'll stick to putting vinyl on the turntable from now on. 😄

I normally use the Maketar kabuki ones as they don't warp anything like the vinyl. I only bit on these as I really fancied the Black Panther scheme but in future I'll be a bit more discerning and avoid anything in vinyl only.

The decals at least seem to sitting down with some Microsol, so I'm hoping I can touch up the breaks with Tamiya LP black and it'll look okay.

• Like 5

Most vinyl masks have a shelf life. Once the vinyl is cut, you have to use them within a few months or they can shrink/warp. Sometimes if you're careful and patient, they can be used. Not always though. I don't mind them as I can reuse them if needed and if my placement isn't 100%, I can pull them up and move them with ease. Of course, they can always stretch a bit at that point if you pull too hard. 

Kabuki ones are great but not always available. Maketar gives you the option of either type when you order them. DN Models only does vinyl so I have to figure out when I'll be using them before they age out and do so accordingly. But DN will do custom stuff so it's a trade off.

As for Montex, they're hit and miss. Inexpensive, varied subjects, but you don't know how old they are when you buy them and the black vinyl they use for the canopy masks are horrid. But I've used them and had decent results. 

Carl

• Like 5

2 hours ago, BlrwestSiR said:

Peter, there's a strong squirrel influence at my workbench. Not the best thing I'll admit. It's good and bad. Sometimes I'll be at a point in a build where I have to wait for something to dry or arrive. Then I'll jump onto another project so I'm using the bench time I have. Other times interest fades a bit and I'll switch things up.

The Falcon is a great example of that. The ZM 109 was getting to me a bit so I knew the Falcon would go together without a thought. Just wasn't expecting the paintwork to be so tedious. Which made me realize my compressor wasn't up to the task. So while waiting for a new one, the Whirlwind hit the bench. And so on... 

Honestly the Whirlwind has been the prefect kit to work on. I know the fit isn't perfect but that means I'm looking at everything a bit closer and tweaking as needed. The paint scheme is simple and I don't have to worry about the heavy pre-shading or what have you. 

Carl

Nice way of effectively using your bench time and easily keeps the mojo up and the juices flowing. I'm just the opposite and don't have the ability to work on more then one project at a time. I tried it when building the Revell Embraer 190 and the Mengo GT-40 - as I went from one to the other and back again, I had a hard time picking up the flow of the build and remembering what I wanted to do next and sometimes, skipped a step without realizing it.  

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Bomber_County said:

Paul, you could modulate the buff colour, darker at the running gear level to very pale on the top surfaces where the sun had bleached the paint work. ……

I chose to do the sand color rather than the gray 1973 color scheme.  Again, I tried to pre shade, but lost the effect. I guess I need

more practice.. My camera makes sands  look a little more yellow than they are... I'll fix the photo if i can. I've added a more representative photo.

DSCN0936_kindlephoto-90889900.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, BlrwestSiR said:

I still think that Whirlwind is one cool-looking aircraft! If Tamiya ever makes

one....you know I'll buy it!

• Like 4

That is a might fine looking ... umm  target?  My knowledge of armor is soo poor, but when I see what you've done and how interesting it looks with all the details then it captures my imagination. 

I hear you on the pre-shading.  I've also seen where I pre-shaded, laced on a base-coat and obliterated the pre-shading, so did the shading again and then hit it again with a lighter spray to get the effect.  Doesn't always work.  Can't wait to see more of your build.

Chris

• Like 3

On 12/13/2022 at 8:58 PM, BlrwestSiR said:

As for Montex, they're hit and miss. Inexpensive, varied subjects, but you don't know how old they are when you buy them and the black vinyl they use for the canopy masks are horrid. But I've used them and had decent results. 

Hi Carl, yes I've used the black vinyl masks on the canopy but I'm starting to regret it now, should have bought the Eduard ones. For one thing, they look undersized to me and I suspect the framing will look too thick when I remove them. Well, you live and learn.

• Like 3
  • Sad 2