Playing in the Sandbox Group Build Sept 1, 2024 - Jn 1, 2025

Communist Russia’s Finest Passenger Service MI-4

I am also considering adding some lighting to the interior, but having difficulty finding a a place to put batteries that I can access later. possibly in the nose or hidden under the engine? 

• Like 3

I was able to start the painting for the interior, I managed to paint the pattern on the cabin carpet, and I’m considering adding a 3rd accent color, also started base color on the seats, still working out what kind of pattern to do on the seats. 

1960’s and 70’s colors were pretty garish, I’m working out whether to use turquoise, purple, or red for accent colors.

56A24DAF-AB8F-4C8C-B3C7-82D475C1BEA1.jpeg

13CA9F0B-9942-4700-8C92-B248B7F92A07.jpeg

A517EECC-04A3-4890-BC4D-38A3C54712BC.jpeg

• Like 5

6 hours ago, GazzaS said:

Looking good!  There are some pubs around here that are still using carpet from the 70's if you need some inspiration.

Gaz

My last house had the full “That 70’s Show” decorating when I moved in.

33E36D51-93AA-4DE0-AEDF-AF04B8D6017C.jpeg

4C987AE9-B543-414C-B8F3-D9136922CBF8.jpeg

90DCD167-1994-45D5-A73F-3C9D054A0F2A.jpeg

7282BA1F-E90B-4BA3-BCA8-63351444EF2E.jpeg

• Like 5

• 3 weeks later...

Small update, will post pictures later. Have most of the engine, engine bay, interior, and cockpit painted. There are not a lot of parts left on the sprues anymore. Hoping to close up the fuselage next week, Paint will hopefully go fast. 

• Like 4

I am finally at the stage where fabrication work is coming to an end. I had to build bulkheads and ducting for the engine bay as it was just all open, I built the full interior (13 seats, 2 tray tables, side walls, new window openings, cabin roof, bulkheads, and of course, vodka bottle holder. 

F5F50385-0C5A-47A5-8115-447B7EFBBBEA.jpeg

Added wiring detail to the very visible IP. I plan to paint the wiring off-white/tan. 

84BB1DDE-F607-4DA1-BCC5-631AD67C8F42.jpeg

After realizing the engine can can barely be seen, I left the detail at just paintwork, the area behind the fan is slightly more visible, so I built firewalls, bulkheads, and some misc “busy” details. I am actually glad, because to fix this would have required a whole other engine sprue, as it is missing a whole row of cylinders between the engine and fan. and the bay was open to the interior and cockpit. I fabricated a firewall to go between the cockpit and fan, and built a whole new forward bulkhead for the passenger cabin, as the one with a door was pure trumpeter fantasy. also, there was a fair amount of panels and ducting behind the fan, but I just built some basic stuff since you cant see any of it.

D0F2DC12-71A2-442B-93AE-E9EF5D570553.jpeg

And of course, what would a Russian passenger hello be without a Vodka rack? This is actually the third design I settled on, it will be a wall hanging “self serve” type for Boris to help himself. It’s still rough, needs to be trimmed and painted. The glasses will hang underneath. The two wall mounted tray tables are laying upside down. I also bought some white decal paper so I can make my own vodka and cognac labels

1F85CEED-0029-45C8-A28F-D743AEB3337E.jpeg

• Like 6

I agree with Hubert. Blue and white fits the Interieur perfectly. Don't forget to include a smashing panel, as the Russians tend to throw their empty Wodka glasses over the shoulder after a toast. Don't go for fancy glasses with a stem. In Russia Wodka was mostly poured into water glasses in mighty doses (Sto Gramm = 0,1l :icon_eek: was a normal dose) I had some encounters with that weird consumption in the eighties :wine:

Your Interieur is looking so good, that it is a shame to close the fuselage. I might suggest a half open heli if I'm allowed to.

Cheers Rob 

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, Martinnfb said:

That looks absolutely fantastic, I would also suggest carpet :0

5a10e70cdcace980de617ecbed605993.image.6

Yes, I actually did paint a pattern and border that simulates airline style carpet, It’s hard to see in photos, but I painted it using three different blue colors, that match the interior. Typically, these civilian transports varied from painted floors, to crude carpet, to fine furnishings for high level Communist officials, I took a little liberty with this one as I was basing it on the premise that it would be some very high level communist party members flying in it.

42416283-9760-4745-B626-3F94C55B1B72.jpeg

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, Martinnfb said:

That looks absolutely fantastic, I would also suggest carpet :0

5a10e70cdcace980de617ecbed605993.image.6

WHERE do you find this stuff?????????????  I look all over for things, can't find what I'm looking for, come here and sure as $**t  Martin has a link, VERY cool, I'd be lost without you guys............... and for the record, this build is really cool, not one I would have thought of, and I'm kind of a helicopter guy....

• Like 1

4 hours ago, DocRob said:

....Don't forget to include a smashing panel, as the Russians tend to throw their empty Wodka glasses over the shoulder after a toast. ...

Cheers Rob 

I thought I had learned that you threw the glass over your shoulder (or in the fireplace) only after you had had a toast to the Tsar’s good health (because it would then be unfit to have other toasts in the same glass). If this is true, then a high level Party official would not have done that - even though he was otherwise relishing in the same luxury and using the same preserved precious furniture used by the Tsar and his family ...

Hubert

• Like 3

2 hours ago, HubertB said:

I thought I had learned that you threw the glass over your shoulder (or in the fireplace) only after you had had a toast to the Tsar’s good health (because it would then be unfit to have other toasts in the same glass). If this is true, then a high level Party official would not have done that - even though he was otherwise relishing in the same luxury and using the same preserved precious furniture used by the Tsar and his family ..

I witnessed on several occasions that Russian functionaries did the same, when a lot of the former mentioned enlightening liquid was consumed. Never had the questionable pleasure to attend such behavior in a helicopter though ;).

Cheers Rob 

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...