The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

Shizuoka disappointment

JohnB

27 minutes ago, smitty44 said:

Well they announced a P-51B, a 109(I think), and AR 234.

They announced those at Telford, 6 months ago. They announced the Fw190 series almost 5 years ago. Yet people getting all bent (mostly elsewhere) because Tamiya were expected to release such-and-such; because they already have a kit of it in a smaller scale, or someone saw a Tamiya rep measuring something, or they saw it spelled out upside down in a photo of Brett Green eating a bowl of Ramen Soup.

• Like 7

• Administrators

I think the hobby’s going to be fine. Maybe the focus is shifting somewhat away from Corsairs, Mustangs, and 190s, but kids are still building.  But they’re building fruity colored jets flown by room broom packing young girls wearing short shorts.  They also build models of goofy looking robotic cartoon stuff.   And they paint it all with Testors primary colors out of the old glass bottles. 

Just like WE used to do, except we built the old Aurora Monsters and other glow in the dark goofiness. We built goofy models of the latest Barris custom creation, and moved up from there. Very few of us were creating award winning Corsairs or F-16s when we were 12.  But we built the heck out of a Jules Verne Nautilus.....

Yep, the hobby is fine. We’re just old. Tigers, Sherman’s, 190s, Corsairs, and Spitfires are great grandpa stuff to the youngsters.  

But 109s will live forever, though.

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, Clunkmeister said:

Just like WE used to do, except we built the old Aurora Monsters and other glow in the dark goofiness.

Ironic... Petrochemicals from prehistoric life, re-imagined and formed into plastic models of prehistoric life. 

We will all go the way of the Dinosaurs. We are all Sein-zum-Tode. Don't wish away life longing for what might never be... Enjoy what you have.

S

• Like 5

• Administrators
2 minutes ago, Wumm said:

Ironic... Petrochemicals from prehistoric life, re-imagined and formed into plastic models of prehistoric life. 

We will all go the way of the Dinosaurs. We are all Sein-zum-Tode. Don't wish away life longing for what might never be... Enjoy what you have.

S

Truer words have never been spoken!

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Clunkmeister said:

I think the hobby’s going to be fine. Maybe the focus is shifting somewhat away from Corsairs, Mustangs, and 190s, but kids are still building.  But they’re building fruity colored jets flown by room broom packing young girls wearing short shorts.  They also build models of goofy looking robotic cartoon stuff.   And they paint it all with Testors primary colors out of the old glass bottles. 

Just like WE used to do, except we built the old Aurora Monsters and other glow in the dark goofiness. We built goofy models of the latest Barris custom creation, and moved up from there. Very few of us were creating award winning Corsairs or F-16s when we were 12.  But we built the heck out of a Jules Verne Nautilus.....

Yep, the hobby is fine. We’re just old. Tigers, Sherman’s, 190s, Corsairs, and Spitfires are great grandpa stuff to the youngsters.  

But 109s will live forever, though.

Whatchu mean WE Ernie?! I never built any of those monster kits, etc. LOL Airplanes, tanks and ships from day 1. Built my first one, a Aurora Me-109 in red plastic, when I was 6. :):)

• Like 6

• Administrators
3 minutes ago, JohnB said:

Whatchu mean WE Ernie?! I never built any of those monster kits, etc. LOL Airplanes, tanks and ships from day 1. Built my first one, a Aurora Me-109 in red plastic, when I was 6. :):)

Hey, I built the Nautilus, though. As in Jules Verne

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Wumm said:

They announced those at Telford, 6 months ago. They announced the Fw190 series almost 5 years ago. Yet people getting all bent (mostly elsewhere) because Tamiya were expected to release such-and-such; because they already have a kit of it in a smaller scale, or someone saw a Tamiya rep measuring something, or they saw it spelled out upside down in a photo of Brett Green eating a bowl of Ramen Soup.

That's so stupid. Everybody knows it's only true if it's Potato with Bacon and Cheddar and half a grilled cheese sandwich alongside.

• Like 4

22 minutes ago, Clunkmeister said:

Hey, I built the Nautilus, though. As in Jules Verne

I built the nuclear version.

And plenty of the radioactive giant insect kits, Star Trek ships, dinosaurs, and even a 10-speed bike. Why I built the bike I do not know. I preferred dirt bikes.

• Like 3

• Administrators
8 minutes ago, [CAT]CplSlade said:

I built the nuclear version.

And plenty of the radioactive giant insect kits, Star Trek ships, dinosaurs, and even a 10-speed bike. Why I built the bike I do not know. I preferred dirt bikes.

LOL.

Me, it was Harleys. And dirt bikes.

• Like 4

No big deal for me. I have enough kits to last another 50 years! Every plane I would want to build is out except for one a Helldiver in plastic, not resin and pe.

Have a good week everyone!

Mike

• Like 5

4 hours ago, JohnB said:

I built the EXACT same kit John, and I was about 8 or so....... memories..... GOOD memories....

• Like 2

5 hours ago, GazzaS said:

I'm sorry...  but no fucking way! 

I wonder if that would get censored on another particular Site?

What a dilemma... It's enough to give you an Ulcer!

• Like 4

• Administrators
1 hour ago, Wumm said:

Nope. Not by me  :)

It doesn’t happen often, and ok, I chuckled. I might even have been guilty of that language once or twice. I usually double up the “k” though  LOL.

My deal is that everyone here gets along great. There’s no sniping, no poking, no prodding, no problem children that need stomping. Nothing.  Everyone chit chats, discusses models, techniques, and life in general, but most important, everyone here is building. And building nice stuff.

I’m the lowest guy on the totem pole here, and was asked to help out simply because I’m in North America and LSM is home page on one of my office computers.  It’s a zero stress job. The odd bit of spam gets reported, but that’s it. 

All I can say is that this last year, my blood pressure has dropped 20 points. You guys make me WANT to build. He’ll, I might even try one of those dodgy looking tank things one of these days.

• Like 7

9 hours ago, Wumm said:

The Hobby is fine. I'm more disappointed with Zoukei Mura... No Old Man blog for 6 months, nothing apparently at Shizuoka, and I'm still waiting to hear back about my pre-ordered Ki-45 kit from February.

Just order it from Sprue Bros.   I have one.  It's a really nice kit and I don't care for WWII Japanese aircraft much.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Clunkmeister said:

I'm the lowest guy on the totem pole here, and was asked to help out simply because I’m in North America and LSM is home page on one of my office computers.  It’s a zero stress job. The odd bit of spam gets reported, but that’s it.

That's kind of what I expected. Staff are meant to set the tone of Websites, and apply the rules consistently, so in the end you reap what you sew. The way some Guys elsewhere carry on about what a chore Moderating is, you'd think they'd go find something else that they're better suited to.

1 hour ago, Vandy1 VX-4 said:

Just order it from Sprue Bros.   I have one.  It's a really nice kit and I don't care for WWII Japanese aircraft much.

That's always an option; it's a little bit more expensive that way, as is the local "Friends Store" here. 

Thanx guys for the tip 

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Wumm said:

I have been censored on TOS for something that drifted into the realm of politics.  Their site, their right.   But they haven't done anything about my occasional outburst of profanity, yet.

• Like 5

4 hours ago, Clunkmeister said:

All I can say is that this last year, my blood pressure has dropped 20 points. You guys make me WANT to build. He’ll, I might even try one of those dodgy looking tank things one of these days.

Glad you're happy, Buddy!

Gaz

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, GazzaS said:

I have been censored on TOS for something that drifted into the realm of politics.

What...? You claim your post was censored? That would never happen Gazza...

IMG_20190513_182520.thumb.jpg.32a2c9770f71f4c18fadf85f645775ae.jpg

Quite frankly, I find that accusation nonsensical!

• Like 4