The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

RSO Radschlepper Ost - Having a Break

Thanks Gaz, it's a fun project, as the kit is superb with only a few tiny fit issues and I still love the tarctoresque look of the RSO. I'm glad now, that I went for the grey finish, which fits better to the vehicle than tri tone.

Cheers Rob 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Bomber_County said:

Stunning Rob, are you going to weather this behemoth?

Thanks Phil, sure do :D, it will be a summer setting, so a lot of dust will be involved, some chipping too.

3 hours ago, Bomber_County said:

You are putting me to shame,  haven’t worked on the Tiger for a couple of weeks albeit with holidays, work and life.......

No need to be ashamed, it's a hobby, grown men perform, so do it your own way and your own tempo. You're supposed to haver fun with  your big cat, that's why we all are doing this. If I remember it right, there are still some month till deadline ;).

Cheers Rob

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Martinnfb said:

lovely detail and very crisp work Rob, but why grey ? 

Muchas Gracias Martin, when I bought the kit, my first thought was tri tone camo. That held until I started to build and had a closer view at the RSO and the Colour scheme prints and found, that the dark grey suits the vehicle better. With a tri tone camo you disguise the contours of an object, which are very specific and interesting. The Panzer Grey has the more desired look to me specially contrasting the planned dust weathering.

Often there are subjective thoughts which lead to certain preferences, esthetical, setting wise or other. If I would build a Tiger for example, I would never chose a North African setting, I simply don't like Tiger's in monochrome Dunkelgelb.

Cheers Rob

• Like 3

The Radschlepper Ost (RSO) is mostly finished now and ready for weathering. I added all the windows after airbrushing the frames with self made masks. The side windows had to be sawed for the half open look in the doors (summer setting). The front window is opened and I cut a mask to fit the swiping area of the wipers. The headlights and the still to be added taillight with license plate were treated with Uschis chrome pigments. The fit of the hood is not perfect and I hope I can camouflage that with some weathering. Final assembly of the RSO proved to be a bit tricky, specially with everything painted and due to many detail parts which tend to break while using pressure for everything to glue in order.

P1150170.thumb.JPG.9d2e43175f1eb138a8ce146a0121b1ff.JPG

P1150171.thumb.JPG.d2c35640287aeeddce47075cc29777c6.JPG

P1150172.thumb.JPG.1164476209e655e4ec33e76b855162a8.JPG

P1150173.thumb.JPG.55eea9b8e36d01568fe7b1656b72f48e.JPG

This pic shows the inside of the door, weathered with my new AK pencils. They are nearly as hard as normal artist pencils and just a little bit more waxy. After applying different green, grey and brown tones, I blended everything with a damp brush. I like the effect and compared to normal washes it is not necessary to seal the surface with gloss varnish prior to using the pencils. A big advantage to me, you minimize risks with too many coats, maybe reacting awkwardly with each other and don't loose detail under too many coats of paint. I will try the AK pencils on glossy varnishes too but think they are better suited for matte finishes.

P1150168.thumb.JPG.f8c41a33e92d719ddb7bb5d8a05f9014.JPG

Cheers Rob

P1150174.JPG

• Like 5

Thanks Phil. No, there will be nothing towed by the RSO. I don't like to build guns and the dimensions of the vehicle without something attached suit my idea for the dio in a better way.
I read, that they were not easy to drive, with their high center of gravity and narrow silhouette. Another problem were the steel wheels which were impossible to get traction with in icy conditions in Russia and were also problematic on tarmac in France. I guess, the max speed of 15 km/h prevented from worse, often.

Cheers Rob 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, DocRob said:

Thanks Phil. No, there will be nothing towed by the RSO. I don't like to build guns and the dimensions of the vehicle without something attached suit my idea for the dio in a better way.
I read, that they were not easy to drive, with their high center of gravity and narrow silhouette. Another problem were the steel wheels which were impossible to get traction with in icy conditions in Russia and were also problematic on tarmac in France. I guess, the max speed of 15 km/h prevented from worse, often.

Cheers Rob 

I bet they would have climbed trees if they had welded grousers on the wheels.....

• Like 3

On 7/23/2019 at 1:28 AM, Mikester said:

Very cool, Rob, really looking good!

Thanks Mike, I will alter that 'good' look to something more dusty :D

4 hours ago, Martinnfb said:

Clean work as always Rob and great presentation as well. Me likey :)

Thanks Martin, I will get rid of the clean look as soon as possible and then there is figure painting, phew, not one of my strong sides.

Cheers Rob

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Finally some little things done, but got distracted with the RSO by lots of surfing in mediocre waves (they rarely are good around here due to the wind), Mountainbiking and a little wooden side project in 1/1 scale, a present for my wife. I'm on my way to build two Adirondack relax chairs for the garden and it has been fun so far.

VXUQ1340.thumb.JPG.c9e376922efdd43c9ece8c368c8392b3.JPG

Back to the RSO, I applied some decals and did some highlighting with the AK pencils. After further highlighting I will add some chips and wear and then it will be dust.

Cheers Rob

P1150176.thumb.JPG.9444cb36a698d0bc9fe5743b48e66307.JPG

• Like 4

58 minutes ago, DocRob said:

Finally some little things done, but got distracted with the RSO by lots of surfing in mediocre waves (they rarely are good around here due to the wind), Mountainbiking and a little wooden side project in 1/1 scale, a present for my wife.

When summer calls, it's hard not to answer...

I have a feeling it will be a little quiet here with the warmer weather above the Equator and so many here at the US Nats. It's good to see some progress Doc.

S

• Like 4

Thanks Wumm, summer here is a little weak this year, spring was way better and that is pretty unusual. That I live on some Islands called the islands of eternal spring is a lie, but good for tourism. The early winter is mostly the best time of the year, with waves and bright and clear nights and definitely less thick clouds. So it's more like pick your action for the day depending the actual conditions, like surfing, if the wave is there hit it :D or other ways, if its cloudy and windy and humidity above 80% hit the bench with a nice cup of tea or whatever.

Cheers Rob  

• Like 3

I started with figure painting and wanted to try something new. Figure painting is a nightmare for me, but I have so many dio ideas for my builds, that I have to improve here.
I started with the black uniform parts and following my theory, that there is no real black to be seen in the real world and decided to use an airbrush for the first time in figure painting.
The black clothes where painted , yeah black, with a conventional brush, to be sure the Colour gets everywhere. Than I masked the face / upper body with tape and sprayed a lighter tone only from above, followed by a brownish black tone from the underside to simulate highlights and shadows. I enhanced the effect with a brush and a very light grey and black for emphasis.
Red insignia where added using a very sharpened weathering pencil. It looks a little grainy and I will reduce that by adding soft brushstrokes with a dampened brush. It doesn't look too bad in reality, but harsh light and macroing at three times the real size is a showstopper. Next will be boots and belts, which are only precolored and then shirts and - I am afraid of this - faces and hair.

Cheers Rob

P1150184.thumb.JPG.def4dc54e47d738e6aaaa4bd2f4cec75.JPGP1150183.thumb.JPG.632ac78387b0335e19074f6614859859.JPGP1150185.thumb.JPG.2b4d22c71639ff630cd1d337e8582d54.JPG

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Martinnfb said:

Ha ha, priceless positions :)

Bravo 6 is just great this way, not hat boring stuff, companies like Alpine are producing mostly. The kneeing guy gives me the opportunity to hide some flaws in face painting, because he is shaving and has some foam in the face. The other guy will be a challenge, because his cast face expression is priceless and fits perfectly to what he is doing.

Cheers Rob

• Like 4

Rob,

I really like the way you've done the uniforms.  It gives a worn look that shows areas that would get the most contact with outside influences.  Can't believe they made a guy pissing.    Good but...    At least he's not pointing off into the distance.

GAz

• Like 4

8 hours ago, GazzaS said:

Can't believe they made a guy pissing.

Hehe, in the dio you will only see his backside ;), but it will be a loss, because his face expression is priceless he's whistling with that sheepish innocent look :rofl:.

Cheers Rob

• Like 3