The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

Please. Rate my Rivets

GazzaS

Hello friends!

As some of you know, I've embarked on a build of a restored P-40 finished in NMF.   I'm going to foil it.  However, I haven't added rivets to a foiled model before.  So, I've made two comparison test panels.   Both have been finished the same way, and the rivets made with the same rivet tool, the Rivet-R using the 1mm spacing wheel.  The difference is that one panel had the rivets made below the foil, and on the other panel, the rivets were made on the foil.  Don't pay attention to the wrinkles.  They are there because the wing surface won't become rigid until cemented to the lower surface.  Also, I made a mistake while trimming a panel, removing a slim wedge of foil and ruining the panel.

One is marked "A" in all of the photos whilst the other is marked "B" in all of the photos.  The lighting and direction of lighting was kept constant, though in the various pictures the wing was rotated.  Please let me know which set of rivets look more realistic to what you'd expect to on a scale model with NMF finish.

Thanks in advance!

YmDFad.jpg

V2q4Jd.jpg

c0NwGq.jpg

tf60UM.jpg

KWy643.jpg

Bqrkpc.jpg

yi7J1I.jpg

Nqi3jZ.jpg

Any further comments you'd care to make will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

Gaz

• Like 5

Not easy to tell from the pictures, I have a slight tendency towards 'A'. Are these the embossed ones? It seems to me, that they enhance the three dimensional appearance of the rivets a little better, wich leads to a little bit more 'made' look than 'B'

Especially with tiny details like rivets, sometimes the most convincing way isn't to reproduce the real thing, but to use a method which looks best considering the scale effect and emphasis of a certain look you like to achieve. 

Cheers Rob

• Like 5

Gaz to my untrained eye, I reckon they both look good, how the light plays on the surface and if it’s convex or concave will always effect the appearance. I’d tend to agree with Rob find the the best method to represent the rivet than being faithful to  the original........my :2c:

• Like 3

My preference is for 'A'...

Although rather than consistent lighting and angles, perhaps showing us a variation in both might give a wider selection of scenarios to able to better decide.

S

• Like 2

HUH...................... and I thought I liked 'B' better... in the light in the pics, they look a little more pronounced, which make them easier for my old 4 eyes to see............ for me they gave more definition, but being a guy who has ever embarked on such a project, my comments may not hold a lot of validity, it is just a layman's observation..... bot in actually look just fine to me.....:blink:

• Like 2

Guys,

Thanks for your efforts and replies.   I took some daylight photos and they don't look much different, though it is foggy outside.   Maybe sunlight would have offered some better contrasts.

My wife offered to let me use her Olympus E-620 which allowed me to take detailed macro shots.  It hadn't been used in a few years, and I guess she was tired of hearing me bemoan my inability to take decent pictures.   It took a couple days between recharging the batteries, work, and moving my daughter into her new place.  Luckily there was a .pdf manual online.

Now, I can peel the foil off and continue improving the plastic surface.

Gaz

• Like 3