The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

Asuka/Tasca Sherman III

As I'm nearing the end of my Jagdpanther build, I thought about what I should try next. I had a couple ideas batting around before settling on this one.

IMG_20190617_130419-L.jpg

There hasn't been too much allied stuff in this GB so I figured I might as well. Plus it comes with D-Day markings in the box. 

IMG_20190617_140809-L.jpg

They're in there somewhere...

• Like 6

I let my boys play hookey from school this morning and go see the celebratory parade for the Toronto Raptors winning the NBA championship. After all, a Toronto sports team winning a title, nevermind championship is almost a once in a lifetime event. 

So when we got back, I started on the Sherman with the lower hull. It's the standard flat pack format Tasca uses. 

IMG_20190617_141816-L.jpg

And builds up without any issues. 

IMG_20190617_142244-L.jpg

IMG_20190617_142550-L.jpg

Next up are the wheels for the boogies. 

IMG_20190617_215308-L.jpg

That's it for the moment. 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Martinnfb said:

Carl, you are. a machine :) , Tasca looks like a nice kit. I was trying to get their Firefly, but no luck.

Martin, I'm having fun at the moment so I'm going with it. 

Tasca are the best Shermans on the market in my opinion. Lucky Model has the Firefly Vc on sale at the moment with an extra 20% on top. I'm tempted to grab another but my favourite is the hybrid 1c. 

• Like 4

11 hours ago, Martinnfb said:

Carl, you are. a machine :) , Tasca looks like a nice kit. I was trying to get their Firefly, but no luck.

4 hours ago, Bomber_County said:

Carl, way to much bench time ( lucky so and so) but seriously love Tasca. Have done the 1C but the V is rare to find, over here anyway 

Martin and Phil, this is a rebox of the Tasca VC kit. 

https://hlj.com/1-35-scale-girls-und-panzer-der-film-sherman-firefly-saunders-university-high-school-plzgp-36

You just need to find more appropriate decals and it's cheaper than the regular boxing at the moment. 

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Bomber_County said:

Thanks Carl, I just find this re-boxing very, how say this, disturbing.........just my honest opinion..........

It might come with free candies :)

Great find Carl and for great price as well ! Thank you.

Cheers

M.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Bomber_County said:

Thanks Carl, I just find this re-boxing very, how say this, disturbing.........just my honest opinion..........

Girls und Panzer is a Japanese anime series. All I know is that instead of the usual collegiate sports like basketball, it's tank on tank combat. How the teams aren't killed is beyond me. :banned:

• Like 4

On 6/20/2019 at 2:39 PM, DocRob said:

I like my olives spherically, and deep diving in my self prepared Martinis :wine:

Cheers Rob

Rob, I'm still learning to like olives so my martinis tend to be neat. 

On 6/20/2019 at 3:16 PM, Bomber_County said:

Good to see you mixing those road wheels.........you’re a machine Carl 

Thanks Phil! I like having the mix of road wheels on my Shermans and it's been something I've done on most of them. 

• Like 3

I got the bogies assembled over the weekend. 

IMG_20190623_224101-L.jpg

I used the fixed plastic spacers instead of the foam ones as the rubber ones let the bogies at the end curl up with too much track tension. 

Once dry, I glued them to the lower hull.

IMG_20190623_232211-L.jpg

• Like 7

Proof that the Jagdpanther did not eat my Sherman for lunch. 

IMG_20190624_220011-L.jpg

I joined the upper and lower hulls together. 

IMG_20190624_231118-L.jpg

In trying out the rubber band tracks, I noticed they can't be glued together so I'm going to use AFV Club tracks as I have them on hand. They're only three parts per link so should only take a year or two....

• Like 6

Fantastic rate of modelling Carl, mine is still boxed atm. I love the Sherman too, would love to crawl around inside one and get a feel for the space inside, or lack of it. I read an excellent book by Ken Tout "By Tank D-Day to VE`Day", very good read.

Cheers

Kev

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Jackster said:

Fantastic rate of modelling Carl, mine is still boxed atm. I love the Sherman too, would love to crawl around inside one and get a feel for the space inside, or lack of it. I read an excellent book by Ken Tout "By Tank D-Day to VE`Day", very good read.

Cheers

Kev

Kev, check this out....

https://www.drivetanks.com

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Jackster said:

Now that has to go on the bucket list!   How cool would that be?     Now I must go and buy some lottery tickets, I'll be right back!

Cheers

Kev

Let me know if you win, I have a list also..:rofl:That is cool eh? Pricey but cool....

• Like 3

On 6/25/2019 at 5:22 PM, Mikester said:

Looking good, nice to see another Sherman in the GB!

I thought we needed something Olive Drab in here. Plus Asuka Sherman's just fall together. 

On 6/26/2019 at 6:00 AM, Jackster said:

Cheers

Kev

Thanks Kev! I used to crawl all over one as a kid. Near my house growing up we had a Lanc on a pedestal and underneath was an Easy Eight Sherman. 

Edited by BlrwestSiR
Typo
  • Like 3

On 6/26/2019 at 9:33 AM, Jeff said:

Kev, check this out....

https://www.drivetanks.com

Cool! 

On 6/26/2019 at 4:26 PM, Jackster said:

Now that has to go on the bucket list!   How cool would that be?     Now I must go and buy some lottery tickets, I'll be right back!

Cheers

Kev

If any of us wins the lottery, we'll have to make a group booking. 

• Like 2

Well, it's Canada Day long weekend. So there's been lots of time to work on tracks...

....joy!

IMG_20190629_222303-L.jpg

These are AFV Club T48 tracks. They're supposed to be press fit and workable after assembly. The first time I tried them they did indeed press fit together. Unfortunately, they would also fall apart as fast as you assembled them.

So this time I did a couple things differently. First I painted them prior to assembly hoping that the paint on the pins would tighten the fit up. Next, if the link was still a bit loose, I would use PVA glue on the pins. I figured that will further tighten the fit but still allow some movement. 

Both techniques made the assembly go together much better. And faster.

IMG_20190629_214523-L.jpg

I got one side done Friday night 

MVIMG_20190629_140958-L.jpg

I finished off the second one last night.

IMG_20190630_095243-L.jpg

So now to start on the small details. 

• Like 3