The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends Aug 31, 2024 ×

Tamiya F-16CJ WIP

Guest DannyVM

Guest DannyVM

I finally getting back to my modelling table. Still working on the KH F-5E but in the mean time, i wanted to start this splendid kit. This one will be a total oob build. No extra's, just the thing's provided in the box will be used and some scratch build items where necessary.

zgqyqjcl.jpg

I'm gonna follow the Tamiya instructions, which are a little unconventional compared with other manufacturers instructions, but nevertheless it will be a very interesting build if i look at the kit inside.This kit can be build and when finished it can be disassembled for transport. Therefore, lot's of part's are just not glued together. I won't go this way, the whole model will be glued, except for the weapons.

Enough talk, time to start this Viper.:whistle:

I'm beginning with the engine, which will be put together but not in detail, the whole thing will be hidden into the fuselage.

ozkPn7Ql.jpg

Also the main wheelbay is getting done, which is part of the air intake. The air intake seams are filled with some putty.

TE68O0Cl.jpg

7rjQ94Rl.jpg

The inside of the exhaust is done with some extra weathering to get a realistic look. Also the exhaust nozzle itself is painted.

gl38Zsxl.jpg

nVSLjJ7l.jpg

5awGkiCl.jpg

Exhaust done, time for the cockpit work, again, this will be totally oob. The kit's cockpit is very nice, fit is great and the pilot is a real juwel, so i will use him to control this model.:D

All the needed cockpit part's

40BCT4fl.jpg

Some dry-fit with some clever engineering to get the part's fit together.

JmmnE1yl.jpg

JcrdSy2l.jpg

After the ejection seat is glued together i dry-fitted all the cockpit part's to see if there was any trimming needed. But all part's fit's perfectly, even the pilot is easily getting in and out without breaking any part's.:speak_cool:

QeITZSkl.jpg

zzTN6dsl.jpg

uxHIZIEl.jpg

hfrYB7Vl.jpg

mdgE9drl.jpg

Now it's time to give this cockpit some color..........

First paint go's onto the ejection seat. This is the end result.

VoG1n0zl.jpg

D5lq0rsl.jpg

y1fDHlJl.jpg

qDZgwgQl.jpg

cnCTUGVl.jpg

Next comes the pilot.

YXrflk7l.jpg

PJWnArSl.jpg

And finally the cockpit itself.

s68Mwo1l.jpg

JlrFwJMl.jpg

Bqkq9b3l.jpg

dO1KDLEl.jpg

qU9nMoQl.jpg

ZT14DQxl.jpg

And after all 3 part's are joined, it look's like this,

fteS8fKl.jpg

tXO1hMOl.jpg

XAZDajwl.jpg

bL8ivt3l.jpg

Nn5btgyl.jpg

hiRUIVtl.jpg

RnRTI93l.jpg

Hope u all like it.

Greetz

Danny

Guest DannyVM
8 hours ago, SapperSix said:

Danny,

Excellent build.  Really looking forward to the rest!!

-Sapper

Thank's Sapper, i hope i can work continuously on this kit with a lot of updates.

7 hours ago, GazzaS said:

Danny, excellent work on pilot and gear.  Gotta say...  he seems quite lifelike.

Gaz

Thank's Gaz, still not the best work i've done, my figure skill's are a little bit rusted.:hsmack:

Guest DannyVM
On 7/1/2019 at 7:42 PM, DocRob said:

Very nice, and an interesting approach to go fully oob :D. Pilot and workplace are looking bueno.

Cheers Rob

Thank's Rob for the kind comment.:thumbsup2:

Guest DannyVM
13 hours ago, BlrwestSiR said:

Really nice paintwork, especially the pilot. I usually skip crew figures as they're a weak spot for me.

Carl

Thank's Carl,:thumbsup2: 

Figure painting is a totally different way of modeling, still with some minor skills you can put a figure on the table that can be stunning. Face's that's an other thing, in my opinion this is the most difficult step to take when painting a figure.

Guest DannyVM
10 hours ago, Bomber_County said:

Stunning Danny, nice to see OOB as I think we all are guilty of wanting more and more AM for no real advantage..........sometimes.........:popcorn:

Thank's Phil:thumbsup2: Indeed AM stuff is often used for nothing, on the other hand, in many cases it's an improvement for most kit's but in this case, no AM is needed so far.

9 hours ago, Clunkmeister said:

Danny, stunning work so far.

I expect that you'd be able to easily get the helmet right, but the rest, well, what can I say? As usual, your work takes my breath away.

Amazing job, sir!

Thank's Ernie:thumbsup2:

Can you tell me what's wrong with the helmet Ernie?? 

• Administrators
21 minutes ago, DannyVM said:

Thank's Phil:thumbsup2: Indeed AM stuff is often used for nothing, on the other hand, in many cases it's an improvement for most kit's but in this case, no AM is needed so far.

Thank's Ernie:thumbsup2:

Can you tell me what's wrong with the helmet Ernie?? 

I have no idea Danny. I assumed nothing at all, because you have a massive collection of them to copy from.  The helmet looks absolutely perfect to me. So does the rest of the pilot. 

I struggle with figures, so to see one so well done is a real treat.

• Like 2

Guest DannyVM
2 hours ago, Clunkmeister said:

I have no idea Danny. I assumed nothing at all, because you have a massive collection of them to copy from.  The helmet looks absolutely perfect to me. So does the rest of the pilot. 

I struggle with figures, so to see one so well done is a real treat.

Ok my friend, there's always a possibility i did something wrong, no matter if i have the perfect reference or not. But indeed, i used my own HGU-55/P as a paint guide for the Viper pilot, with some minor changes to the paint scheme.

If7PD6Ql.jpg

Guest DannyVM
2 hours ago, harv said:

Dam fine work Danny ! can't wait to see more !.........harv :popcorn:

Thank's Harv, my friend:thumbsup2:

Guest DannyVM

Yesterday i did some detailing regarding the F-16 wheelbay's. Not my favourite thing to do, but hey, once starting with the tiny wire and brass tubes there's no stopping.;)

So after some painstaking hours of cutting, bending, cursing and glue the damn things into the wheelbay's i'm satisfied.I have to say this is maybe not 100% realistic and complete, but it will give the wheelbay a more natural look when looking inside.

I started with the front wheelbay, let's say a warming up for things to come.:D

VuhEvqNl.jpg

2rKIYHfl.jpg

Bc8zeCtl.jpg

I used different sort's of lead wire, brass tubes and copper wire.

Next are the main wheelbay's.

XKJltDal.jpg

hjaasXVl.jpg

Tkg6XI7l.jpg

kZoSd5bl.jpg

bN9GBYQl.jpg

Y9Ir6tOl.jpg

Like i said before, wheelbay's are not my favourite part, still i like to give them a more realistic look. When you leave these alone and paint them the way they are it will have an empty look, so, this is how it look's oob.

cVcbztxl.jpg

Thank's for watching.:thumbsup:

Guest DannyVM

Main landing gear detailing. Or why i keep doin it to myself

After the main wheel bay's where done i thought i finished a not so popular part of modeling to me. But, that said, the result compared with the bare naked landing gear leg's is just way better when finished.

Landing gear leg's without details

M52UC7rl.jpg

aKZ0HXVl.jpg

And after some painstaking hours which give me almost a heart attack.:BANGHEAD2:

OZdOIfHl.jpg

hnp81Rxl.jpg

OjG1Vqrl.jpg

Greetz

Danny

Danny...

EXCEPTIONAL  WORK and love the cockpit and the pilot.

before you explained that your helmet collection was the inspirational behind the pilots helmet I did wonder if you used it as a reference..

truly SUPERB work and keep  up the AWESOME workmanship.

Thank you .

:respect:

• Like 3

Guest DannyVM
3 hours ago, MARU 5137 said:

Danny...

EXCEPTIONAL  WORK and love the cockpit and the pilot.

before you explained that your helmet collection was the inspirational behind the pilots helmet I did wonder if you used it as a reference..

truly SUPERB work and keep  up the AWESOME workmanship.

Thank you .

:respect:

Thank's for the nice comment Maru.:thumbsup2:

Regarding the pilot's helmet, i have the same type in my collection, so regarding color etc. i could use it as a reference. Still allot of different HGU-55/p helmets differs in color details so you can go all way's.

Great work on the plumbing :D, Danny and I guess it pays off, because it will be very visible on a F-16 compared to other frames. Love the work you put into the bird and follow with interest, even though I have no love for the F-16.

Cheers Rob

• Like 1

Guest DannyVM
18 minutes ago, DocRob said:

Great work on the plumbing :D, Danny and I guess it pays off, because it will be very visible on a F-16 compared to other frames. Love the work you put into the bird and follow with interest, even though I have no love for the F-16.

Cheers Rob

Thank's Rob for the nice comment mate.:thumbsup2:

Now, regarding the F-16 subject, to be honest, this jet is the ultimate and last design of fighter jet's that give me some interest. My love go's out to Cold War jet's, the F-16 was part of that area so it deserves a place on the shelf, but again, everything that was developed behind the F-16 isn't really worth to mention in my personal opinion.