Playing in the Sandbox Group Build Sept 1, 2024 - Jn 1, 2025

It's 1/24th, it's BIG and no its not a Hellcat

Just a small update. Thanks to Anthony in NZ for supplied pictures.

IMG_0990.JPGthis is a picture of the top engine cover on the Mosquito.

20191117_165104.jpgthese are the kit parts. The Starboard one is the why it comes in the kit. The Port one is after I modified it to look like the one in the photo.

20191117_170947.jpgthis is it after painting it with Vallejo metal colors dull aluminum. It still needs some clean up and weathering, but I ran out of umff, so more later when I have recharged the old body.

Ron G 

• Like 4

• 4 weeks later...

Small update, the metal exhausts for the 1/24 Mosquito are done! And boy are they fantastic. They are from Bob at H&B HOBBIES he's the supplier for Rexx exhausts, which are galvanicly grown metal and are actually scale thickness. Here are some pictures.

20191217_094806.jpghere you can see the two different exhausts the rear double one and the front type. You can see the small plugs that they are grown from and the tree that they are attached to. They copied the kit exhausts so these should fit pretty good.

20191217_094739.jpghere they are shown as they would appear on the engine. Bob said they will be around $40.00 dollars. So if you have a big Mossie and want it to look fantastic go to H&B HOBBIES and start placing your orders.

Ron G 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Hey FME erk

I did not make those if you go back and read the post you will see that they were created by Rexx exhausts. They are galvanicly grown metal, very similar, if not the same process as the old Moskit ones (long out of production). If you go to H&B Hobbies website you can see many different exhausts in scales from 1/72 to 1/32 scale. These will be the first 1/24 scale ones available. I'm hoping that with a little cokesing we from us on the forums they my start a 1/24 scale line. The New F6F-5 Hellcat, the two Typhoons, cardoor and bubble top would be a start.

Ron G 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, FME erk said:

Ron, harv

yeah sorry I did mean what colours did you use to get that effect . . . .

If they are natural then what a great choice of color . . . .

The great thing about the galvanick process is it creates a natural patina that looks like a natural weathered exhaust. NO PAINTING! You just glue them in place (with CA) and voila! Perfect exhausts. I have sets of these for my Tamiya Corsair, Mustang and Spitfire also a few other kits in 1/32 scale. As I said check out his site and you will see what I mean. Go to the menu, look for accessories and Rexx exhausts.

Ron G 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Anthony in NZ said:

Well all this discussion about 24th De Havilland has got my big Mosquito back on the bench!!  Fixing up one more wing issue that I just couldn't leave...

Havent heard from Bob yet, but its a busy time of year

Hey Anthony 

It's about time...lol. I new I could get you to start her back up again. Don't forget to make room on your bench for that other De havilland bird.

Ron G 

• Like 2

Will do Ron, might get you to send it to my mate on Long Is as he is coming out to NZ in March and will have my 1/32 Wild Hare Brit Phantom conversion with him already.  I think he is coming over to fly/display/crew the PBY for Warbirds Over Wanaka and told me to get my butt down there so we can drink Beer and tell stories LOL.  Will email you direct though about that and payment etc.

I have just updated my build thread on my 24th Mosquito over on LSP, you might be interested in a wing issue I had to deal with

Cheers Anthony

• Like 1

(some snippage of quoted text)

On 9/26/2019 at 6:29 PM, CrankyCrafstman said:

Hey all

Ok I'm moving around on this build in order to keep my interest up, and not get burned out. I've started one of the engines. I figured out a way to be able to add the prop at the finish of the build, it will move, but not really spin, so it can be removed for transport. I forgot to take pictures of that, damn I'm getting old!

I'm going to be adding the upper set of spark plug wires. I am using ANYZ Models super detailed spark plugs and wiring. These are from Thomas Anyz from Germany.

First I had to remove the cast on ones, they are wrongly done anyway. I'm adding the pipe, made from some plastic rod, with the 12 plug wires and this will be attached to the right magneto (the right mag. fired the upper plugs and the left mag. fired the lower plugs on both sides.) This you can see on page 22, build step 81 by parts 7G right mag., 8G left mag. and 28G connecting pipe. Airfix almost got this right, they just forgot the pipe to the upper set of plug wires. 28G isn't connected to 7G correctly, but it's close, and it will be covered up by other parts so you won't really see it. Here are some pictures.

20190926_130511.jpgHere's Toms stuff. Those spark plugs are really TINY! They are carpet monster magnets.

20190926_130309.jpgSome wires and the two lower ones are made from two pieces and a wire. I'm using the grey/silver 0.05mm wire for these.

You may be interested in a wheeze I came across doing the "period electrical wiring" on my FN5 turrets. You can get braided silk-covered fine wire, and the silk, being a natural fibre can be dyed with fabric dyes to match the colours found in original wiring looms. I used black, red, a dull light green and brown. The vertical twisted wiring "loom" in the channel was done with this method.

wire1.jpg

• Like 3

Thanks, but I just wanted to pass on the wheeze of using silk-covered wire and hand dyeing it, which probably has applications for many of you. I was going to paint the wires, (as I also had some of the plastic braided nylon as above) but then twigged the silk would take dye. The best bit Is that you can dye yards and yards of it, and then when dry, wind it onto a stick for ongoing use or to let someone else have some. The silk covered wire can also be braided, which is how #1 daughter made the RT leads on the turret. FWIW.

Amazing work on the Mossie. (which is probably what we should be focussing on here?)

• Like 3