Playing in the Sandbox Group Build Sept 1, 2024 - Jn 1, 2025

Korean War - Looking for Mig-15 and F-86F Kit Reccomendation

crazypoet

So one of my long-term goals is to do a Korean War F-86F vs Mig-15 in-flight dio

What I don't have is a good feel for available kits.  The only current/new tooling F-86 variant I've seen in 1/32 is the -D SaberDog, which is not what I want to build. 

Trumpeter and HpH both have Mig-15 kits, but all I'm seeing for the F-86F is the older Hasegawa kit on eBay.  Any others out there that I'm missing?

Recommendations and ideas welcome!

• Like 2

Funny you should ask about Mig-15, I just started working on the Trumpeter kit yesterday. I was preparing for the worst, but was pleasantly surprised. The fit is better than I expected. The exception being that you treat it like a short-run European kit. First thing I did was cut the locating pins off the front to rear fuselage joints, lightly sanded the surfaces flat against the bench on a piece of sandpaper, and glued the front and rear halves together while flat on the bench, working the seam a 1/2 at a time, I ended up with a pretty nice seam, l then trued up the sides with a sanding stick and took the burrs off the mating surfaces. I then went to work on the wings, to my horror, they were not even Mig-15 wings, they were 17 wings! I bought this kit off someone a few years ago, and they must have accidentally swapped a 17 sprue in the box. Luckily, I had another 15 in the stash. And grabbed those wings, then fit them to the body, it takes a little work, but if you sand a few strategic spots, they will fit pretty nice. I also fit a Lonestar resin cockpit and a squadron canopy. So far I have a grand total of 5 hours in it, and I’m ready to paint the cockpit, and glue the fuselage and wings together. All it takes is some basic sanding and a little care in assembly sequence, I have seen some nice examples built. 

I agree that the HpH is a more accurate and detailedkit, however, you can get the Trumpeter kit, a cockpit, a canopy and decals for $60, $80 if you could the second kit I had to crack open. I’ll be posting some pics later. 

As as far as the F-86, the kinetic is the better of the two I think. Hasegawa is old and low on detail.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/KINETIC-1-32-F-86F-30/123931626590?hash=item1cdae68c5e:g:CfgAAOSwNaBdmzIr

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I believe the Italeri kit is the Kinetic kit reboxed. I haven't built either so can't attest to the quality and any short comings. 

1to1, thanks for your take on the Trumpeter MiG. I tried to build one years ago and failed miserably. I might have to take another go at it.

Carl

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Ryan said:

The canopy framing is off if I remember correctly....its more of a Mig 17 frame.

It’s sort of close as a Mig-17PF, shape is ok, but the front windscreen should have 2 horizontal frames rather than 1 center. On the mig-15, the Squadron canopy is the only way to go.

• Like 3

• Administrators

I might be the wrong guy to comment on whick kit is better in my opinion, because I'm one of those guys who's a bit of a masochict when it comes to building stuff. 

Freakishly, I enjoy fighting a very accurate short run or resin kit more than I do assembling a vice building but somewhat inaccurate but easy building mainstream kit.  I'm not a researcher at heart, which puts me at a huge disadvantage. Guys like Martin, Tony, Jeff, Mark, Jeroen and Danny seemingly live for research. For me, I'd rather pet the sweaty stuff than sweat the petty stuff.

• Like 2

HA! - I get that about you!  :D

I kind of split the difference.  I love the short-run, finicky kits, but I also like to take a more mainstream kit and dress it up.

I'm not quite to the point where I'm ready to take on a scratch conversion, but I'm quite happy to fiddle around and fine tune when needed.  I tend to go a bit cross-eyed when trying to verify panel and rivet details, and I've neither the eyesight nor the dexterity to get to the level of finesse I see displayed here on a regular basis... 

But Ima keep tryin'!

• Like 2

Now I'm far away from an Expert, but if you can take the Kinetic/Italeri's somewhat crude detail, it does build into a nice kit. There are also sometimes, some AMS parts available for it, including a cockpit.

I build a Canadian Mk.6 withou adding anything to it, and it looks like a Sabre!

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Sir Desmond Glazebrook said:

I advise you follow your urge and get a MiG 15 and a North American F-86.

IHTH. 

Which protagonist is chasing?

That's a really good question!  Simple scale math means that this will, of necessity, be on two different bases.  My original thought was to re-create the positions and dynamics from a gun-camera scene of an F-86 downing a MiG-15 that I found online.  That said, with two bases (mounted? suspended? dunno yet), I can swap things up a bit and let them play, so to speak.  In practice, when we were flying against Russian pilots, the two were *very* well-matched and it was not ever a foregone conclusion as to who would be stalking whom...

Thanks for asking this - it just shifted my whole context! 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 10/9/2019 at 4:22 PM, crazypoet said:

HA! - I get that about you!  :D

I kind of split the difference.  I love the short-run, finicky kits, but I also like to take a more mainstream kit and dress it up.

I'm not quite to the point where I'm ready to take on a scratch conversion, but I'm quite happy to fiddle around and fine tune when needed.  I tend to go a bit cross-eyed when trying to verify panel and rivet details, and I've neither the eyesight nor the dexterity to get to the level of finesse I see displayed here on a regular basis... 

But Ima keep tryin'!

You could always imagine a « face-to-face » set-up à la Rocky vs Drago (that was Rocky V, wasn’t it ?) poster ...

Hubert

PS : oops, sorry, quoted the wrong post ;) 

• Like 3