The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends Aug 31, 2024 ×

New News on WNW: 16 April 2020

GazzaS

Guest DannyVM
15 hours ago, TJTX said:

I was very lucky, just si happened to place an order for an Albatross and Pup about a week and a half ago.  The only other one I really want is an Se.5, but those have been gone a long time.  I've got just 4 Wingnut kits but I'm happy.  I dont build them often, but when I do I very much enjoy them.  I'm debating on the Alby or Pup after my F-4.

Maybe the Roden Se.5a Tony? I did the same yesterday regarding the Dr.I

Guest DannyVM
8 hours ago, The Dude said:

I like your idea for a WnW tribute,, Here is 90% of my WnW stash and the builds that are in my display case. The rest are on display at our local hobby shop.

:wtf:Very nice ......you can build completly Jasta's with those beauty's:o

Guest DannyVM
7 hours ago, harv said:

Now I feel like an amature....harv

20200417_191708.jpg

No no Harv, you got one Brit fighting against two Germans...........:lol:

Guest DannyVM
5 hours ago, Bill_S said:

I placed an order for a Camel from a shop in Buffalo prior to seeing any of this news. My order has been "processing" for the better part of a week now. I have a number of WNW kits in the stash; all but the Felixstowe are single seaters. I was really looking forward to that Dr.1 :-(

I would love to have that felixstowe in my hands, but i got two problems.......I can't store the box, and certainly can't display the model.........:rtfm:

Guest Dekenba
5 hours ago, Clunkmeister said:

We’ll get them all soon enough. I’m sure. I guess we could scratch out a DH.4 with Ninak parts and other goodies.

Couldn't agree more.

With WNW now doing a good impression of the Monty Python parrot - deceased or sleeping - the market is clear for any company thinking of kitting WWI models.

Beforehand, imagine investing heavily in a kit, only to find WNW releasing the very same aircraft? Your sales would plummet & your losses soar. Now that particular risk has passed - at least for now - , I expect to see popular subjects like the DH.4, BE.2c, from other manufacturers. 

Even if WNW does fly gloriously out of the flames like a phoenix, in its new guise I'd expect it to be profit seeking (otherwise, what's the point), hence it'll kit subjects which will sell - DH.4, BE.2, Dr.I, etc. - rather than some obscure German two seater that PJ wanted a model of.

Roden may re-enter the market. CSM might go full on WWI now. Special Hobby have flirted with WWI stuff, and Silver WIngs & Lukgraph could both do very good resin models of WWI subjects. "New-WNW", if such a beast pops into life, will surely start re-boxing the existing moulds, as the development costs are sunk and it's the easiest, quickest and most likely route to profitability.

So, don't panic buy at stupid prices! Be patient, work on the kits you do have and, before too long, the WWI 1/32 production line will fire up again, albeit not in the format we've been used to this last 10 years.

Guest DannyVM
49 minutes ago, Dekenba said:

Couldn't agree more.

With WNW now doing a good impression of the Monty Python parrot - deceased or sleeping - the market is clear for any company thinking of kitting WWI models.

Beforehand, imagine investing heavily in a kit, only to find WNW releasing the very same aircraft? Your sales would plummet & your losses soar. Now that particular risk has passed - at least for now - , I expect to see popular subjects like the DH.4, BE.2c, from other manufacturers. 

Even if WNW does fly gloriously out of the flames like a phoenix, in its new guise I'd expect it to be profit seeking (otherwise, what's the point), hence it'll kit subjects which will sell - DH.4, BE.2, Dr.I, etc. - rather than some obscure German two seater that PJ wanted a model of.

Roden may re-enter the market. CSM might go full on WWI now. Special Hobby have flirted with WWI stuff, and Silver WIngs & Lukgraph could both do very good resin models of WWI subjects. "New-WNW", if such a beast pops into life, will surely start re-boxing the existing moulds, as the development costs are sunk and it's the easiest, quickest and most likely route to profitability.

So, don't panic buy at stupid prices! Be patient, work on the kits you do have and, before too long, the WWI 1/32 production line will fire up again, albeit not in the format we've been used to this last 10 years.

I think the HK Lancaster will be now the number one on many bomber fans their list's now the WNW Lanc will not be released.

Guest Dekenba
3 hours ago, DannyVM said:

I think the HK Lancaster will be now the number one on many bomber fans their list's now the WNW Lanc will not be released.

Yes - I think those bashing its "many faults" will quietly buy a HK Lanc now.

I found it well worth buying, even if it doesn't resemble a quilt.

• Administrators
3 minutes ago, Dekenba said:

Yes - I think those bashing its "many faults" will quietly buy a HK Lanc now.

I found it well worth buying, even if it doesn't resemble a quilt.

There is NOTHING wrong with the HK Lanc. It’s an absolutely amazing kit. Loaded with detail, and very easy to build. It’s got its spots, no doubt, but it builds into a superb representation of a Lanc.  Yes, maybe there are a few minor shortcomings, but the aftermarket has stepped up in a big way with that kit.    The fixes for that kit are simple and well documented by the many build logs here and the “tweaks” page that is open and pinned here. 

Barracuda makes a Gee set, both smooth and block tread wheels, and other resin goodness, AirScale has the panel kit, HGW and Eduard have seatbelts and other goodies, Master has barrels, and decals are available everywhere. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Guest DannyVM
59 minutes ago, Clunkmeister said:

There is NOTHING wrong with the HK Lanc. It’s an absolutely amazing kit. Loaded with detail, and very easy to build. It’s got its spots, no doubt, but it builds into a superb representation of a Lanc.  Yes, maybe there are a few minor shortcomings, but the aftermarket has stepped up in a big way with that kit.    The fixes for that kit are simple and well documented by the many build logs here and the “tweaks” page that is open and pinned here. 

Barracuda makes a Gee set, both smooth and block tread wheels, and other resin goodness, AirScale has the panel kit, HGW and Eduard have seatbelts and other goodies, Master has barrels, and decals are available everywhere. 

Indeed well said Ernie. Every kit has his flaws, and i'm sure for some the WNW kit would also, but still, this is modeling and enough is for sale these day's regarding aftermarket that it will build into a fanatastic model.

1 hour ago, Clunkmeister said:

For me, the best part of the HK kit is that it's more or less a Mk X which is what I'd want to build anyways. 

Just need to get some of the recent AM releases for it. 

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Bomber_County said:

Well I’ve got a big fat doughnut of WnW stash, that’s zero btw, one on the bench and that will bee the end for me.......let’s just pray it doesn’t descend into “scalpers” paradise.......

I want at least one more Pfalz D.III, but they seem pretty scarce.  Found two on EBAY one wanted 350$AUD including postage, and the other wanted 300$.   A bit more than I want to pay as it's probably one of the simplest bip's that WNW made.

• Like 2

Guest Dekenba
1 hour ago, GazzaS said:

I want at least one more Pfalz D.III, but they seem pretty scarce.  Found two on EBAY one wanted 350$AUD including postage, and the other wanted 300$.   A bit more than I want to pay as it's probably one of the simplest bip's that WNW made.

Don't do it!

4 minutes ago, Dekenba said:

Don't do it!

Don't you worry, my friend!  I'll have to build a lot of models before I reach that level of desperation.  And by then, hopefully they've been released by somebody else.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Bomber_County said:

Well I’ve got a big fat doughnut of WnW stash, that’s zero btw

Continue with your great looking Camel and you will be addicted, there is no way out of the vortex than buy more of the WNW stuff :D.

Cheers Rob

• Like 1

• Administrators
11 hours ago, Bomber_County said:

Well I’ve got a big fat doughnut of WnW stash, that’s zero btw, one on the bench and that will bee the end for me.......let’s just pray it doesn’t descend into “scalpers” paradise.......

Phil, whatcha looking for? 

• Like 1

I was just reading over on Farcebook that some speculative doubt that anyone is gonna be able to fork out the money for PJ's moulds.    Hopefully they go to auction without too big of a reserve.   ...and soon.

• Like 1

Guest Dekenba
3 hours ago, GazzaS said:

I was just reading over on Farcebook that some speculative doubt that anyone is gonna be able to fork out the money for PJ's moulds.    Hopefully they go to auction without too big of a reserve.   ...and soon.

This depends upon what exactly is going on in WNW legally.

If the company is insolvent & appoints a receiver, all assets must be sold until there are sufficient funds to pay any outstanding invoices. There can be no reserve prices, goods sell at whatever they sell for.

If the company are voluntarily closing & pay off all their creditors, they can chose to do whatever they wish with the assets. 

I'd hazard a guess that WNW are voluntarily closing, at least at this point, because they have not appointed receivers. In which case, the fate of the moulds is entirely in the owners hands.

Could PJ dissolve WNW, wait until the dust settles, and then a year or two down the road start up again under a different name and business plan ? I have heard of other businesses doing that................ is that a consideration do you think? If he can retain the copy rights and the molding equipment...................... ?

• Like 1

Guest Dekenba
7 minutes ago, Jeff said:

Could PJ dissolve WNW, wait until the dust settles, and then a year or two down the road start up again under a different name and business plan ? I have heard of other businesses doing that................ is that a consideration do you think? If he can retain the copy rights and the molding equipment...................... ?

Absolutely a possibility.

The fact that the company is not in receivership suggests that PJ can sit on the entire assets is he so wishes, bringing them back when he wants to.

The problem with that approach is that you lose a lot of goodwill, customers move on, other suppliers enter the market & your state of the art moulds may be overtaken whilst they are sat in a cupboard somewhere.

For me personally, I'm going to plan assuming WNW don't issue a single kit ever again. Roden, Silver Wings, Lukgraph, Special Hobby, Hasegawa's old inter-war kits & CSM offer some very good, interesting kits. 

There is scope for the AM market to look at these other manufacturers, or look at what Encore did with Roden kits - added some quality PE & resin, printed new decals and reboxed the Roden kit. The Encore Dr.I & SE.5a are lovely kits.

Not to forget the existing WNW kits in your stash. Plus the many thousands of unbuilt kits that find their way to EBay.

To summarise - work with what we do have, rather than worry about what we're missing out on!