The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

HMS Speedy, 1/64 scale Brig/Sloop by Vanguard Models

Clunkmeister

• Administrators
On 5/29/2020 at 3:01 AM, DocRob said:

Looking good, seeing your kit, these gunports look to be laser cut. The last I did with my Kutter was to drill them and to give them an equally square contour with sanding. Not very funny and not so simple.

Cheers Rob

Rob, the gunports are laser cut, yes. Also, the marks for the gun tackle are there as well, along with markings for the top of the main wale.  

I cant even imagine the time savings that will give. 

And the main deck is laser etched as well.  I’m not sure how much I like that, although because it’s my first build, I’ll just run with it this time. 

The windlass drum and guns are nice resin castings as well.  Very nice!

• Like 4

• Administrators

Carrying on....

As of this morning  I have four more on each side in place.  Suddenly the skill just “clicked”, and now I’d love to go back and do it over with what I know now :)

But the good news is the planks are thick and will be sanded to the final exact form,then a pearwood second layer applied over the lime wood. Matter of fact, eagle eyes will see I’ve been shaping a bit already....

I’m certainly learning new skills here, several of which will benefit me greatly when I finally get busy on my big Fokker Super Universal.

AF3612B7-753B-4F25-B6E0-9CBEA97E5BFB.jpeg

115B4A1F-A0E6-4571-9FA9-588C07DB0657.jpeg

• Like 7

• Administrators

After another ration of grog, here we are. 

The missing piece on the stern is normal.  A stealer is inserted into the open area, and is quite common in full scale shipbuilding.  The whole idea here is that the planks, as much as possible, should follow the natural lines of the hull, and not to force them to do something they don’t want to.   The glue marks will, of course, sand off  the entire hull will be planed and blocked to a smooth, flowing form.

I’m actually quite enjoying the change of pace with this.

5D2C31D5-8204-4D29-A00B-17EBFA8F8465.jpeg

74F0E871-74D1-43DB-912B-CAB740D367D0.jpeg

382E7DD7-C897-4A7D-9BE6-09B9CBF7E154.jpeg

E804145B-908D-4A6B-B791-657481F40B06.jpeg

442F29F9-6FAF-4447-AC7E-BE08D0847D45.jpeg

• Like 5

• Administrators

The first planking is complete. Here she is almost complete last night.

Note to self: next time I do one of these, install the

garboard planks first, then plank down to reach the garboard, instead of trying to fit it last.

Grrrrrrrrr

B7A2A7FF-63FF-4C41-B630-ABA6A22F9046.jpeg

• Like 3

Cool, you reached an important milestone. Take your time sanding everything smooth for the second planking. From now on, I will follow even closer, as it's exactly where I am with my Kutter, which will hit my bench again soon.

Cheers Rob

• Like 2

• Administrators
On 6/14/2020 at 8:01 AM, Bomber_County said:

Does that mean we have to refer to Ernie as Commodore Miester or is he just a salty old sea dog.......:respect:

I'm now an armchair Commodore.  I haven't sailed anything larger than a paper boat in 15 years.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• Administrators
8 hours ago, DocRob said:

Cool, you reached an important milestone. Take your time sanding everything smooth for the second planking. From now on, I will follow even closer, as it's exactly where I am with my Kutter, which will hit my bench again soon.

Cheers Rob

Rob, I'm very surprised how much I'm enjoying this build. What a change of pace!!  I won't build wood ships only, but I'll definitely build many more.   I'm looking forward to the parts that more blend with our plastic hobby: the coppering of the bottom, the painting, rigging and weathering, etc.

Building the basic hull form is a touch tedious at times.  And I still need to shape it and install the second 'pretty' layer of planking.

• Like 2

• Administrators

Well then. 

First planking complete, and now I’m attacking her with a small finger plane and a block with 220 grain paper.

What a breath of fresh air this is!   I’m actually enjoying myself, and so far I haven’t cocked it all up. 

1299238F-7A6D-479C-828A-68CACA974C8D.jpeg

244FB512-08EE-4EB3-94A1-7DDA3F709C32.jpeg

• Like 8

When you takin' it in the bath?

Seriously, it looks amazing. Never contemplated anything like this but your efforts and crazypoet's picket boat do make it look like an interesting change of scene. However, I'd want to find something cheap and simple to jump in with - the thought of bu**ering up something as nice as this would make me weep.

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • Administrators
18 hours ago, Bill_S said:

Looking fantastic, Ernie! With so many projects on the go, how do you keep from losing parts? Somehow, the tailplane from my Pfalz has gone missing...

Ahhh heck!  D.lll or D.Xll?  It should be easy enough to trace a pattern and send it to you to form from sheet styrene

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Clunkmeister said:

Ahhh heck!  D.lll or D.Xll?  It should be easy enough to trace a pattern and send it to you to form from sheet styrene

No worries, Ernie. It's a D.III, and I have another kit. I figure as soon as I finish a scratch built one, the original will show up!

• Like 3