The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

Another "Where did this come from?" thread...

ScottsGT

So last night I was going through my stash of kits and low and behold, I find a trumpeter F-18E single seater Super Hornet kit.  I remember buying the two seater F years ago from Tower Hobbies.  But for the life of me, I had no idea I even had this kit. :wacko:  In all seriousness, I have a pretty good memory.  I can usually look at a kit and remember if it was eBay, a forum deal or from an on line hobby shop.  But I have no friggin' idea where or when I got this one. 

Good God I'm getting old and senile. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 7

43 minutes ago, ScottsGT said:

So last night I was going through my stash of kits and low and behold, I find a trumpeter F-18E single seater Super Hornet kit.  I remember buying the two seater F years ago from Tower Hobbies.  But for the life of me, I had no idea I even had this kit. :wacko:  In all seriousness, I have a pretty good memory.  I can usually look at a kit and remember if it was eBay, a forum deal or from an on line hobby shop.  But I have no friggin' idea where or when I got this one. 

Good God I'm getting old and senile. 

Yeah, My memeory isn’t that great, but usually i know my kits. occasionally I look and find something new. A little while ago, I opened a cardboard box I had in my closet and found about 6 different armor kits, can’t remember where I got them. I also found that I had two 1/32 TA-4J’s, I only remember buying one. 

• Like 6

Is it possible the kits are reproducing in your absence? I mean, you bought the two seater and now you've got a single seater as well...

Not a bad thing necessarily.

As for kits that you don't recall buying, I'm that way with AM bits. Which means you end up with AM for a kit you don't own. 

Carl

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

• Administrators

I opened a cardboard box in my barn last weekend and found five 1/35 armor kits that I was absolutely sure that I had sold at the last Nats in Omaha.  I had zero idea I had them, and back then I had zero idea how I had got them in the first place

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

My mom and I had the same problem back when we were heavily collecting books. I, being more of a nerd and used to making stupid lists, already had lists of books I was looking for that I could at least check off, but my mother was starting to come home with repeats. We were getting into the hundreds of books at that point and there was no digital technology to help us yet.

Truth is, even now that the tech exists I have yet to use a book database to organize my collection. It's just there aren't very many used bookstores around these days so I don't buy as much anymore.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, BlrwestSiR said:

Is it possible the kits are reproducing in your absence? I mean, you bought the two seater and now you've got a single seater as well...

Not a bad thing necessarily.

As for kits that you don't recall buying, I'm that way with AM bits. Which means you end up with AM for a kit you don't own. 

Carl

It’s funny you say that, because today I looked inside a 1/32 tamiya phantom box and found a few pieces of AM I didn’t know I had. I have AMS intake plugs, a resin TER, and a couple of resin seats, the rest of the kit is new. Some of this of course is from buying second hand kits that have stuff with them.

• Like 5

15 minutes ago, 1to1scale said:

It’s funny you say that, because today I looked inside a 1/32 tamiya phantom box and found a few pieces of AM I didn’t know I had. I have AMS intake plugs, a resin TER, and a couple of resin seats, the rest of the kit is new. Some of this of course is from buying second hand kits that have stuff with them.

The ones that have me scratching my head is the 2 complete extra sprues for Tamiya's F-4 kits. Plus an extra set of the MLG legs in a blister pack. I know I salvaged the canopies from my very first F-4J but that doesn't explain the second one. Or the gear. 

I've also got extra sprues of Tamiya Spitfire canopies. Again, I've never bought extra sprues. They have come in handy though. 

• Like 3

18 hours ago, [CAT]CplSlade said:

My mom and I had the same problem back when we were heavily collecting books. I, being more of a nerd and used to making stupid lists, already had lists of books I was looking for that I could at least check off, but my mother was starting to come home with repeats. We were getting into the hundreds of books at that point and there was no digital technology to help us yet.

Truth is, even now that the tech exists I have yet to use a book database to organize my collection. It's just there aren't very many used bookstores around these days so I don't buy as much anymore.

And not only that, you can hardly give away good books, even one in pristine condition..... ask me how I know....:(

• Like 1

I decided last year to move my library to get it closer to my modelling area, In the process I reorganized it to make it easier to find things and found I had 10 duplicates of soft cover books and like mentioned above it's tough to give them away, partially due to what it costs to ship them. I had close to 100 hard cover books, mostly general subjects about WWII that I ended up donating to a local library. The were happy to get them and any they didn't want for their collection they sell to raise money for new books.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1