The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

Fokker E.V / D.VIII Parasol Mikro Mir 1/32

53 minutes ago, GazzaS said:

Rob,

A stunner for sure!   Great job!  All of those little things pay off!

Thanks Gaz, there are some projects, which challenge me with all the needed input, but never frustrated me like this one. Sometimes a build like the Fokker is better than a shake and bake kit to gain confidence. It also helped to envision a detailed picture of the finished Fokker in my head, including solutions for what I considered the biggest challenges.

Cheers Rob 

• Like 3

The Fokker is done and RFI'd, so on with the Fokker. In this case with the 1/72 incarnation from Arma Hobby.
I prepared many parts along the big Fokker, like the streaked wings and others, only scaled down with finer brush strokes and more thinned colours. 
The plastic and fit of the kit is mediocre. There is some flash and therefore more cleanup than expected, but nothing really disturbing. Other things are better realized, than with the bigger kit, like including a little jig for the wheel struts and mould the V-shaped wing struts directly onto the cowling.
The fuselage, after applying the inner decals and details like the tiny seat with PE seat belts, received a coat of gloss white and got the perfectly cut and good to work with Lozenge decals applied.
I opted for the spoked PE wheels, which were a pain to assemble, but the use of the wheel hub of the big Fokker as a bending template, helped getting the cones right.

IMG_8432.thumb.JPG.3155dbb72e92e284c47963572af3ff1c.JPG

That is where I am now. Not shown are the wings already with Polish markings and Gazpatch 08/15 MG's which are readily painted

IMG_8433.thumb.JPG.6c5cd6ca18f414a8f8f0f3ecd5b51b88.JPG

Cheers Rob

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, DocRob said:

The Fokker is done and RFI'd, so on with the Fokker. In this case with the 1/72 incarnation from Arma Hobby.
I prepared many parts along the big Fokker, like the streaked wings and others, only scaled down with finer brush strokes and more thinned colours. 
The plastic and fit of the kit is mediocre. There is some flash and therefore more cleanup than expected, but nothing really disturbing. Other things are better realized, than with the bigger kit, like including a little jig for the wheel struts and mould the V-shaped wing struts directly onto the cowling.
The fuselage, after applying the inner decals and details like the tiny seat with PE seat belts, received a coat of gloss white and got the perfectly cut and good to work with Lozenge decals applied.
I opted for the spoked PE wheels, which were a pain to assemble, but the use of the wheel hub of the big Fokker as a bending template, helped getting the cones right.

IMG_8432.thumb.JPG.3155dbb72e92e284c47963572af3ff1c.JPG

That is where I am now. Not shown are the wings already with Polish markings and Gazpatch 08/15 MG's which are readily painted

IMG_8433.thumb.JPG.6c5cd6ca18f414a8f8f0f3ecd5b51b88.JPG

Cheers Rob

I‘m speechless Rob! This is simply stunning. 
Are these kit-decals or Aviattic? 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, harv said:

:omg:......harv

19 minutes ago, Kaireckstadt said:

I‘m speechless Rob! This is simply stunning. 
Are these kit-decals or Aviattic? 

Thanks Amigos, the decals are provided with the kit and they are printed by Cartograph. I had some not so good experiences with Cartograph decals lately, for example some from WNW, but these are a joy to work with. They have good colour rendition and fit like a glove.
The Lozenge looks better, than what Eduard provided with their kits. For the Eduard Siemens Schuckerts I built, I used Aviattic decals, because the Eduard colours looked way off.

Cheers Rob

• Like 5

2 hours ago, GazzaS said:

That is quite impressive, Rob!  The mini version looks more difficult!

Thanks Gaz, and no, the mini Fokker isn't so difficult to build and paint, beside the spoked wheels, which are needed for only one of five different planes. Yes, everything is tiny, I've seen bigger dragonflies, even in Europe, but the kit is well designed and helps the builder with clever engineering and you get away with a bit more of simplification, at least, I hope so ;).

Cheers Rob

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Today I finished decaling and assembled the engine, cowling, rudder and front part of the fuselage. For the x-rigging of the undercarriage, I glued some UvR elastic rigging line into tiny holes of the fuselage. 
Assembly was done with CA, as I noticed, that the decals were very sensitive to Tamiya plastic glue.
The rigging will be minimized, by smartly designed PE parts for rudder and aileron horns, including the wire as PE, as can be seen on the pic of the lower tail section.
The Polish livery will make this tiny Fokker even more colourful, than the big Jasta 6 one.
Strangely the manual called for a different type of upper lozenge for the tail of the Polish planes. As I could not find any evidence of that with the German original planes, I used the also supplied same type of lozenge as on the fuselage.
The proposed would have looked weird and I doubt, that the Polish airman applied a different lozenge scheme only on the tail, so I think, it's an error in the manual.

Cheers Rob

IMG_E8439.thumb.JPG.b1f5646a72bc4f054624375ec2b5fa6b.JPG

IMG_E8438.thumb.JPG.925ca2341322ab186d1eeeb65aa40c1a.JPG

IMG_E8440.thumb.JPG.4b138710fccd096c91e00fbb3a0ff05e.JPG

IMG_E8441.thumb.JPG.199c50f8b18a9314a1ee32a88ae66ddc.JPG

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

These two are absolutely stunning, gorgeous, beautiful..........wow you excelled on these..........only just catching up.........looks like  I have 3 weeks work left then back on furlough........does mean. I could get some bench time in.........what’s the next work of art for us Rob.......:D

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Bomber_County said:

These two are absolutely stunning, gorgeous, beautiful..........wow you excelled on these..........only just catching up.........looks like  I have 3 weeks work left then back on furlough........does mean. I could get some bench time in.........what’s the next work of art for us Rob.......:D

9 hours ago, Peterpools said:

Incredible - awesome work

Thanks Phil and Peter, what's next, I'm not sure, but it will definitely not be in 1/72 :icon_eek:. Maybe it's the Vanguard Duchess of Kingston, if it ever arrives at my house. It seems to held hostage by UPS due to Brexit issues. Crazy, I mean we live in 2021 :wtf:.
There is my started Arado-234 night fighter project, the big WNW AEG G.IV is waiting, or some 1/20 MaK kits, which are great to study new painting and weathering techniques.

Cheers Rob

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Jeff said:

Fabulous work of art, Rob............ and so small.... fantastic..

Thanks Jeff.

Actual progress slows down a little, due to drying times, be it CA or varnish. Today I built up the undercarriage, which helpfully has the struts for each side connected by plastic sprue and these got glued together with the jig part. When this has dried, I attached firs the uc wing and then after, guess what, drying to the fuselage. It was a quite fiddly affair and I have some cleanup to do with residues of CA and I still have no idea, how to clean the mini wheel struts off the residues of te jig, after carefully snipping it away.

IMG_8442.thumb.JPG.259a06305d152dd2cad89971b1e98e6d.JPG

The Fokker received a sealing coat of Pledge and then I will use a clay wash, for weathering.

IMG_8443.thumb.JPG.9b69ee776906ba081e025fa31587d7df.JPG

Cheers Rob

• Like 6

54 minutes ago, Jeff said:

This just gets better and better !

46 minutes ago, BlrwestSiR said:

Wow Rob, that is a tiny kit. Id be afraid of sneezing and having it disappear into the carpet monster. 

Muchas gracias Amigos, indeed, it's very small and the risk of blowing it away with the airbrush is absolutely given. I have kits with bigger parts, than the whole Fokker thingy. The good thing, you need only drops of colour and varnish :D and there is no need for aftermarket, besides the Gaspatch 08/15 MG's, I will use.

There is almost as much work involved as with the 1/32 Fokker, that makes it a bang for the buck with a price of 15€ plus 7€ for the MG's.

Cheers Rob

• Like 3

1 hour ago, DocRob said:

Thanks Jeff.

Actual progress slows down a little, due to drying times, be it CA or varnish. Today I built up the undercarriage, which helpfully has the struts for each side connected by plastic sprue and these got glued together with the jig part. When this has dried, I attached firs the uc wing and then after, guess what, drying to the fuselage. It was a quite fiddly affair and I have some cleanup to do with residues of CA and I still have no idea, how to clean the mini wheel struts off the residues of te jig, after carefully snipping it away.

IMG_8442.thumb.JPG.259a06305d152dd2cad89971b1e98e6d.JPG

The Fokker received a sealing coat of Pledge and then I will use a clay wash, for weathering.

IMG_8443.thumb.JPG.9b69ee776906ba081e025fa31587d7df.JPG

Cheers Rob

What a colorful variant Rob ! Didn’t know until now, that the Poland Air Force flew this plane.

Will turn out as beautiful as her bigger sister! 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Kaireckstadt said:

What a colorful variant Rob ! Didn’t know until now, that the Poland Air Force flew this plane.

Thanks Kai, actually the plane I build is the one who scored the first aerial victory for the Polish airforce. The planes were captured in 1919 and some were in usable condition On 29.04.1919 pilot Stefan Stec downed an Ukrainian Nieuport fighter.

Cheers Rob

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

7 hours ago, DocRob said:

I still have no idea, how to clean the mini wheel struts off the residues of te jig, after carefully snipping it away.

Rob,

This is the perfect place for the electric toothbrush and double sided tape.  You can have some of the tape and sandpaper actually outside the wheel, allowing you to work in places about 1/3 inch high.  Keeping your touch light, the abrasive can do the work with almost no pressure on the strut.

Gaz

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, GazzaS said:

This is the perfect place for the electric toothbrush and double sided tape.  You can have some of the tape and sandpaper actually outside the wheel, allowing you to work in places about 1/3 inch high.  Keeping your touch light, the abrasive can do the work with almost no pressure on the strut.

I thought about that too and started to prepare an electric toothbrush last week. But this place is so tiny and fragile, I have to do it by hand. This area is smaller than a tooth to brush :D.

Cheers Rob

IMG_8445.thumb.JPG.5a59f94b6336357035a009884db75142.JPG

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Slowly but surely, the midget Fokker is closing in on the finish line. I added a Flory clay wash, where I removed the residues very careful and matte varnished fuselage and wings. I added the cross bracing on the undercarriage using Uschis elastic rigging thread. The 08/15 MG's from Gaspatch were added and I tried to add round counters made from tin foil, but lost one of the decals and left them away, as I couldn't find an adequate substitute. The Ammo feeds are made from PE. I added a small windscreen, after cutting the supplied Acetate one to fit. The prop was also painted in desert yellow and got an oil colour treatment and will be varnished next.

Next step is to mount the wings and the supplied PE aileron rigging, and I hope it will work again with the little one :D.

Cheers Rob

IMG_8453.thumb.JPG.7b2ec5b5c3aa49d3dcf9b031c9d443de.JPG

IMG_8454.thumb.JPG.17200696249feb8fe30f7ba22c360c27.JPG

• Like 2