The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

AK Extreme Metals v Alclad

GusMac

I've never used Alclad metallics due to their lacquer nature and my wife having a health issue which precludes using anything too noxious. I've just tried the Extreme Metals paints and found them very nice to use and they give what seems to be a very robust finish. Most importantly, my wife finds the smell tolerable.

So, my question is to anyone who has used Alclad and the Extreme Metals and how do they compare?

I'm tempted to do a NMF P-47D as that was the first LSP kit I attempted when I got back into modelling and I did it using rattle can AS-12 as it was before I had an airbrush. So I'd like to revisit it and do it better and I'm wondering if the Extreme Metals are an option for this.

Gus

• Like 6

Having used both, I like the Xtreme Metal more. They seem to be less fragile than Alclad and for me, have sprayed nicer. I've found it too easy to flood the model surface when I used Alclad. I'm sure it's user error but it happens frequently enough that u think otherwise.

Here's Xtreme Metal polished aluminum on the rims for my Stratos. This is on bare plastic with no primer.

PXL_20210102_223313485.thumb.jpg.97ad1c6b26e4b819b3d573682180b3e4.jpg

Here's Alclad stainless steel on the burner area of the F-4:

20171216_213459-600x338.jpg

The only shade where the Alclad is better is chrome. It's looks more like chrome versus Xtreme metal's version. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I've used both and I find both smell terrible. I got nice results with Alclads but it depended on the metal tones Titanium is one of the very fragile shades. Some of their products didn't cover well and were very fragile, making masking afterwards near impossible. The metal shine of the Alclads altered a lot with a varnish cover.
I tried the Extreme metals on different occasions and these are now my go-to metals. They spray well, they are more durable (I never had problems with masks) and I like their shine and fine grain. I had only slight alteration when gloss- or matte coating them. They were resistant to all my used weathering products
For a NMF job, with differently shaded panels, I would use Extreme Metals. On single shaded bare metal jobs, you can get away with the Alclads, which also have a great finish.
One Alclad tone, I especially like is exhaust manifold, which is better than what I got from Extreme Metals.
As a personal biased verdict, I prefer the Extreme Metals from AK for their general usability. Some Alclad colours give a slightly better result and some have a finer grain than the AK's and therefore a better metallic sheen. 

In the end, they both smell and I always use a mask when spraying and cleaning the airbrush and I wouldn't use them in the living areas of my house.

BTW, I alredy finished a NMF P47-D :D

Cheers Rob

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

If you use AK’S black base, be aware that it dilutes and cleans with water.

On the other hand, if you like spending an afternoon - after all we have plenty of time in these lockdown times - cleaning goo in the tiniest spots of an airbrush, you can use my goto thinner for airbrushing, i.e. Mr Levelling Thinner. Trust me when I say it’s a 100% result ;) ...

I have yet to try the MRP metal colors.

Hubert

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Thanks guys.

I tend to use Mr Levelling as my go to thinner for everything so that should be okay. I've only used the Extreme metals over black Mr Surfacer 1500 so far and I like the results but I suppose for a shinier result a gloss base might be better.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, GusMac said:

Thanks guys.

I tend to use Mr Levelling as my go to thinner for everything so that should be okay. I've only used the Extreme metals over black Mr Surfacer 1500 so far and I like the results but I suppose for a shinier result a gloss base might be better.

My attempt at humour obviously misled you: AK black primer + Mr Levelling Thinner = tar-like goo in the airbrush  within 5 ‘ . You are then good for a good afternoon cleaning, with all the hard stuff you can find, including acetone :(

Hubert

• Like 4

• Administrators

I've used Alclad and have had really decent results, but yeah, it's fragile.  I'd like to try AK Extreme Metals and see how they work...

As an aside, I used Mission Models Paint for the NMF on my Lanc, and absolutely LOVED it.   It's water based, you apply it over a white finish, and looks phenomenal when done.  I find it looks more realistic than some of the Over-The-Top-Shiny products like Alclad.  A nice semi matte sheen to it.

B05418FF-F5CE-4321-A9F7-1B66EC1779C8.jpeg

2B7DBA57-A131-4FC7-B719-85B206B5B165.jpeg

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, HubertB said:

If you use AK’S black base, be aware that it dilutes and cleans with water.

On the other hand, if you like spending an afternoon - after all we have plenty of time in these lockdown times - cleaning goo in the tiniest spots of an airbrush, you can use my goto thinner for airbrushing, i.e. Mr Levelling Thinner. Trust me when I say it’s a 100% result ;) ...

I have yet to try the MRP metal colors.

11 hours ago, GusMac said:

Thanks guys.

@ Hubert, just for clarification, are you referring to AK's acrylic black primer or the dedicated Extreme Metal black base?
After much praise, I tried Mr. Levelling and had the results you described, with the acrylic base and some AK acrylic colours as well as some Lifecolour's.
I made my peace with the stuff, using it to thin Tamiya acrylics, where it works perfectly good.

AK' Extreme Metal flat base is another breed and they recommend it as a base for their high polished shades like chrome and polished aluminum and that's where I used it without problems.

Cheers Rob

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, DocRob said:

@ Hubert, just for clarification, are you referring to AK's acrylic black primer or the dedicated Extreme Metal black base?
After much praise, I tried Mr. Levelling and had the results you described, with the acrylic base and some AK acrylic colours as well as some Lifecolour's.
I made my peace with the stuff, using it to thin Tamiya acrylics, where it works perfectly good.

AK' Extreme Metal flat base is another breed and they recommend it as a base for their high polished shades like chrome and polished aluminum and that's where I used it without problems.

Cheers Rob

I wish I could post a picture of it, but I just threw the stuff away in disgust after my experience. I have woved since not to touch anything "AK primer" since. But yes, this is the acrylic base IIRC.

Hubert

• Like 3

On 1/20/2021 at 10:27 PM, HubertB said:

My attempt at humour obviously misled you: AK black primer + Mr Levelling Thinner = tar-like goo in the airbrush  within 5 ‘ . You are then good for a good afternoon cleaning, with all the hard stuff you can find, including acetone :(

Hubert

Hi Hubert

No I got your meaning but I probably didn't make clear that I've no intention of buying the AK primer. I bought the black primer for the Vallejo Metal Colors which I tried previously and it just seemed like a difficult to use, watery black gloss which made no difference to the finish compared with just shooting it over the black Mr Surfacer.

After having my fingers burned by a few products I've decided to stick with that as my go to primer for everything I can. Although you might lose a bit of sheen on a few metallics, as Ernie said, some tend to be unrealistically shiny unless your doing a showroom model.

Gus

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Just catching up and I’ve used both with nearly the same results; the key is the base coat. Gloss black - not necessarily. Black is needed to bring out the metallic/reflective  look, but what is needed is a super smooth base for the metallic finish. I’ve tried most and what works best for me: Tamiya Semi Gloss Black, thinned with Mr Color Self Leveling Thinner plus a few extra drops of Mr Retarder Mild. Tamiya Gloss Black requires too many coats and the base becomes too thick, making gluing on parts a mess. Semi Gloss does the trick perfectly, requiring a lot less paint, dries faster then almost all the gloss black base coats and if needed, polishes perfectly: the perfect base coat. 
I still use a Thin primer coat to get things going.
AK vs Alclad almost the same but I have found AK Metallics a bit tougher and resist lifting from masking a bit better. I still use both and depending on the color, mix and match as needed.

Yup they both ‘smell’ and I spray them in my paint booth and wear a respirator.

Keep ‘em comin

Peter

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

I have been using Alclad (beginning with Alclad 1) for years and love it.  Haven't tried AK Xtreme as of yet as
most colors I want from Hobbyworld USA are either backordered or out of stock.  $11.00 a bottle is a bit of a
turn off.

While on the subject, what is a good replacement for MM Metalizer burnt metal?  Having trouble trying to find something
to substitute for the MM Metalizer.

Couple of my most recent finishes using Alclad 2.

Cheers,
 Jerry :piliot:

F86F-FU584-4.JPG

F86F-FU584-1.JPG

P47N-21-1.JPG

P47N-21-4.JPG

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1