The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

Texas weather

TJTX

There aren't winters in the state.  I had to cancel a flight because our planes are snowed in and were due for another bought of snow on Wednesday.   It's an absolute cluster down here.  We just aren't equipped for this type of stuff.

• Like 5

13 hours ago, TJTX said:

There aren't winters in the state.  I had to cancel a flight because our planes are snowed in and were due for another bought of snow on Wednesday.   It's an absolute cluster down here.  We just aren't equipped for this type of stuff.

Trade you temps Tony.  -4 when I got up, 3 now.  And a bit more snow than you have.  This is real unusual for
the Panhandle but usually are colder than the rest of Texas.  Suppose to go to -12 tonight. 

• Like 5

Yea this is nuts.  Its 5° here in Dallas this morning and we've only had 1 hour of working power since 4 am.  Not an easy day with a 6 month old at home.  Thankfully all my aircraft are snowed in and my wifes shift yesterday was canceled.  We're both able to be home to handle this. 

• Like 6

I don't want to be a smart ass, but you have MORE snow than we do, and you guys call "US" the great White North :rolleyes:  And I will bet for sure it is that snotty wet dog doo stuff...... heavy and very hard to deal with.... the whole world is upside down...... hang in there Tony, spring isn't far away

• Like 3

Thankfully Jeff it's the light and fluffy stuff.  Which is even weirder that it's cold enough to have that kind of snow here.  What makes it especially hard are the huge swings

Like I said, it was 70 last week and I was out building a new retaining wall and sweating.   Also, apparently I have Texas dogs.  I had to go out in the yard and clear pee and poop areas for them.

20210215_104833.jpg

20210215_104838.jpg

• Like 4

50 minutes ago, TJTX said:

Also, apparently I have Texas dogs.  I had to go out in the yard and clear pee and poop areas for them.

Lol. It was -17°C this morning and our cat was adamant on going out. I let him out the back door and watched him dance on alternating paws for a couple minutes before giving up and coming back in. 

• Like 2

Yikes, snow in Texas :unsure: Have you tried making a snowman - could be iconic.

If I could remember how to post photographs (I'm working on it), I post a few pics of good old Long island. It's been averaging snow two to three times a week and we've already had more snow then for the year!

Peter

• Like 3

Glad to see we're not the only ones getting exceptionally cold weather. We had -23C last week not too far from us overnight and it didn't get above -6C all day. Really nice powder snow which would be excellent for skiing except for the lockdown! It didn't get above freezing for 6 days then sudden jump to 7C today so we now have a soggy, slushy flooded mess.

Our dogs love the snow despite being Jack Russells, so a bit lacking in the leg department for deep snow. They just plough through it but at least being short haired it doesn't stick to them.

Hope it warms up for you soon Tony but looking at the forecast I'm not sure that's coming soon. :wacko:

• Like 3

Yea they're saying this is basically unprecedented here.  Every single county in Texas (254) was under a winter storm warning yesterday.   We had to come over to my sister in laws apartment because we have been out of power for 12 hours and it was just getting too cold for our little one (6 months old).   Now its 4 dogs, 3 adults, and a baby in a small single bedroom apartment.   If I had power at the house I probably would have fired up the grill.  

• Like 4

Seeing some pictures on tv.........best to stay off the roads for now.......... and lack of power sucks, it goes out here all the time and that begs the question.................. are we at all prepared for something REALLY serious?? I know we aren't up here, and I also have another question..... when there is a 'problem' the 'officials' always say " for more information check www. ........ " well that's all well and fine, but up here , the moment there is any sort of issue, the power goes out, and that takes out the home computer and the wifi, so I know I am not too bright, but how the Hell can you get updates at www IF you have NO power and no wifi ? And some of us don't have those fancy cell phones............. also if you are like my 99 year old dad, who has no computer, no cell phone, hard of hearing, and doesn't move very well........ what happened to the old fashioned radio, and announcements like we used to have? I know, here where I live we are no more ready for anything out of normal than flying to the moon, but I digress...... stay safe Tony, and keep little "Cubby" warm

• Like 1

On 2/14/2021 at 4:51 PM, TJTX said:

Who the hell moved my house to Canada!? It was 70° here last week and its 10° here now.  10F!!!!!!

20210214_174508.jpg

20210214_184619.jpg

I feel ya! Colder than crap here too. 8* last night. Ironically enough my challenger looked very similar. 

chall_snow.jpg

• Like 2

Snow in Texas, that's weird and with the power shut downs, I believe it's horrible situation, specially with a young one in the house. We had ice on our mountain roads last week, which is pure horror, given the steepness and was a first for me. Now we have one of our famous and feared sandstorms (Kalima), so no airbrushing today. The storm is not so bad this time, but all the dunes of the Sahara are up in our sky. That is how it looks from the garden :icon_eek:.

IMG_8213.thumb.JPG.b3655df8b9642f4da85e9829b64d6327.JPG

And this is the AQI (Air Quality Index) for today, which is normally all green and below 30. It's better to stay inside these days and close all doors and windows and try not to inhale too deep. At least it's not cold ;).

image.png.ec545692e00097c5ba81f25677cd905c.png

Cheers Rob

• Like 4

27 hours without power.  Add to that the kiddo and dogs are freaked out about being in a new place so they didn't sleep at all last night.  And the cherry on top.....

The fire alarm at my sister in laws apartment where we are staying went off at 2am.  It was 0°F outside and we had to try and figure out how to get all the dogs baby and adults into her car.  I thought 2020 was over!

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

Damn, Tony. No rest for the wicked. 

A few years ago there was a blackout here right before Christmas. We lost power for a few hours but my sister who lives a 10 minute walk away from us didn't get theirs back for almost a week.  My niece was less than 2 months old at the time so they moved in with us after the first night. 

Hope they get the power back on soon. 

Maybe you should shut the water main off? Just wondering about pipes freezing if there's no heat in your home. Last thing you'd need is burst pipes. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, TJTX said:

Yea, I'm headed back over right now to check on things.  I'll probably try and clean up stuff the best I can.  I've left two facets running so hopefully that helps.

Open all the cupboard doors under the sinks where the pipes are as well, Tony, any little bit of heat will help keep the pipes from freezing up if it gets really cold....  damn, this DOES sound like 2020 is giving you one more kick.....  keep snuggling up to little Cubbie, there bud....

• Like 2

3 hours ago, TJTX said:

Yea, I'm headed back over right now to check on things.  I'll probably try and clean up stuff the best I can.  I've left two facets running so hopefully that helps.

Leaving them dripping or running a bit definitely will help. 

Our kitchen taps would freeze if it got below -10°C before we renovated.

Guess it didn't get cold in 1894 when our house was built.  

• Like 1